fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Making text overlays look like actual film 01 Dec 2021 15:35 #117746

Does anyone have any tips for this? I usually re-create text files in Photoshop, blur them slightly and add noise. It's very tricky to create convincing actual old film-look text in FCP.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Making text overlays look like actual film 01 Dec 2021 15:43 #117747

There’s a plugin called CineMatch that you might find useful. www.cinematch.com/

Making text overlays look like actual film 01 Dec 2021 15:50 #117748

Could you post an example?

Making text overlays look like actual film 01 Dec 2021 15:54 #117749

Text examples vary depending on film source (16mm, 35mm etc) and age of film.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 04:24 #117757

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 686
There's lots of FCP effect templates that do this. Shop around.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 08:31 #117764

I've been searching for years and not found any really decent ones yet.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 10:38 #117767

I've been searching for years and not found any really decent ones yet.

it's because no pre-determined effect will ever give you that

you can achieve it perfectly but you need two things : a real culture in VFX and a sense of subtlety in the making for the combination of fxs

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 11:22 #117768

With FCP's built in effects I have been: adding tiny amount of gaussian blur then the tiniest amounts of Earthquake and Underwater to give the text just a tiny bit of movement and then Film Grain.
I sometimes put the opacity at 85-95% as well to make it gel more with the footage...

Otherwise I like FilmConvert for film look and grain.

Dehancer Pro is soon coming for FCP and looks to be almost exactly what you're looking for:
www.dehancer.com

Last edit: by DmitriZigany.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 12:00 #117769

I created my own "wiggle" effect in Motion, which I find bettter than the "earthquake" effect. Will check out the "underwater" effect. I find the film grain effect tricky - it seldom matches the grain of the original film footage I'm adding the text too. Thanks for the dehancer link :)

Last edit: by BeatGirl.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 12:36 #117770

I should add that I sometimes need to re-create movie trailers in HD, when only an SD trailer is available. To do this I re-cut the trailer from the feature (scanned in HD from film) and then re-create as closely as possible (precise font matching etc) the original trailer text overlay files in Photoshop. Making these new text overlay files look film based (optically created) is a big challenge.

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 15:43 #117774

Ah, didn’t know you added them to Scans of actual film. That makes it harder of course.
FilmConvert have quite big control over size and such of the grain. Looks like Dehancer will have even more customisation though. They say it will be released end of 2021 but time’s running out for that 🙃

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 16:37 #117775

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 33
There's real film grain and then there's faux film grain. This is what true grain looks like from some 1974 Super 8 film that I transferred yesterday in 1080 ProRes. (When's the last time you laid eyes on a VW Carman Ghia?)

As an editor be careful not to cheese things up too much. All that jitter and dust and film grain effects are more often than not often over done and are evident as an added effect. Effects should NEVER be noticeable and recognized as an added effect.
Attachments:

Making text overlays look like actual film 02 Dec 2021 17:01 #117776

I think the biggest challenge here is finding ways to match real film scans. Not only does it have to be realistic, it needs to match a wide variety of different film looks/grains/movements etc.

Maybe there’s a way to use the new object tracker to make the text overlays to move with the subtle movement of the scanned film? Thus making them more cohesive with the film?

• Page: