fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 02 Oct 2012 23:26 #14681

Yes, I can't wait until the FCPX adoption rate is a little higher. Thank god for 7toX or I'd never get my work done. All the editors I hire have 7 and don't know X. Been a HUGE pain for me.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 02 Oct 2012 23:32 #14682

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 79
The sadistic side of me grins at the thought of telling an editor, "you really need to get your FCPX chops if you want to work here." Maybe you could try, "we pay FCPX freelancers a bit more since it really saves us from considerable pain on our post workflow."

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 04 Oct 2012 16:35 #14767

The sadistic side of me grins at the thought of telling an editor, "you really need to get your FCPX chops if you want to work here." Maybe you could try, "we pay FCPX freelancers a bit more since it really saves us from considerable pain on our post workflow."

Uhm...that´s what we do already.......

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 03:05 #14840

Egads the natives are getting restless, and the haters are already sharpening their knives!

I've seen more than a couple tweets and posts on message boards positing that the reason FCPX hasn't been updated in "so long" is because Apple is loosing interest and will quietly dump the app like SHAKE.

Ugh!

Now I just want the update out to shut these people up...

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 04:45 #14841

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The update will be so filled with awesomeness that Adobe will break out in a cold sweat . . . or maybe they're battling a hellacious bug they simply wont let out the door until it's vanquished.

You have to look at the key indicators. LIke if it's quiet around the Ripple Training house it means they're so many changes they're updating all the tutorials and coming out with new ones. Larry Jordan hasn't done blog post since late August. Philip Hodgetts and team are busy doing magic with all the XML changes. BorisFX is holding up Continuum Complete release because of massive changes going on under the FCPX hood and plugin handling.

It's going to be BIG but the haters are ready to pounce. I mean like there's no GrubHub integration to order pizza while editing.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 07:59 #14844

• Dawar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Can't wait for the multichannel audio editing tools.
The mysterious new software Larry Jordan talked about could be aimed at collaborative editing.
That could be a real point for FCPX being more used in post houses.
Last edit: by Dawar.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 08:13 #14845

hmmm I would say October - November :ohmy: got to go :whistle:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 10:54 #14849

I mailed Apple today with Feedback about my wish list of the R3D support.
In short (my feedback form was longer):

- being able to just drop R3D in the timeline, optionally have FCP X make Proxy Prores or Optimized regular Prores.

- Have the R3D files have the settings and adjustments you made to them in REDCINE. I think Premiere already does this.

- Have access to the RAW settings trough a RAW tab in the inspector or something. ISO, WB, TINT, SHADOW, ...

- Being able to color correct trough COLOR WHEELS with the simple secondaries, like they have now, on the RAW file. Resolve is a great program, but it has a roundtrip and the free version has an HD-export limit. It's still a very great value, but I don't think this is a reason for Apple not to make their color correction better. If you could color correct with color wheels and simple secondaries in your NLE on the RAW file, having access to a 4K export, and involving NO round tripping, this would be great for editors.

I also asked for a timecode viewer like we had in FCP 7, a working Timecode filter (generator and/or reader), and smart rendering. We'll see how it goes :-)
Last edit: by sidderke.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 11:27 #14850

Although we don't edit as much R3D footage anymore as before (for high-end commercials and film projects we receive more and more ProRes4444 or ARRIRAW footage from the Alexa these days) I think your wish-list is correct.

Just one small correction: Premiere does not deal with R3D footage as smoothly as one might think. Even in CS6 there is no way you can update multiple RMD's at once, which is a major pain. There is a workaround: exporting out your sequence as an FCP XML and then re-importing it. Re-importing the FCP XML forces Premiere to reload all the meta-data from the R3D's. Let's hope FCP10 will handle this better ;)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 15:58 #14855

Yes, let's hope so. The program has very new foundations, so I'm also a bit critical that Apple should be able to have a GOOD implementation of features that Adobe has already been doing for 3 years or so.

Ronny, if you don't mind me asking, are located in Belgium, right?

What kind of work do you do? And are you guys completely on FCP X, or how does your workflow look like? How does FCP X work in your workflow?

