fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 01:43 #10088

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76
Ha Ha! Well I always said I was "bleeding edge" and back in the day AVID was bleeding edge. I must've trained 100s of editors and now as a freelancer I keep bumping in to them! "Do you remember me? I did your AVID course in 1995?" ahhhh yeah of course I do....;)
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Seanus.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 02:12 #10089

• BenB
  • BenB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Most of my students are out of state. Most of the ones here in Louisiana I see monthly at our FCPUG meetings.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 02:37 #10092

• Seanus
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 76

Most of my students are out of state. Most of the ones here in Louisiana I see monthly at our FCPUG meetings.

Melbourne used to be the film and television centre of Australia. Now Sydney has taken that mantel. To us down under its a bit like going from New York to L.A.

Having seen a lot of America Louisiana is still a place I must see before I shuffle off this mortal coil. It has given too much to this world for me to ignore.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 03:07 #10094

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
And it's the third largest feature film market in the U.S. In fact, for 2012 we've had more features produced here than Los Angeles. Although most post work still goes out to NY and LA. But we're working on changing that. Hell, Pixel Magic opened up an office here with tons of compositors working 24/7.

But come for the food, the music, the people. That's what we're best at.

Last edit: by BenB.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 03:09 #10095

That's because making films in Los Angeles is too damn expensive. It's far cheaper to do it over there. If LA wants to keep business here they have to make it attractive to shoot.

Always wanted to visit! Maybe soon :)

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 03:16 #10098

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Plus the food is better here, we have a huge variety of geography, and in NOLA you can carry a drink on the street 24/7.

Did I mention the amazing food and more restaurants per capita for the world? Probably more live bands playing on weekends than anywhere else, too. Just no heavy rock scene, which sucks.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 03:33 #10100

Two words: Shrimp Po-boy.

Damn!

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 12:28 #10119

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Louisiana stole the position years ago from Florida. We have the best tax rebate system for "media" development (film, audio, gaming, etc) in the country. Lots of other states are modeling similar tax systems off of ours, but no one has taken our title as number 3 behind California and New York yet. We even have game companies moving here now. EA opened a game development center at LSU where I teach. I helped design and installed a state of the art training lab this past December that teaches Maya, 3D Max, AE, etc, etc, etc, all XSAN and all. Yeah, we have TONS of features being done here.

Yes, we are the BIG LA, not the little L.A, we are a whole STATE making films all over the place, not just one little city.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 14:07 #10114

What sort of operation would you consider "big client"?

Clients that have between 10-100 seats. They are all convinced that FCP X cannot share media like AVID or even FCP 7 can.

Yes we are on of these Clients but our issue wasn't the Application itself I had it soled, what prevent the facility to go completed to Final Cut Pro X from the previous version was Adobe.
They had a better volume deal for 200 seats.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 14:11 #10115

As someone who works remotely most of the time from my clients, and who's slowing building a "soft office" of editors, producers, and directors- I'd love to see iCloud be able to be used in this capacity as well. The idea of two editors at different sites (with copies of the same Event files) able to add metadata to a common, iCould synced Events makes me giddy.

Yes this would be cool and we know it is possible the is question does Apple see this as good idea or, are they getting enough feedback/request for this.
I mention this before having a Assistant on one machine doing the organizing while the Editor is going at it would pretty cool!

Last edit: by Scrubelicious.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 14:21 #10116

And it's the third largest feature film market in the U.S. In fact, for 2012 we've had more features produced here than Los Angeles. Although most post work still goes out to NY and LA. But we're working on changing that. Hell, Pixel Magic opened up an office here with tons of compositors working 24/7.

But come for the food, the music, the people. That's what we're best at.

That is interesting to know I thought it was Michigan or PA do to there great refundable tax.
Need to mark LA (not L.A.) in my book. :cheer:

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 15:18 #10131

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
OK, so I'm not holding my breath, but based on the announcement Apple is speaking publicly on the 27th, I'm now betting we see 10.0.6 on July 3th.

At least I get a new desk mic retractable arm installed today and a new iPad stand, and a new copy of Alexis Van Hurkman's Color Correction Handbook (someone stole my copy), and a new long list of tutorials to write up for macProVideo.com, so that's something. It's not an uneventful day.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 17:40 #10135

Hi all

Just a note here. I have no clue what Apple will speak about other than the text they gave me that we have posted on the next meeting page over on lafcpug.org. And as always I would not read anything into it other than what it specifically states. And yes, we can't tape the presentation. So...if you want to see it, got to be there or send a friend and have him/her give you a summation. Still seats left if you want to get in on the fun but register soon. www.lafcpug.org/user_schedule.html

Oh and trying to do something about the wifi speed in the theatre. Yeah, its pretty darn slow.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 21 Jun 2012 20:24 #10141

Is there a twitter hashtag everybody attending is going to be using?? I would love to follow the tweets as the meeting is going on...

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 04:43 #10147

#lafcpug works

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 19:37 #10154

Plus the food is better here, we have a huge variety of geography, and in NOLA you can carry a drink on the street 24/7.

You have to check out Europe, ;) maybe IBC this year? :cheer:

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 22:40 #10166

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Visit here first, then tell me about Europe. Our food is better, anyway.

If someone pays me to travel to IBC, I'd love to go. That is an expensive trip from here.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 22:50 #10169

• cgbier
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Uhm, the Dutch kitchen is not necessarily known as hotbed of haute cuisine... If it hadn't been for ethnic restaurants I'd have starved to death the three years I lived in Holland. :evil:

No comparison to the food from the delta.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 22:55 #10170

I had your specialty blackened fish. I don't know man since I have been Europe I prefer the EU food over home traditional... except for BBQ we are still kings when it come down to the grill. Can't beat a SC style BBQ!

Can't say how much the tickets are but I do recalling paying 800 bones for a two way when we fly back to the US for the NAB, that is a different season.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 22 Jun 2012 22:58 #10171

Yeah I wasn't to excited about the dishes in Netherlands but again allot has been adjusted to the modern style kitchen it seems they lost there tradition in the translation. Except there Fish and Gauda...