fbpx
3 Post Moderation Rule for New Boarders (25 Jan 2021)

New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.

Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

More
20 Oct 2016 09:07 #80997 by robertdee
Damian's not on board...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:14 #80999 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
1. It is a very weak connection! Although one could postulate that the colored apple logo is indicative of those Indian Holi Festivals...with the colored dust. This could create for some very interesting video content, as it has...but this again might be stretching it....

2. Trump would agree with the secretive tactics of Apple, as opposed to publishing all their details in the NYT... :woohoo: or maybe he wouldn't - its like announcing the day of attack.... :silly: :blink:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:16 #81000 by robertdee
Aah, we talking about the Apple event? Wasn't referring to that when talking about Tarot. Tarot, runes, tea leaves - don't think any of them can help in predicting what Apple's up to!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:21 #81001 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
It is sometimes hard to follow, as people typically tend to veer of topic...but its all about whether a new version of FCPX will be released. (Will it be during the "hello again"? Will it be today? Will it be neither?)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:25 - 21 Oct 2016 20:02 #81002 by SWDoctor
Replied by SWDoctor on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
Seen as we're getting new hardware on the 27th, and Mark Gurman of Bloomberg mentioned on Twitter:


I have a feeling that if this is correct, we'll be seeing 10.3 on the 27th with the new Macs.

However, it does make sense that Apple might release 10.3 a week early to get people to look at the new version and explore in preparation for the Creative Summit. Let people see how the new version looks and familiarise themselves with the new features before getting them all together to talk about it? Either side of the 27th would make sense.

It's an interesting situation. I'm expecting it to be next week but any sooner and I won't be complaining.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2016 20:02 by peteramwiggins.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:29 #81003 by robertdee
I'll be happy with audio improvements - anything else will be a bonus. I'm finding it pretty unstable at the moment in Sierra which is unsurprising - didn't have any major jobs on so I made the jump. Today would be nice as I have a downtime day.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:30 #81004 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
well said SWDr, I wouldn't mind if it were today, though, I'm in between projects...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:35 #81005 by SWDoctor
Replied by SWDoctor on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
If it's been like any other version, you can compress the previous version of FCP X and run it alongside. That currently works with 10.2.2 and 10.2.3

- ]If you were hesitant on upgrading your project midway, rename FCP X with 10.2.3 in the name, then compress (which I recommend doing anyway), backup your Libraries and then update.

- Don't use 10.3 with your in progress projects and just unzip 10.2.3 after updating, then you can keep both versions in the dock

It's worked in the past, and I don't see why it wouldn't work now. Just have to remember not to launch or update your Libraries with 10.3 (that is if they even require an update?)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:40 #81007 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
Or...if you have the luxury, B) , I just load up the update on my alternate machine....use it there, wait for the kinks to be worked out, then update everything..... ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 09:42 #81008 by SWDoctor
Replied by SWDoctor on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3

waternyc wrote: Or...if you have the luxury, B) , I just load up the update on my alternate machine....use it there, wait for the kinks to be worked out, then update everything..... ;)


Or that :whistle:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 11:02 - 20 Oct 2016 11:04 #81015 by EditorGuy
Karsten, we have something in common. ;)

I'm sure it's going to blow away some, but no matter what, others will complain and whine. That's what always happens.

Here's Apple's official page about upgrading.
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202633

First, always backup everything. Data, current version of the app, EVERYTHING! Second, never upgrade mid-project. Third, never upgrade a working production Mac that is making money until you know for sure, via forums such as this one, that it is stable enough for you to safely do so.

Will it have bugs? Every new release of every app EVER has had bugs! Why? Because it is physically impossible for any company, even Apple, to realistically build every possible configuration of a computer, hardware and software, to cover every possible scenario. So some bugs will not be caught. Shortly after the initial release Apple especially has ALWAYS had a bug fix or two come VERY quickly.

