fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 11 Oct 2012 19:24 #14953

In an eventual in-FCPX mixing scenario, I like the idea that you can could change the audio volume or add an audio effect either at-- the CLIP level, the ROLE level, or even take it further and have SUB-MIXS and (of course) a final MASTER MIX for applying delivery-specific gating and volume adjustments.

I think the only issue in this scenario is that if there are zones for roles- all which have to keep their own structure and connections to the primary storyline... how much of an impact is that going to have on editing performance. There's a lot of stuff that would be moving around in a complicated timeline, adjusting and shifting.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 11 Oct 2012 19:30 #14955

Hey innlens, have you tried Convergent Design's free MOV to MXF application?

www.convergent-design.com/Downloads/nanoFlash.aspx

Kind regards,

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 11 Oct 2012 19:53 #14956

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Regarding sending stuff out to apps like X2Pro etc... This is unsubstantiated and probably unreliable, :unsure: but... I've heard that there will be an API for FCP X at some point. I'm sort of clueless here, but would this make it possible for X2Pro etc to hook into the program so you wouldn't need to export fcpxml and then reopen it to export an AAF? You could maybe just right click a project and there'd be an "Export with X2Pro" menu command? That would make the "modular" aspect of X really nice I think. Buy the apps you need for certain functions but be able to access them from inside fcp x. Maybe the X2Pro folks could do OMF as well at some point, EDL-X is great and will get better, and I'm sure we can all think of other stuff that would be awesome if it was "hooked" into X. I'm sure Apple is beefing up the XML also. Ideally it will describe everything in a project and make it accessible, which it currently doesn't...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)
Last edit: by plysat.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 07:59 #14964

Hey innlens, have you tried Convergent Design's free MOV to MXF application?

www.convergent-design.com/Downloads/nanoFlash.aspx

Kind regards,

never saw that before. I´ll give it a whirl with 8 audio-layers today and let you guys know how it works!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 12:00 #14967

Amazingly, we're probably only a couple weeks away from the release of FCPX 10.0.6. Let's recap:

10.0.0 - 2011.06.21
10.0.1 - 2011.09.20 91 DAYS
10.0.2 - 2011.11.16 57 DAYS
10.0.3 - 2012.01.31 76 DAYS
10.0.4 - 2012.04.10 70 DAYS
10.0.5 - 2012.06.11 62 DAYS

~120 days now ... longest time ever

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 14:33 #14971

Yup. A pattern is only a pattern until something changes. It will be 127 days next Tuesday. Wow was I off!

I think unless the update happens literally in the next week or two, then the late-Nov 10.0.7 maintenance update I thought might get squeezed in will be a no-go, and 10.0.6 will be the last update for the year.

I don't see any of this as a negative. I don't think Apple's lost interest or that it's programers are getting pillaged for iOS development. This is the schedule as planned.

But if anything, the extended time between updates just has me more excited about how big an update it might be... maybe the biggest since launch. If this is the last update for the year, then we'll see all the pre-announced features, plus the other ones that Apple only hinted at in their NAB sit-downs.

I am going to soothsay that I'd bet a shiny dollar that the update absolutely won't happen in December. I can't think of Apple releasing ANYTHING of substance in December EVER- software or hardware. So I'd say any Tuesday between now and Nov 27 is equally likely.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 14:47 #14972

Something I thought about is that Apple previously said, and if I'm not mistaken for the first time ever, they would release a major update (10.0.3) in February. It came on the very last day of February.

Then for the second time ever they mentioned what would be added and gave the time frame of "this year". I've been working on the same very last minute assumption as the February release, if it happens before great.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 14:50 #14973

Apple pre-announced features for 10.0.3 as "Early 2012" on the FCPX page. That had many people thinking the release would be, like, March- so Apple was ahead of the curve on that one, since 10.0.3 was released January 31.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 14:53 #14974

My mistake, I meant January not February. Are you 100% certain they said early 2012 and not January 2012. I seem to recall them having said January specifically.

I'll still be expecting a very last minute 2012 10.0.6, anything earlier will be a pleasant surprise.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 15:18 #14976

Yeah, it was definitely billed on the FCPX website as "Early 2012". Apple likes to speak in broad strokes on software releases. OS updates are typically billed as coming "Summer" or "Fall". I guess this gives them latitude if dates need to shift by a week or two for whatever reason, or if updates are in any way tied to unannounced hardware products.

On that note there might be some good synergy if FCPX was released around the same time as the expected Retina 13" MPB or updated iMac. But I think that will just be coincidental timing at this point, since I can't think of anything hardware related that would affect FCPX features at this stage.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 21:30 #14986

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
My guess is that we'll get the update shortly after the announcement of the new iMac or Mac Mini Pro. :woohoo:

To show off the new hardware they will demonstrate the all new Logic Pro X alongside the new Final Cut Pro X that integrates directly with Logic Pro X. (aka multitrack editing tools)

How's THAT for a prediction?!
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011
Last edit: by Seanus.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 12 Oct 2012 23:35 #14987

Only problem is they don't really demo Macs anymore. A new iMac or whatever might get announced at this small iPad launch thingy that's supposed to be happening later this month. But it will be specs and a picture, and someone saying, "...and you can order it today!"

I do think it will be a heck of a thing if they can release FCPX and LogicX this year. Maybe the two product teams are too intertwined to launch both simultaneously. Maybe not.

