fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Jun 2014 15:40 #47484

Here's an article-

www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-ea...os-os-x-beta-secrecy

It seems that basically the letter of the law is now better reflecting what's going on anyway, which is discussion of features discussed during the keynote.

Specifics of particular Betas are still under NDA, such as particular things working or not working, is still technically under NDA.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Jun 2014 17:03 #47489

My reading of the restrictions is that you cannot confirm you are in the beta program, and discussion of the software is a violation. You can discuss anything in the keynote obviously, but cannot report on any implementation. The posting that FCPX and iMovie don't work in 10.10 is a clear violation, as is any confirmation of how to circumvent the launch issue that was reported.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 04:58 #47508

• Redifer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 94
People are always gonna talk and leaks will always happen. There's no way to completely control it. Most people don't use their real names when posting on web forums so the possibility of Apple finding out who they even are is next to none. Good luck!

Last edit: by Redifer.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 05:35 #47510

The size and nature of the pool of beta testers obviously has a part to play. Previously, anyone willing to pay the $99 annual fee could download and play with iOS and OSX build. Now Apple has made it even easier with the public beta program for OSX. This self-selecting pool of people could include not only developers but press, hobbyists, bloggers, and even just the curious. You're right that there's no way to keep a lid on information when the group gets that large. Just like how it's nigh impossible for apple to keep iPhone components from poping up online months in advance. There's simply too many people involved in the process.

On the other hand, we've never seen legitimate leaks of FCP X features or UI in advance- and we must presume its in the hands of plug-in makers, press, training, and whatever pool of beta testers they employ.

But these people have a vested imterest in remaining part of the program. So they're not included to break NDAs.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 06:27 #47511

… On the other hand, we've never seen legitimate leaks of FCP X features or UI in advance- and we must presume its in the hands of plug-in makers, press, training, and whatever pool of beta testers they employ….

pure speculation, but the 'pool' of beta-testers for FCPX is probably just a 'bucket' ;), in terms of a handful of professionals; ... imagine, Apple could trace a leak back to M.Spencer or L.Jordan => business suicide!

I never understood the use of a public beta ... ok, it means a real-life test in all sorts of configurations, you would never imagine nor reenact at 'home'... but how to evaluate 1mio replies usefully (as now for Yosemite)?? ....

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 09:53 #47516

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
OMG so boring. Can we please return to normal programming.?

What is there in Yosemite that might impact 10.1.2?
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Last edit: by Seanus.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 13:53 #47527

OK, I'll get things back on track with a few crazy wishes:

1. Automatic transciption using Siri-style remote word recognition so you can do arrange keywords through dialogue.

2. Waveform detection for volume so handles will snap a preset number of frames before and after audio that peaks above a certain level - useful for quickly breaking down dialogue.

3. Assigning a master clip (or role) to clips in a timeline so adjustments/effects made to one affect all of them.

4. A 3 Way Colour Correction (I know, crazy).

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:01 #47528

OMG so boring. Can we please return to normal programming.?

What is there in Yosemite that might impact 10.1.2?

I'd say none. 10.1.2 will be out long before Yosemite, if not very shortly.

I'll throw my cards down and say the longer term development at this stage is-

10.1.2 feature release in June (but with lots of bug and optimization stuff)
10.1.3 maintenance release sometime in the late Summer
10.1.4 feature release after Yosemite, and probably very late in the year

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:38 #47529

I never understood the use of a public beta ... ok, it means a real-life test in all sorts of configurations, you would never imagine nor reenact at 'home'... but how to evaluate 1mio replies usefully (as now for Yosemite)?? ....

It's either pain now or bigger pain later- because the people who are going to be the worst hit by bugs are those who are the "simplest" computer users.

My mum and dad don't know why stuff doesn't work. They just call me when it doesn't. If 50,000 people want to sign up for Apple's public Beta, be willing Guinea pigs, and find 95% of the problems that are going to impact people like them- that's fine by me.

But undeniably people are going to get burned. We've already seen thread here where people have gotten into trouble installing Yosemite and not understanding why things don't work. Yosemite is new and cool, and some people will "damn the torpedoes", but the good sense not to do things like that only really comes from making those kinds of mistakes.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:38 #47530

I really feel like Apple is working on the color board and color correction tools in this upcoming release. Given the amount of time it's taking and when I had a phone conversation with Steve Bayes & some of the Final Cut Pro X engineers, it was what they were most interested in. I could be wrong but I think we are going to see some changes if not this release than the next.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:43 #47531

@JFilmmaker1

When did that conversation take place? Cause you have to put that discussion into perspective on how long it takes to implement new UI and features.

To put it in perspective, early last year we saw job postings for FCP X positions to do with audio. And I don't think we've seen the results of that stuff yet.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:49 #47532

Very true @DisproportionatePictures. It's all speculation at this point in time. I'm really curious to see what Apple has up there sleeve.

Here's something I found interesting though when I talked with them they asked a lot of questions about color wheels and I even had an engineer call me at a later time asking more questions about color wheels; so not sure what is going to happen with the color board. Time will tell.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 14:57 #47534

Clearly something is going on, JFilmmaker1- so that's exciting.

Without getting into NDA stuff, there were lots of interesting things about interoperability, both to do with iCloud and between Mac and iOS devices, that it will be interesting to see if they impact FCP X in a meaningful way in the near term.

I'd be very surprised if any advancement on the collaborative front isn't tied to iCloud syncing in some fashion, so improvements there are welcome.

And while I personally don't expect to see you be able to pick up your iPad and keep editing from your Mac they way they demonstrated with Pages, second-screen functionality for audio and color are areas I think are interesting.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 16:13 #47540

OK, I'll get things back on track with a few crazy wishes:

1. Automatic transciption using Siri-style remote word recognition so you can do arrange keywords through dialogue.

2. Waveform detection for volume so handles will snap a preset number of frames before and after audio that peaks above a certain level - useful for quickly breaking down dialogue.

3. Assigning a master clip (or role) to clips in a timeline so adjustments/effects made to one affect all of them.

4. A 3 Way Colour Correction (I know, crazy).

Got my vote for number 3!!! Next version of Adobe Premiere CC is supposed to have this feature and I really want this in FCPX.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 18:33 #47547

Wonder if we'll see something tomorrow? Especially now that WWDC is over and that excitement is winding down.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 19:08 #47549

My hopes are for more finder level metadata tagging that follows into FCP X. Having that would be a huge help.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Jun 2014 21:41 #47561

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
For 10.10 I was thinking things like share to Mail Drop and backups to iCloud Drive.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 19:51 #47599

Ug...was hoping for at least a bug fix today.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:00 #47601

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 73
As the time spans longer and longer I can't but think there's going to be bigger disappointment when it finally drops. No matter what they throw in they'll be "after all this time they still haven't add/fixed..." If it's not a major feature release there's going to be an awful lot of grumbling.

FCPX 10.1.2 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Jun 2014 20:04 #47602

• plysat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 67
" If it's not a major feature release there's going to be an awful lot of grumbling."

Let's Get Ready To GRUUUMMBBLLEE!!! ;-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

Last edit: by plysat.