fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 21:44 #15016

Heh. I was thinking about that one...

I promised earlier that I wouldn't start a 10.0.7 PRE-RELEASE thread for at least 2 months after 10.0.6 gets released.

The other thing to consider is that it's likely that 10.0.7 will be another maintenance update, so there won't be as much fervour around it. Though I'm sure we'll all have a list of bugs that we'll want squashed.

That said, with 10.0.6 being so far outside of their past schedule, I'm not willing to put past the possibility that 10.0.7 could be another feature update. I guess we'll know if they pre-announce any upcoming features with 10.0.6.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 21:55 #15017

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Just cause the speculation is fun.

It may be that some features they want to include in 10.0.6 are taking longer than expected. At some point they may kick .0.6 out the door and continue to finish those features for 10.0.7.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 02:53 #15021

• cgbier
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Outside the schedule? I'm not sure if you can use earlier events and make some kind of a schedule out of it. X was not really ready for prime time when it came out. Apple did their utmost to improve it as quick as they could. Now as it is pretty useable, the development is slowing down.

If I'm not mistaken, Apple said .6 would come out hey the end of the year, so they are pretty much on schedule here.

It's just good that it is solely sold over the AppStore. I don't want to know how many folks would have been camping out in front of the Apple Store awaiting an updated version for months by now ;)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 04:13 #15022

For the record, Apple only said "2012". Not end of the year. It might mean closer to the end of the year, but as I said earlier, next to nobody releases anything in December. Saying "2012" gives them the flexibility to launch when they're ready.

Schedule was the wrong word. But this is the first update since 10.0.1 to take longer than 10 to 12 weeks. That's a pretty consistent pattern. You can only predict from what's come before. If the pattern changes, then it changes. Maybe it's only this long due to the size of the update, and they'll go back to a roughly 3 month release pattern again. Maybe not. We won't know with any certainty until we get a few more updates after this. Only then could we judge if development is "slowing down".

And in truth you might be right. If I'm correct in thinking that we're heading for a 10.1 update next year, then the updates reintegrating legacy FCPX features might slow as Apple prepares for the next major version that would presumably be new features and functionality.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 07:09 #15023

10.0.6 will be released on November 22nd. Why? Because that's my birthday :woohoo:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 08:43 #15028

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
Hope you get all the birthday presents you wished for mate....

especially if they included dual viewers and a customizable interface for FCP X.

BTW my first prediction of this topic being at 15 pages when the update comes out is now officially out the window.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 08:57 #15029

• cgbier
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Maybe they'll copy Smoke's interface a bit. I like the idea to be able to switch back and forth between editing, compositing and audio mixing.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 09:24 #15030

@Sean:

BTW my first prediction of this topic being at 15 pages when the update comes out is now officially out the window.

If Apple waits another 7 years before the next update we might break the record of "longest thread on the internet", now wouldn't that be great! B)

@Claus:

I absolutely love compositing in Smoke and the Smoke 2013 beta is working perfectly together with projects created in FCP10. The Smoke compositing features and quality simply blow away any mid-range compositors like AE and Motion. But their classic editing workflow and their audio capabilities are below average. I don't think we will ever see a compositor that powerful integrated in FCP10, but an "Open in Smoke" and an "Open in Logic10" option would give us the best of all worlds.
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 11:16 #15033

• cgbier
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, editing is a bit on the weak side in Smoke, but that's not what it is built for. I like the switching back and forth between different screen setups, though. Preimiere has the same, but the typical clumsy Adobe way.

We should be a bit lenient with Apple I think. How long did it take until FCP Classic was really useable? X came a very long way within a very short time. Not bad for a complete recode, IMHO.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 12:42 #15038

Oh but I definitely meant this as a joke. Never in the history of NLEs have we seen an editing software evolve so fast over such a short time. We are already perfectly happy with FCP10 as it is now for a lot of our work. And if it matures at the same pace as in the past year it won't take long before we make the complete switch.

I entirely agree with you that being able to switch between different workflows inside one streamlined application would be a good thing. Not the clumsy Adobe workaround, but real seamless integration of different workflows. Smoke already has this, albeit with only limited editing and audio features at present, and it works perfectly.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 14:20 #15042

Ronny, we have moved all productions to FCPX. I find it ready for primetime since 10.0.3 (multi cam).
10.0.5 is extremely stable (especially in Mountain Lion) and there are a few things coming in 10.0.6 that will finally put it up to the rest of the NLEs in terms of features.
Just read what Apple promised: dual viewers, R3D support, multichannel audio tool, MXF support.

There will also be small usability features like always. So there are not many reasons left to doubt its professionally. If this means it fits every professional´s workflow is another story.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 16:26 #15043

Hi Alban,

I am really pleased to hear you have completely switched to FCP10. I have used FCP10 to broadcast live in primetime from London at the Olympic Games and I do agree it is a perfect tool for fast-paced high-end television work. I really don't miss any features for this kind of projects.

BTW I just had a look at your website: very nice work. Love the Garmin Golf spot.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 14 Oct 2012 16:56 #15044

We used FCPX in January at the Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck also in a LIVE-environment. We played Lower Thirds and Results LIVE out of the Timeline at Medal Plaza (Olympic Prize Ceremonies). No render needed, so we could react to last minute changes in the Motion-Titles and Generators ;-)

The Garmin stuff is a big team, not only me. I am a small wheel there, but it was edited in FCPX, tracked in After Effects, graded in Resolve and Audio done in Pro Tools - so complete FCXP workflow for a worldwide campaign.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 15 Oct 2012 18:22 #15085

Wrong topic I know but, innlens, how did you use AE with FCP X ? I haven't find a proper solution yet.
Thanks!
Last edit: by cobleau.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 15 Oct 2012 18:39 #15086

@cobleau:

We mostly use Smoke or Motion 5 with FCP10 instead of AE these days, but here's a link:

fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/834-mindtransp...-into-after-effects-

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 03:49 #15114

Anyone feeling lucky...?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 PRE RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD 16 Oct 2012 03:50 #15115

...OS X is a UNIX system and using MS MySQL would simply be flat out stupid.

We'll that's not quite polite. There are probably thousands (if not millions) of Macs out there running MySQL perfectly fine, which likely doesn't mean their owners are flat-out stupid. Until OS X 10.7, it was the standard RDBMS on Mac.

Not to mention that MySQL is NOT MS MySQL (i.e. it does not belong to Microsoft). It is the property of Oracle, and it is by far the most popular open-source database solution.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 08:15 #15119

Oh, go on then. I'll stick my reputation on the line and say it's today.

To be clear, I have zero insider knowledge if this is going to be true except for that provided by some tea leaves and goat entrails.
Last edit: by robertdee.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 PRE RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD 16 Oct 2012 10:27 #15122

...OS X is a UNIX system and using MS MySQL would simply be flat out stupid.

We'll that's not quite polite. There are probably thousands (if not millions) of Macs out there running MySQL perfectly fine, which likely doesn't mean their owners are flat-out stupid. Until OS X 10.7, it was the standard RDBMS on Mac.

I agree I find alone the comment stupid or more polite way not very educated.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 16 Oct 2012 15:59 #15157

I'm thinking the update will drop on 10/23. Rumor of new macs (mac mini, 13" Retina MBP, and now the imac is rumored to be updated).

The last Fcpx update was released when the 15" Retina MBP was launched. Although it was to add the Retina display and a few bug fixes, I think it would be cool to show off the new dual viewers and Audio tools on the new 27" imac.

I didn't read all of the earlier posts in this massive thread so please disregard this if someone else brought this up.