And I have no idea what you're thinking... the multi-track editing tools that apple pre-announced as an FCPX "update" ARE NOT going to be Logic.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 06:33 #14994

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah but that's when they only have incremental changes. When they do a complete redesign they do announce it. Hence the Retina MBP.

If there is a Mac Mini Pro with new form factor or an all new re-imagined iMac then they will definitely tell us about it. They love the headlines.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 10:09 #14995

• cgbier
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Aren't they supposed to have a staged event by the end of this month? That might be THE Tuesday.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 10:44 #14996

I'm going to swing expectations back the other way and suggest that the next update contains nothing more than the ability to add emoticons in text fields. :P

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 12:12 #14999

@Seanus If it's just a spec bump, they usually just put them up on the website. But even if it's a redesign, like the most recent MacBookAir or MacBookPro Retina, they showcase them- but they don't demo them. They talk about the form factor, CPU, thinness (in laptops), but no one sits down and uses one on stage- at least not at an event I can remember in the last decade...

As as for the MacMiniPro you keep mentioning. Do you mean the MacPro replacement that Tim Cook alluded to after WWDC? He said that was coming in 2013, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

The event for this month is October 23rd, which IS a Tuesday. But again I'm not sure why there'd be any parallel to the release of 10.0.6. When they released 10.0.5 the same day the Retina MBP was launched, there was a clear hardware tie-in. Even if they release new hardware, I'm having a hard time imagining what the crossover would be this time. The only thing they could do to the iMac (other than form factor) would be a Retina display. But I'm insanely doubtful we'll see a Retina 27" display on an iMac or CinemaDisplay until later next year, perhaps when the MacPro's successor DOES appear.

My expectation are that they'll change the .0.5 to a .0.6. Just seeing that number will make me think the program is so much better. :)
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 16:21 #15006

@Seanus As as for the MacMiniPro you keep mentioning. Do you mean the MacPro replacement that Tim Cook alluded to after WWDC? He said that was coming in 2013, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

He even said LATE 2013, if I'm not mistaken...

I think the october event will focus on an iBook/iPad Mini event, that's what rumors suggest.

Would be lovely if FCP X 10.0.6 was a big big update, with LOTS of complaints addressed, and maybe together with a Logic Pro X release, who knows...

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 17:15 #15007

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 71
What Tim Cook actually said

Franz,

Thanks for your email. Our Pro customers like you are really important to us. Although we didn’t have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today’s event, don’t worry as we’re working on something really great for later next year. We also updated the current model today.

We’ve been continuing to update Final Cut Pro X with revolutionary pro features like industry leading multi-cam support and we just updated Aperture with incredible new image adjustment features.

We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

Tim

Later next year. No specific time next year.
At least two things are likely under development with Intel and possibly with Apple's input. A Xeon based motherboard that supports Thunderbolt. Support for Thunderbolt on a system with PCIe slotted GPU.... or both a motherboard and independent GPU. Keep in mind that Thunderbolt is also the miniDisplayPort, at least in current system. It's possible that PCIe3 support may be part of the Thunderbolt picture as well.

The most curious (to me) is how Apple will handle the GPU followed by whether the'll be much internal expansion at all. Keep in mind the challenges that a user upgradable GPU would be on Thunderbolt. That's why I present the possibility of one motherboard GPU (like iMac or MBPr) and maybe one or two 16 lane PCIe3 slots for GPU and/or other demanding card. I'd think there would be 4 Thunderbolt ports. It may have SSD boot or Hybrid drive and may only have room for one additional standard 6Gb/s drive. I suspect it may have a slightly lower entry price point.

As A side note it's interesting that a current iMac (already itself aging) with Quad i7 (Sandy not Ivy Bridge I believe) and Radion 6970M 2GB is $2300 and the base model MacPro (just an updated 2010 with old Quad Xeon and ancient Radion 5770) is $2500. I wouldn't be surprised if the new iMac coming soon, surpasses the current MacPro for that $2300. Since the main advantage of the future MacPro will be Xeons and GPUs, it'll be interesting to see how it's priced. Don't forget Monitor and possibly the need for a PCIe to Thunderbolt chassis (Sonnet Echo, Magma, OWC) adds to the user cost along with the need to buy external Thunderbolt drives. Personally I think the MyBook Thunderbolt design with user replaceable drives will catch on... assuming limited internal drive expansion.
Last edit: by cseeman.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 17:16 #15008

Just so we keep things legit, he actually said,

Although we didn't have a chance to talk about a new Mac Pro at today's event, don't worry as we're working on something really great for later next year.

There has been some debate whether "later next year" really means, "later, next year" OR "late 2013".

Based on what we know about Intel's Xeon roadmap and if we take it for granted that Apple would want to be able to launch a new MacPro with a Retina-ready display. I'm betting on about this time next year for all those elements to be aligned and ready.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 13 Oct 2012 21:24 #15015

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

As as for the MacMiniPro you keep mentioning. Do you mean the MacPro replacement that Tim Cook alluded to after WWDC? He said that was coming in 2013, so I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

My expectation are that they'll change the .0.5 to a .0.6. Just seeing that number will make me think the program is so much better. :)

It's just me exhibiting some wishful thinking mate. ;) I'd love to see Apple come up with a modular design for their pro machines. If they do release a new MacPro tower with the same form factor as before then I won't be buying it. There just isn't any point any more. Plus like my DSLR I don't mind spending big bucks on lenses knowing that all I have to do is update the body to stay current.

Hopefully all these questions will be answered in the next couple of weeks. Then we can begin a new thread speculating about 10.0.7! :)