fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 14:06 #14470

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278

OK, after accidentally deleting a project this morning and losing a day's work, I'd REALLY like some kind of proper back up solution for projects. Yes, I know about time machine but that's impractical when you have 10 terabytes of data across multiple hard drives. :angry:

There's Carbon Copy Cloner that is so flexible, you can backup exactly what you want, to where you want, when you want.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 14:11 #14471

Pretty Interesting..... Supposed screenshot of new Logic Pro X. Maybe this will be released alongside new FCPX update...?

appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/26/image...reen-for-logic-pro-x

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 14:22 #14474

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Odd it shows a build number and not a version number, which is Apple's standard for these launch screens. Is it real or Photoshop? I'd say Photoshop since the background is the FCP X background, and not a Logic background.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 14:31 #14475

You might be right on that one, but perhaps the answer is that the launch screens are being standardized for these apps. FCPX and Motion share a common launch/info background.

Impossible to say. It would be nice to have a double wammy of an FCPX update and a new Logic. We can only assume there would be tighter integration between the two.

ProTools has always been the market leader in Post Audio, though most post audio guys I know do own Logic, and use it for some specific tasks.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 14:53 #14476

• alex4D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245
When scaled, the splash screens line up:

However, although Apple bought the makers of Logic Pro in 2002, Logic itself is much older...

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 15:22 #14480

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
The song it claims to be loading up, "From Here On Out" is by KMFDM off their WWIII album, which was released in 2003. At least that's as close to the title of a song as I can find. You'd think they'd use something more modern by someone more well known, eh?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 16:15 #14484

"Send to Logic Pro X" would be a fantastic addition to FCPX, almost as much as "Send to Motion" would be!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 16:26 #14485

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64

"Send to Logic Pro X" would be a fantastic addition to FCPX, almost as much as "Send to Motion" would be!

My guess is that Send to both will return with Logic Pro X. I suspect there's more XML work being done that must work with both.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 17:14 #14488

Hey his Karma is +6

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 18:09 #14489

• alex4D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245
Logic Pro X integration would mean a big update to Final Cut Pro X's XML - the current version doesn't allow for any parameter values (such as choosing an alternative typeface in a title) or keyframes to be stored.

There's not much point in integrating a sound app with FCP if keyframes can't be exchanged, or default parameters altered.

A big update to FCPX XML would mean many more possibilities for third-party apps to create and manipulate Final Cut projects and events.

FCPX's sound effects are implemented as XML bundles of Logic plugins. Perhaps Logic X will be able to edit and create Final Cut audio effects in the manner that Motion is a video effect editor.

Maybe a future update will allow for clip-level timeline pins for audio effects (which could be used as an input to a ambient noise reduction effect: 'use this part of the audio clip to define the ambient sound to remove from the whole clip').

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 21:38 #14494

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
As predicted. Here are your advanced audio mixing tools.
Will everyone here pay $299 for the extra functionality?
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 21:42 #14495

Yep. That brings total cost to $700 (FCPX, Logic Pro X, Compressor, Motion). Still a huge deal.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 21:43 #14496

Considering the apps that have been lost from FCS, and their functionality integrated into FCPX, I think you're WAY off track.

Logic has never been considered an essential part of the Final Cut Suite of products.

The fact that they'll be more tightly integrated doesn't mean it will essential, any more than using DaVinci for CC.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 21:57 #14497

Well, it's actually all speculation at this point, right? Although Apple is on record as saying the next update to X will include enhanced audio functionality. Which it needs. While I really like X, I find mixing on X to be difficult and cumbersome. I would happily pay $300 to make it easier/faster.

And at this point, the pricing on all the major NLEs is so low as to be inconsequential. Back in the deck days, it cost at least $75,000 to build a half-decent off line setup.

Now, $10,000 bucks with a computer and a couple of decent monitors and some apps and you are at least in business.

As with cameras, the pricing has come down amazingly.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 22:27 #14498

As predicted. Here are your advanced audio mixing tools.
Will everyone here pay $299 for the extra functionality?

I don't know.
Yes, in itself, if you need serious features, you should pay for them.
And yes, prices of NLE's have come down enourmously, so aren't we a bunch of whiners if we would whine about a 300 dollar Logic X as a way of editing the soundtracks of FCP X...

On the other hand...