Kind regards and sorry for the off-topic.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 16:30 #14856

It's not really a matter of being the first to do something, it's a matter of doing it right. And we have had so many issues with Premiere (especially in the field of media management) that we stopped testing it after six months. That's why I'm saying: I hope Apple does this better.

My roots are at Studio L'Equipe, which you may know as Belgium's largest independent post house for feature film and broadcast post-production. I also have two smaller production companies for sports and documentary work and a post shop in Paris. No, we haven't moved to FCP10 exclusively. In the NLE field we have three FCP10 stations for broadcast production, a small number of classic FCP bays for film as well as two Quantel bays and an Avid station. But as things evolve, and after a really wonderful experience with using FCP10 for national television at the Olympic Games, I am considering to use it more and more in our production workflow. Unfortunately I don't have much spare time at this moment, but I have promised to publish a detailed report on how we have used multiple FCP10 bays to cover the 2012 Games in London. As I said: it was a wonderful experience. Wether we make the full switch or not will depend on how much of our personal wish-list gets fulfilled in the next few updates B)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 17:03 #14857

Thanks!

I agree though, that it's more important to get it right then to get it first. But FCP X would be one of the latest to get R3D support at this point, so I also think Apple *should* get it right.

Would be very interested in hearing your experiences of using FCP X.
If you have your report finished, give me a sign ;-)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 17:51 #14861

• Mals82
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Ronny, I too am anxious to read your report on FCP X, I'm glad to hear it's working well in big facilities and hope your report will encourage more people to adopt it! I'm in Paris, and here it seems there's a long way to go before seeing larger adoption. I'm working mostly in 7 still and off hours giving fcpx a try, I'm dreaming with using it to cut a feature I have planned for next year but would really like some more improvements/stability. Anyway, if you ever need another editor here in Paris I would be glad to meet you!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 18:05 #14862

Please send me your co-ordinates and CV (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and I will contact you. You can e-mail me in French if you wish.

Sorry for these off-topic messages, let the speculation on the next update continue! :)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 18:31 #14864

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ronny, I don't think your comments are too far off topic. They provide context.

Each of us speculating about feature additions and improvements, are colored by our workflow needs. You've provided us your workflow in general which is why some of us do look forward to your more detailed description.

Also important is that we, in this thread, have a strong desire for this upgrade because we've likely decided that FCPX has a key role to play in our post workflow. Yet, I don't doubt some of us in this particular thread feel a bit "outcast" or ostracized because we've made this choice. Even your most general statements validate FCPX's viability in a "broadcast" or "nominally" professional/high end environment.

While each of us realize FCPX is in a very young state, it's why we are so eager for this update, I suspect we also believe it has core functions that excel in a demanding professional environment. Your use of FCPX demonstrates that.

It's why we anticipate this update. That would make your comments very much on topic.
Last edit: by cseeman.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 20:44 #14874

Hi Craig,

I can confirm that FCP10 is already a very valid tool for us. I had received an invitation from Apple to do a public presentation about our work with FCP10 at IBC in Amsterdam but unfortunately I had to say no because I had to be in London the day the presentation would took place. It seems to me that the people who criticize this application the most have all the time in the world to vent their opinions on the internet, whereas those who use it professionally have too much work to talk about it :P

And you couldn't be more correct when you say "it has core functions that allow it to excel in a demanding professional environment". Some of them still waiting to be revealed. As soon as I find some time I will post my report here and on Ken's site.

Kind regards,

Ronny

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 21:00 #14876

This is a great discussion, and a welcome change from, "Maybe next Tuesday...".

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 21:04 #14879

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hi Craig,

... a public presentation about our work with FCP10 ...here and on Ken's site.

Kind regards,

Ronny

Perhaps you'd consider doing a live streaming presentation/talk as well. There's a lot of flexibility in that. There's a very big potential audience. I'd imagine the FCP.co and Ken would find it valuable. Please do contact me to discuss.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 09 Oct 2012 21:07 #14880

Craig,

I certainly will consider this.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 10 Oct 2012 10:44 #14901

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
While R3D integration would be nice it would be last on my list of things for Apple to implement.
In the TV world here in OZ it's very rare to see any R3D footage which is pretty much reserved for Films, TVCs and high end corporates and even there it is still a niche format.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011