Don't be foolish, don't upgrade your working Mac that makes you a living, the day of an upgrade. Either 1- have a full backup you can restore to quickly and easily if things go south. Or 2- upgrade a Mac on the side you can afford to experiment with.

And yes, things will probably be, as usual in an Apple upgrade, colorful, bright, and shiny new. Because we've waited so very, very long for this, I assume things will be very Apple-like awesome.

Again, there will be those who misunderstand things, or just have bad attitudes, and gripe. I've not time for them. I, personally, am very excited and can't wait to see what happens. B)
Last edit: 20 Oct 2016 11:04 by EditorGuy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 11:54 #81026 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
If you believe that the tool may sometimes help the fool - mid project updating is my preference....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 13:22 #81028 by Karsten Schlüter

EditorGuy wrote: Karsten, we have something in common. ;) …


… being old? ;)

… there will be those who misunderstand things…


I know exactly and TODAY what those 'misunderstanders' will say about the next version, word by word.
.... hmm, how can I deposit here a time-capsule with next weeks headlines…? :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 14:56 #81030 by waternyc
Replied by waternyc on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
Personally, I enjoy and embrace every new update...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 16:30 #81031 by VidGreg
Replied by VidGreg on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10.3
Well for what it is worth…
Apple will be hosting an Apple campus event for the FCP Summit Event and from an article posted by AppleInsider…http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/19/annual-final-cut-pro-gathering-being-held-as-apple-is-expected-to-unveil-new-macbook-pros
The title for the 2 presentations ["… The first presentation at Apple HQ, entitled "The Future: Final Cut Pro X," is scheduled from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. The second is an "Update from the Apple Product Team," from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. with no more information on the topics at the second seminar available other than the title on the existing schedule.…"]
So something will definitely be happening, but for now, no official news for date of release for FCPX 10.3. Given that at least a few people report that when going to the App Store and downloading the trial version for FCPX it showed 10.3 seems like it will be soon. [downloads failed]
It will also mean that for anyone who has an advanced copy, they can then release reviews, app and plug-in updates at that time. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the Summit organizers/presenters already have NDA protected copies. :unsure:
Now I just have to finish a couple of projects before I can update both OS to Sierra and then FCPX 10.3. I still think 10.3 will require Sierra, and will not run on earlier OSs.

'California Dreaming'
Greg

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2016 23:28 #81037 by EditorGuy
I'll be happy to share what we see the Summit! Oh wait, I can do that right now!
"I'm under NDA."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2016 01:51 #81039 by CBlakeston
Replied by CBlakeston on topic Waiting on 10.2.4 and 10
I'm guessing there will be the apple announcement. New FCPX will be shown in the keynote on new MacBook Pro's. Then later that day / night 10.3 will be released.

It can't come before the announcement because people will take the code apart and confirm the new MacBook Pro Magic Toolbar.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2016 06:07 #81043 by Karsten Schlüter

CBlakeston wrote: … New FCPX will be shown … on new MacBook Pro's. …


FCPX on tiny 15" screen-estate? ... <sigh>

… still dreamin' of a 27" 5k MacPro ... bye bye The Tube, therefor two standard GPUs in the empty space of the 'display' … with some design marvel, user interchangeable …

And:
Interesting - going on-air with v10_3 was ceased (for months?) just because of new hardware?? Cannot believe, because just of some 'strip' only a minority of hardware offers …

no, I think, The Tube shares the fate of The Cube, Mac gets in its pro version a little thicker (omg!) and slots for GPUs - that would be news.

And ask for some demo software beyond SuperMario and Pikachu ...

… if Jony would've asked me … … … :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2016 06:09 #81044 by MsJustine
I would only be too happy to work very hard to afford a shiny new, with 4 USB3.0 ports 17 inch retina macbook pro with 2x1TB SSD and 16/32 GB RAM and a non ndvidia graphics card...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2016 07:19 #81046 by Scrubelicious
As mentioned before most likely around the 27th and many will be happy and excited and some not so much.

Not so much could be features or maybe just maybe functionality.

Please Log in to join the conversation.