It brings the total cost of Motion + Compressor + FCP X + Logic Pro X to about 700 dollars. It's in the neighbourhood of the pricing of the old FCS Studio, and the competitions pricing (if thinking about the deals they offered - and are offering - for FCP customers)
I don't know if, looking back, I would like to pay 700 dollars again for a package where the main program is a very clear 1.0 program, that has/had a lot of bugs, very incomplete features in comparison with the competition and it's own predecessor, etc.
I don't have to remind you that for the functionality you have to get in FCP X, that matches FCS, you sometimes have to pay for some other packages as well (XtoProtools is 99 dollars, 7toX is 10 dollar, EDL, Event Manager for something that's basic, ...)

If everyone here had known that FCP X would have been the package it was at launch (for most of us, it was a shock after downloading it), and people would have told you then and there: "You are gonna get a program that is very incomplete, but will get better in time - although this could take a while. Good audio editing tools, conform to what you expect in an upgrade of the old FCP 7, will be released a year and a half from now, and will cost you an additional 300 dollars... Will you go with the FCP X route?", maybe a lot of people would have choosen otherwise (maybe not).
So I think responsed could be very varied to that question, and all be very valid too.

I don't think it would be fair from Apple, but to be honest, I don't think they will do that either.
I think Logic X, of course, will be a paid application, but the current Logic is 'only' 200 dollars. If they do some of the same pricing-magic they have done to FCP X, maybe it's only a 50 dollars, or 99 dollars application.
That would be fair, especially if better audio tools are already in FCP X with the update (everyone admit, they should be, current tools are not good enough for a high-end NLE, and that was how FCP X was presented at NAB), and Logic X is just the 'extra' app you can buy, like it's now with Motion 5 (it's not an app you NEED to do your basic work in FCP X, but it compliments it very nicely and gives you a lot more extra options)

I hope Logic X is a good rewrite though. FCP X was an interesting, with a lot of good stuff and a lot of bad stuff. Yes, it's getting better, but we are still a long way from having the kind of feature-packad package that the original FCS was.
Logic already got a rewrite by Apple, but one that didn't suffer features, but just made the interface better, simpler but not less powerful. That's something to respect and difficult to pull off.
The current Logic is already a 64bit app in ways that FCP 7 wasn't, Apple made it 64bit in a 9.1 update. This reasons, together with the fallout they had after FCP X, would make me GUESS that the rewrite of Logic X won't be as dramatic as the one of FCP7 to FCP X.
Last edit: by sidderke.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 23:14 #14502

There's was a news blurb from sometime this past year. I can't remember if it came directly from Apple or what, but the gist of it was that an assurance that Logic wouldn't see the same kind of fundamental UI rethink that FCPX did.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 27 Sep 2012 00:03 #14503

I'm trialing Digital Rebellion's ProVersioner that makes redundant copies of Project files (not events).

Just to clarify, Pro Versioner will work with events too, or indeed any file.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 27 Sep 2012 02:06 #14506

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
"Although Apple is on record as saying the next update to X will include enhanced audio functionality"

No, Apple has never claimed "the next update to X" will have anything. They've in fact never commented on "the next update to X" at all, except that there will eventually be one.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 27 Sep 2012 02:32 #14511

Yes, they were very vague about timing in the NAB sit-downs. Which was odd considering they had specifically announced features for 10.0.3 in "Early 2012" after the 10.0.2 update the previous November.

Of course, now we know why. 10.0.4 was released JUST before NAB, and 10.0.5 came just 2 months later, bringing more bug fixes an of course Retina support.

All Apple has said is these feature will come in "2012". I just find it doubtful that if we get more than 1 more update this year, that THIS one won't be the feature update.

I think either the next update will be the last one of 2012, OR we might get another minor update. But that will only happen if the next update comes SOON, and a maintenance update follows shortly after (like 10.0.2 did after 10.0.1- which was 2 months)

Who knows if the Logic leak is real, or if it is whether it will be tied to the next release of FCPX.

I think we can expect to get back the same level (and likely better) mixing tools as we had in FCP7. Of course there's aways going to be better tools available of you go outside of the NLE. That's the same for Color Correction, Keying, Graphics, and yes audio editing and mixing. But like any project, budget and time dictates what level of technical wizardry the client or project gets.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 27 Sep 2012 02:39 #14512

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Agreed. A feature update, then a bug fix, then it's 2013.