fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 24 Sep 2012 17:50 #14371

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Ty Webb: You take drugs, Danny?
Danny Noonan: Every day.
Ty Webb: Good. Then what's your problem?
Danny Noonan: I don't know...
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 24 Sep 2012 17:52 #14372

Life is a box of chocolates....

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 24 Sep 2012 18:26 #14378

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64

But I want to avoid the Crunchy Frog.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 24 Sep 2012 19:01 #14382

waternyc wrote:

Cseeman wrote: But I want to avoid the Crunchy Frog.

Response: My point exactly....you can't fight the funk!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 24 Sep 2012 20:48 #14386

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278

Life is [like] a box of chocolates....

You never know which one has the roofie in it.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 14:03 #14413

here we go again...

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 14:12 #14414

It's like Waiting for Godot.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 18:15 #14430

• Dawar
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
But Godot never came !

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 19:45 #14434

Yeah, but if he had... it probably would have been on a Tuesday.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 20:07 #14436

The longer the wait, the bigger the update - hopefully.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 20:12 #14438

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
If the wait is any longer it could be DVD distributed. :ohmy: ;)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 21:11 #14441

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
Anyone want to predict how many pages of drivel this topic will grow to by the time the update DOES arrive? I'm pushing for 15. :P
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 21:14 #14442

I'll take intelligent speculation instead, but that's just me!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 25 Sep 2012 21:24 #14444

Seeing as it hasn't come we can let speculations run wild. Don't know if I've mentioned this but I'd like to see Apple integrating Siri so we can have dialogue analysed automatically for keywords and transcripts. I'd also like the ability for it to analyse waveforms to place smart cuts a predetermined amount before audio that peaks over a certain amount. Both of these are handy for chopping up dialogue, particularly interviews.

Similarly, the ability to detect cuts based on large pixel differentiation between frames would be useful for automatically chopping up video files when you have to recut master movs that clients don't have the fcpx/fcp/etc project files.

I may be looking for the magic "edit" button here...
Last edit: by robertdee.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 01:28 #14451

I'd be immensely surprised if some sort of auto-transcription isn't in the picture for a future version, since it fit so well with FCPXs metadata-centric focus. I'd also like to see some implementation of face detection. It's reliability is spotty in iPhoto, but as Terrance & Philip postulated in one of their podcasts, there's likely to be less variation of age, lighting circumstances, etc in a given video production than a persons photo library that spans years.

The other area I'd like to see Apple explore with future updates is new input devices. Though I think we're a ways off from a full touch interface for an NLE (and I don't mean reaching out and touching the screen- rather a touch keyboard), it would be interesting to see Apple release an app that uses an iPad to extend the traditional keyboard in areas where it might be useful. Sliders when mixing. A touch colour board while colour correcting.

And if Apple could release it's own iSlate for logging; where on-set metadata is seamlessly translated to FCPX, dramatically reducing "prep time" for editorial, I think it would be a real boon for productions of all sizes.

As for the pre-announced features, only MXF support seems cut and dried. As far as I know, there's no magic that can have you playing back RED RAW files in any NLE without a REDROCKET card, so native RED support is only a half-solution. "Dual Viewers" could mean exactly what we think, reinstatement of a program/preview option, or be something entirely different. And "Multichannel Audio Editing" is similarly vague.

Although I am a bit disappointed each week that passes without an update, that's only curiosity. In another way each week that passes has me more excited for whatever is released.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 03:48 #14461

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 266
I'll be content at this point if a few bigs are fixed...

---Saving a still frame from the timeline gives a compressor error after the 5th or 6th time. Restarting FCPX fixes it at least for another 5 or 6 times.
---Saving a still frame from the timeline that needs rendering won't save until you manually render it.
---Show reference waveforms for audio in preferences doesn't seem to work. I have waveforms on every clip in every project regardless of this setting.

AND, please let's be able to highlight a group of clips in the timeline and export only them. The workarounds are clumsy.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 06:25 #14462

As for the pre-announced features, only MXF support seems cut and dried. As far as I know, there's no magic that can have you playing back RED RAW files in any NLE without a REDROCKET card, so native RED support is only a half-solution. "Dual Viewers" could mean exactly what we think, reinstatement of a program/preview option, or be something entirely different. And "Multichannel Audio Editing" is similarly vague.

Although I am a bit disappointed each week that passes without an update, that's only curiosity. In another way each week that passes has me more excited for whatever is released.

In premiere you have been able (for 3 or so versions now?) been able to just drop RED RAW files and play them back without rocket card. No, not at full resolution, rather 1/4th to 1/8th of the original resolution, but that's in a lot of cases enough.
I still expect from Apple that If they now are about 2 years behind in support RED, I hope they have a good implementation, performance wise, and able to maybe do something with the automatic proxies that they can create. If it's a half baked solution, after running 2 years Behind,
It's been about a year and a half that Apple released FCPX and in the current landscape with competition you can only say so long it's a 1.0 release.
People have a long list of things that they want/need, some very basic (in/out points on the timeline) and the last feature-update is from the end of january.
The Fact that it takes so long, has me hopeful that they are making it a very fully featured update.
Let's see what happens, I'm curious.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 09:27 #14464

OK, after accidentally deleting a project this morning and losing a day's work, I'd REALLY like some kind of proper back up solution for projects. Yes, I know about time machine but that's impractical when you have 10 terabytes of data across multiple hard drives. :angry:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 12:54 #14467

OK, after accidentally deleting a project this morning and losing a day's work, I'd REALLY like some kind of proper back up solution for projects. Yes, I know about time machine but that's impractical when you have 10 terabytes of data across multiple hard drives. :angry:

Do you mean the project file or the entire project?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 26 Sep 2012 13:10 #14468

I'm trialing Digital Rebellion's ProVersioner that makes redundant copies of Project files (not events). So far, seems pretty great. (I did this manually before--duplicating projects onto a sep drive).

FWIW, I manually make duplicates of events on a separate RAID 5 drive for extra insurance. Plus, I hold onto the data from field off-loading until I have to erase it.

So, with ProVersioner, I have backups of projects and then maintain duplicates of events.