fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 16:24 #15159

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
The only tie I can see with the upcoming iteration of FCPX and hardware is that if Apple is dropping support for some older GPUs, they'd want new machines available. I could see that happening due to older MacMinis, 13" MacBookPros and iMacs for example.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 17:13 #15166

I'll say it will come out 20th of November!

Looking forward to it but keeping my expectations low, so hope it will make me happy that day :)

In the last months I compiled a list of 10+ feature requests, hope to see at least a couple adressed in there!

random top 3:

-Apply Custom Name on Ingest-
Being able to have the ‘Apply custom name’ dialog available in the ‘Import from Camera Device’ window. This would allow custom naming presets to be saved and applied on ingest. Effectively allowing custom metadata driven file names that would ease the media management at a 'finder' level.

-Sharing media and compounds between Event Folders-
Have the ability to move compounds and clips from one Event to another, copying the soft link to the media, rather than the media itself. Within FCPX interface, If you drag & drop Clips or Compound clips to another Event holding dow the 'alt' button the "create link" overlay symbol appears next to the mouse cursor but releasing the Clips or Compound into the other Event triggers FCPX into coping the actual media back into the destination Event Source Media Folder.

-Shared Processing-
Being able to set up shared processing or feed all or part of the background transcoding to an attached render farm. There are signs that this will be possible via “Sharing” services, is it a planned feature?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 20:31 #15180

Feature: touch screen support and a set of special thimble controls, one for each finger. Will prevent smudging of the screen. Each thimble can be customizable to be a specific tool, like "blade" or "ripple/roll". Combinations of various fingers/swipes can be used for different functions.
Someone MUST have added this one to the wish list before!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 20 Oct 2012 18:43 #15337

A function that I would like to see in an upcoming update is being able to trim multiple elements at the same time.

When you have a clip in the primary storyline with maybe a b-roll element in the secondary, plus a graphic, and maybe a connected sound effect. It would be great to be able to define all of these elements to act together, either by default, or using an option key.

One option of how this could be done, hold down the Option key while clicking on the end of a primary storyline clip, brings up the trim tool for that clip, as well as any connected clips.

Or draw a selection around a range of edits (or manually select them) and the operation you perform to one clip is performed to all.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 20 Oct 2012 20:56 #15340

Also known as 'Asymmetric Trimming' and would a very welcome addition
to the FCPX trimming toolbox

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 20 Oct 2012 23:13 #15342

I just read Larry Jordan's quickie bit on "Asymmetric Trimming".

www.larryjordan.biz/asymmetric-trimming-in-the-timeline/

I don think thats exactly what I'm referring to.

Let's give a simple example. Lets say you have a shot in the primary storyline. You've connected an sound effect (let's say ambience of a chicken farm) to the clip . The both end at the same point in the timeline. Right now if you shorten your clip, the audio effect now overlaps into the next shot, and you have to go to that audio clip and shorten it seperately. What I'd like to see is being able to trim both the Primary Storyline visual clip and the connected audio clip together.

There are a lot of exceptions that I could see for not wanting ALL clips connected to a clip to trim, only the ones that line up with the beginning or the end depending on the kind of trim you want do to. I even wonder if it would be worthwhile to be able to set up properties for connected clips.

Hmmm...

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Oct 2012 10:10 #15344

If the video clip and audio clip need stay together why not just group them?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Oct 2012 10:54 #15345

• Dawar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10

Yes you can group the clips, but then you loose visual organization.
Grouping is good when work is done, but while editing, I need to do and undo things.
For now, I like working in primary storyline, but I agree that fine-tuning secondary storylines is a pain.
We won very convenient things by giving up tracks, but we lose precision with secondary storylines.
It has already been discussed, but I hope next update will improve timeline tools, as well as visual organization.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 22 Oct 2012 13:01 #15369

I suppose the idea is that if you have a connected clip (audio or video) that ends either before or after the edit into the next shot, but when you trim the primary storyline clip you want the connected clips position to remain relative to the primary storyline. For example, you want that audio ambience to always bleed 10 frames into the next shot, whether you add a second, or take away 15 frames.

Compound clips are good for grouping elements that you know all end at the same moment. But their downside is that either audio connected to the compound clip doesn't move if you adjust the shots within it (again, a specific sound effect is a good example), OR if you put the audio inside the compound clip then you cant hear any of the rest of the main timeline audio when you're playing back. That element, being able to hear the "full" Project audio from within a compound clip would be a VERY welcome feature.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 10:59 #15410

Anyone see this? vimeo.com/51930271

Look at the interface buttons, Splash screen says 10.0.6
Last edit: by Habernigvideo.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:03 #15411

erm, that says 10.0.6 when FCP opens :cheer:

Ooh. That looks suspiciously like an audio mixing icon.
Last edit: by robertdee.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:11 #15413

I think that is the new inspector button. Also the share button is now on the end of the row
Attachments:

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:13 #15414

That was uploaded 18 hours ago. Today is looking goodm d'you reckon?

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:17 #15415

Could be a good day. Besides, the ripple training guys must be busy doing other things. They didn't release a tutorial last week.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:34 #15416

i bet 10.06 it will be released today!

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:35 #15417

Guys, just to let you know.

We think it is highly likely the video and article showing 10.0.6 will be pulled. If that happens then we will delete the direct linking posts and grabs.

It is an unfortunate error by a company that add a lot to the FCP community so we don't want to broadcast the mistake.

Sooner it comes out the better!
Administrator

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:35 #15418

Interesting....

I think the one icon IS a revised information panel, since it appears to be in the "activated" position with the information pane visible, and it's old icon is nowhere to be found.

Of note, I don't see a beta build number on the splash screen, just 10.0.6.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:37 #15419

• alex4D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 248
Interesting video.

It's a pity Red Giant, who support Final Cut Pro X, might get it in the neck from Apple for making an honest mistake.

At least we know that Retrograde is probably compatible with the next version of Final Cut Pro X.

Today would be a very odd day to release a new version of Final Cut. Beta testing phases last many weeks, and given that Apple doesn't seem to feeling any sort of pressure from other editing apps, they'll release 10.0.6 when the number of known bugs is at an acceptable level.

It seems to me that FCPX updates from Apple have been much less buggy than those to FCP Classic. Who would have dared install one of those updates until others had spent at least a few weeks discovering what the new version had broken?

What would you like a buggy update today or a less buggy version before the end of the year?
Last edit: by alex4D.

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:41 #15420

Alex, I think you're making an assumption on when they entered the Beta testing phase, it could have been a month ago.

Still, with so much else going on in the Apple world today, it would seem a less likely days to release new Apple software not iPad related.

Unless....?

Nah....

FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 23 Oct 2012 11:43 #15421

Guys, just to let you know.

We think it is highly likely the video and article showing 10.0.6 will be pulled. If that happens then we will delete the direct linking posts and grabs.

It is an unfortunate error by a company that add a lot to the FCP community so we don't want to broadcast the mistake.

Sooner it comes out the better!

With so little revealed, I don't think much will come of it. Only icon revisions.

The only thing that I think this definitively puts to bed is the possibility that this was going to be a 10.1 update.