fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:06 #47603

It's deceptive.

The duration between FEATURE releases has been expanding-

10.0.0-10.0.1 91 DAYS
10.0.1-10.0.3 133 DAYS
10.0.3-10.0.6 266 DAYS
10.0.6-10.1 428 DAYS

As of today, we're at 173 Days since 10.1- so even if the next release isn't out for another couple of weeks, it's still way shorter than the last 2 feature updates have taken.

Presuming it's a feature update. B)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:10 #47604

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
But I think part of the "anticipation" stems from the sense that 10.1 was mostly Library and other major features might be waiting in the wings. I think people want some razzle dazzle mixed in with their pragmatism.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:10 #47605

• ejis1979
  • I am just being me. :-)
  • Thank you received: 0
I guess next update (10.1.2) will be on the day after the public release of new OSX Yosemite. :unsure:

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:54 #47609

Mavericks has introduced some major changes in the OS that particularly affect pro apps users. That's the main reason why 10.1 has been less stable than previous versions. From what I see Apple is very aware of the fact that this needs to be addressed before anything else, and Yosemite is quite irrelevant in this respect. So if we get a decent bug and performance update in the coming weeks I won't be disappointed at all, I will be extremely happy. Reliability and performance always trump whistles and bells in my world.

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:59 #47610

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
"So if we get a decent bug and performance update in the coming weeks I won't be disappointed at all, I will be extremely happy. Reliability and performance always trump whistles and bells in my world."

Agreed. Make the foundation rock solid, then bolt on all the fancy stuff. I prefer bulletproof reliability to new features right now.
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 21:25 #47613

Mavericks has introduced some major changes in the OS that particularly affect pro apps users. That's the main reason why 10.1 has been less stable than previous versions. From what I see Apple is very aware of the fact that this needs to be addressed before anything else, and Yosemite is quite irrelevant in this respect. So if we get a decent bug and performance update in the coming weeks I won't be disappointed at all, I will be extremely happy. Reliability and performance always trump whistles and bells in my world.

- Ronny

Also agree. Stability is much more important, hopefully it comes sooner than later.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 22:21 #47617

But I think part of the "anticipation" stems from the sense that 10.1 was mostly Library and other major features might be waiting in the wings. I think people want some razzle dazzle mixed in with their pragmatism.

Its impossible to say what's going on behind the scenes- what sort of impact the 10.1 Library rework had on any other feature development.

I would like to see some features in this next release, but I will agree with Ronny that if it was a binary decision I'd take stability and performance over features right now.

But as I've gone on record saying before, I don't necessarily believe that it has to be an either/or scenario.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 22:57 #47620

• merc
  • Thank you received: 0
at this point to me the next feature release is in the realm of Aperture X...as in nobody has any idea what is going on and it shall be so until it no longer is.

:)

Last edit: by merc.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 00:52 #47624

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm all for the bug fixes too, 10.1 has been sloppy. But I'm still holding out for the big thing on my list, transcription. I know it's a crazy thought, but I remember reading about avid having licensing issues with Script Sync a few weeks back. I can only hope these issues come from apple offering more money to license the product. Could you imaging what that would do to the editing world? Script Sync is huge for avid, that would be a killer feature to have in FCPX. But it seems highly unlikely.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 05:40 #47635

If it is taking to long for the next update, why not give Lightworks a try? ;)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 05:42 #47636

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67

If it is taking to long for the next update, why not give Lightworks a try? ;)

I did,not for that reason, but just to check it out. Umm... no thank you. :-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 06:31 #47639

So did I and no, thank you very much. We want to continue with modern workflows, not go back to the Stone Age ;)

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 07:02 #47642

So if we get a decent bug and performance update in the coming weeks I won't be disappointed at all, I will be extremely happy. Reliability and performance always trump whistles and bells in my world.

I agree, but on the other hand, we had
10.0.7 bug fixes and stability
10.0.8 bug fixes and stability
10.0.9 bug fixes and stability

10.1, the one of which everyone said: okay, it has now a new 'stable' fundament, the whole Library stuff, and that will pave the way to a lot of new features.
But it wasn't that stable.

Now we have 10.1.1, again, bug fixes and stability updates, and the program still seems more bug-ridden than 10.0.9 (can be only my opinion).

I know that reliability and stability is important, but I would guess after all the things above, that we can get a more stable program (although I haven't experienced real crashes in a LONG time - I do have a LOT of slowdowns since Mavericks and FCP 10.1 - and not general, only in FCPX) AND a big feature update.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 08:17 #47645

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
New iMacs next week? . I know I know. Software releases not associated with hardware.

But you never know... ;)
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 08:37 #47646

Hey Mathieu,

It's not only your opinion, it is a fact. The new Library structure in 10.1 (which is a much more fundamental change than we might think), combined with some drastic changes in the Mavericks OS that directly affected the very foundation FCP X is built on, have undeniably been causing different issues for some users.

Our work hasn't been affected because we have a very specific post workflow. But I have been invited to fly over to a major television production house in Europe where 10.0.9/ML worked flawlessly and 10.1/Mavericks was practically unusable for exactly the same productions. I have contacted Apple about this and the only thing I can say is that they have been extremely responsive and helpful. We have even been sending them drives with complete projects and media so they could test the issues with specific media and on specific timelines.

That's why I think we may expect an important bug-fix and performance update before anything else. Once this is done I would welcome a major feature update just like anyone else. As Marcus says: the one does not need to exclude the other. But we all know brand new features can create new bugs as well. So I'd prefer to have improved stability and performance right now and new features in a future update. 10.0.3 and 10.0.6 were feature updates. If 10.1.2 brings back stability and adds better performance and 10.1.3 brings some new goodies again we still would be right on track and I will not be disappointed at all.

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 12:12 #47655

at this point to me the next feature release is in the realm of Aperture X...as in nobody has any idea what is going on and it shall be so until it no longer is.

:)

That's a separate development team, to my understanding.

At WWDC this year, Apple demo'd a "Photos" app for Mac. Not due until "early next year", Photos is very likely the replacement for iPhoto, with strong ties into iCloud Drive. If you'd asked me before Adobe's subscription service started, I'd probably have said Apple had let Lightroom get too far ahead. But now, with things being as they are, I think there's lots of opportunity for non-subscription Aperture X. It's definitely the application most in need of an overhaul.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 12:15 #47656

New iMacs next week? . I know I know. Software releases not associated with hardware.

But you never know... ;)

Most of the reports are saying spec bump on the order of the MacBookAir from a month ago. Don't expect anything huge since Intel's new Broadwell chips aren't due out until later this year. So any big Mac announcement can't happen until then.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 14:20 #47664

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Used Lightworks for Mac all last night. Watched the tutorials. Man, a lot of programming time was wasted on that outdated POS. I'd rather use PPro or MC, or FCP 1.0, rather than Lwks. In fact, I'd rather use Vegas on Linux instead...

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Jun 2014 22:40 #47696

Used Lightworks for Mac all last night. Watched the tutorials. Man, a lot of programming time was wasted on that outdated POS. I'd rather use PPro or MC, or FCP 1.0, rather than Lwks. In fact, I'd rather use Vegas on Linux instead...

I couldn't wait for Lightworks to come to Mac, I remember I used to love that piece of software once. I've tried it last night and all I got from it is some nostalgic appeal. It does seem seriously outdated, and unnecessarily complicated to me now...

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 12 Jun 2014 05:09 #47703

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I feel horrible for the programers who spent time developing something that would have been great... 8 years ago...

Who worked on this? Seriously? What a total embarrassment!