fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 11:32 #13278

I suppose I'm especially hoping for an update either this week or next, because I've got some time off and could spend some of it on training.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.
The topic has been locked.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 12:19 #13279

Don't start on me, man!
:P

Anyway, we'll get an update when we get it. I have too much paying work in the mean time. But speculation can be fun on occasion.

And for the record, Scrubelicious is almost always wrong...

Where's my coffee?

You must be having your records in Greece! lol
Good thing pople believe what they say and what they read! :woohoo: Well I think tha tmay not be teh truth! lol

Still no update... :lol:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 13:53 #13286

I am hedging my bets! Today would be 71 days since 10.0.5, so next week is actually slightly more in-line at 78 days. I'm just being optimistic.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:27 #13288

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Totally agree that we need a mode to "turn off connections" which I think would do it. I have requested this, so be sure sure you all hit up Final Cut Pro feedback about it.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:41 #13290

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
How would "turn off connections" actually work?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:41 #13291

I can't imagine any scenario where I'd want to turn off clip connections.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:47 #13292

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It would disable the magnetic timeline temporarily. Magnetic Timeline = Clip Connections.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:48 #13293

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Um, those are two functions. One is a connection stem. One is clips sliding around the timeilne. I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're thinking. How does the Position tool not do this, and how would you not have connections? Mechanically how would that work?

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:49 #13294

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
BTW. It's #33 on Richard Taylors Top Requests for FCP X.

fcpx.tv/top.html

Also with those temporary disabled it would let you move around items on the primary storyline without effecting any connected clips. i.e. a MX track or Titling. I have needed this feature quite a bit in my work.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:55 #13295

The ONLY reason why I connect a clip to another clip is if there's a definitive association. Titles are connected to the interview or subject. Sound effects to the clip they're associated with. Disabling this would negate having connected clips at all.*

Perhaps you should just be putting a slug into your primary storyline and building up from there using ALL connected clips, so that your first layer of video isn't linked to the second, and so on...

* EDIT I just looked at Richards list and I suppose I could see "slipping" a primary storyline clip under it's connected material. But I think that would work better as a function key task (Option+P or something), rather than a specific mode you go into.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 14:55 #13296

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Do you mean the connected clip stays in place no matter what happens to clips in the Primary Storyline? Yeah, that would be nice. But that's not disabling the magnetic timeline functions, that's a very separate function. The Position tool disables the magnetic functions already. But yes, having a way for CCs to stay put sometimes would be helpful. There are occasions when that's needed.
Last edit: by BenB.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 15:06 #13297

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ben,

I stand corrected. Based on the fact that FCP X has given us new terminology perhaps I was a bit overly simplistic.

I think of the magnetic timeline as the "inserting" mode of a storyline together with clip connections (remember the old word processors that had an overwrite and insert mode? Now you can't find a one that has "overwrite". It made sense coming from a typewriter to have overwrite but made no sense when you had the power of a computer).

Currently the position tool lets you override the "inserting" & "ripple" feature of the timeline, but clip connections are still active. Both the snapping of clips in the inserting functionality and the clip connections could be both have the properties of "magnetic." Frankly it is a brilliant description of the timeline. Hats off to whoever thought up the name.

I think what Richard and others are seeing is the need to turn off clip connections, in order to perform specific functions, kinda like you would turn of linking in FCP 7.

Does this make sense? Am I using the terminology incorrectly?
Last edit: by tpayton.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 15:28 #13298

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
I'm sure you know this but "D" is the Overwrite key.

I'm not sure there will truly be a turn off clip connections given the fundamental way FCPX manages things. You may want to move a clip in the Primary Storyline without moving a Connected Clip but I suspect that would probably be some kind of "Replace with Gap and Connect" function. I'm sure Apple would give it a more elegant name. Another way of describing it might be "Connect to Time" which would cause a clip to maintain its connection to a point in time (effectively connecting to the replacing Gap Clip) if a clip in the Primary Storyline were moved.

I can see Connections going in a more nodal direction at some point. I can eventually see possible controls connecting to clips below that are not Primary (title sticks with the cut away) or to a clip before/after the clip below and this might also impact the connection behavior if you split a Primary (or clip below) so that it's not automatically connected to the current frame it's attached to. I'd add, the way to think about a clip connection is actually to a specific frame of a clip rather than the clip itself because if you split a Primary clip it remains attached to the given frame.

In the long life of FCPX, I see Clip Connections (really frame connection or point in time of a given clip connection given subframe control) being one of the potentially more powerful features they'll expand on.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 17:13 #13302

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
FWIW, that's how I work. I only use secondary stroyline if I need to throw a transition between clips. The pro,ary is just a big A/V separator
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 17:31 #13304

• tpayton
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The overwrite mode I was speaking of is more akin to what the P key does opposed to editing a clip from the event browser.

Speaking of this subject, I made a video reply to someone else many moons ago who was having issues with connected clips. It's long and might not be relevant, but you might find something useful:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 19:30 #13308

Did you guess update FCPX yet, how is it running?

:lol:

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 19:50 #13311

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64

Did you guess update FCPX yet, how is it running?

Wow, it's like have Logic Pro built in. The Dual Viewer is interesting especially with the variable assignments. I like the Roles Modify Display feature, almost like tracks. :woohoo:
:silly: :silly: :silly:
Last edit: by cseeman.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 20:03 #13312

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Is the update released? I'm not seeing it. App Store still lists 10.0.5.

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 20:07 #13313

• alex4D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 245
It's odd that the 'Use Magnetic Timeline' switch defaults to 'Off'!

Re: FCPX 10.0.6 Pre Release Discussion Thread 21 Aug 2012 20:10 #13314

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
I know huh? It's like a hybrid of Media Composer, FCP 7 and Premier! I'm so happy to have all my onscreen buttons back! I feel like a pro again!

Wait... is it April? ;-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)