fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 02:53 #9980

Pets to me would describe someone who only posts positive comments. Larry Jordan has been very clear about describing the faults of the not only the launch- but ongoing deficiencies of the software. Steve Martin is more cagey in his criticism, but after his 10.0 training videos leaked to the internet before FCPX's launch, I'm sure he's just happy to still be on that list.

You may not like that some trainers have special access to Apple, but that's the way it is in tech journalism. Some sites get advance review units, some don't. Some Apple writers got the advance preview of Mountain Lion in February, some didn't.

Larry was ready with a crapload of Smoke2013 training the day it went live. Is Autodesk to be similarly derided?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 03:01 #9981

• BenB
  • BenB's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Well, Larry seemingly has gotten to talk to Apple before hand in the past. But he states he's not getting advanced copies of anything.

Last edit: by BenB.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 03:09 #9982

"Steve and Mark are in no danger."

Really? Then why do they always dress in black?

;)

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 04:10 #9983

Well, I think Apple is trying to have their cake and eat it too. By speaking with and updating a few key industry leaders/shills (again, up to the observer) they are trying to provide additional info/learning right away to their anxious pro user based.

Based on the extent of freaked-out-edness that ensued following the launch of X, it's their way of providing more info and reassurance without violating their "secretive" policies. I guess. It's definitely half a loaf, but better than none.

I think it's great that they are going in front of real pro editors at the LA event. Hopefully the new features are useful and well thought out and truly professional. And hopefully more pro editors open their eyes/minds to the potential that lies within FCPX.

Let's hope they get a booth at NAB next year...

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 04:35 #9985

The important thing is that they are speaking at a public sitting.
Isn't this what everybody wanted... shows how serious they with the pro side of the book right?

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 04:40 #9986

Well, it IS good to have training available on the day of release- background politics aside (and I legitimately know nothing about that)- it's good for users. If trainers are getting screwed that IS crummy. I wish we had more Apple Certified trainers in my area- there are few to no FCPX courses going on in Toronto.

But I doubt very highly that they'll have a booth at NAB. Maybe... MAYBE if it was part of a concerted push by Apple next year involving new MacPros and a big 10.1 release. But that's a big maybe. Apple has made it very clear they were backing away from trade shows....

That would be great for me, since I am planning on going next year.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 04:41 #9987

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Apple doesn't do a booth anywhere anymore, they announced that policy years ago. Tons of money on a booth that brings in very little new business. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Let me rephrase my statement, Mark and Steve are not "in" danger, they "are" danger. Have you seen the more advanced Motion 5 courses they have? Blows me away.

I heard a story that a higher up made the decision to dum-down FCP against the wishes of the dev team, and he got in tons of trouble. Now the dev team has to play catch up. That rumor aside, the good news is we've been getting updates and new features faster than any other NLE ever has to date. Adobe and Avid have no way to deliver the updates as fast and as full as Apple has via the App Store. I expected to have more features returned by now, but I'm good with what we got. Programming takes a long time to do. We have a few promised new features posted on Apple's site already. Let's cross our fingers that Thursday they talk about way more than those.

My fear is they will only talk about those, and that'll be it. I hope they don't flub another NAB Show 2011 episode again.

If we see no update tomorrow, I'd still have hope for one on the actual anniversary on Thursday. If not, I guess we will see what Apple says at LAFCPUG, and hope for something MAJOR the following Tuesday. I mean, come on man, it's the FIRST ANNIVERSARY! I think the dev team would do something really amazing to celebrate. Right?

In fact, if the dev team really wanted to impress, a major blow-us-away update that DAY on the anniversary, PLUS announcing some major blow-us-away updates across the remainder of the year.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 04:51 #9989

Apple said at the NAB press briefings that the ones listed wouldn't be the only ones.

Copy/Paste attributes and Roundtrip to Motion are my biggies. And selfishly, I REALLY want iChat theatre back, though it may have to wait until the new Messages platform comes out with Mountain Lion. And broadcast Monitoring for Motion5.

I still say they'll stick to their pattern. Tomorrow or next Tuesday. Even if the update has been out for a week, who's NOT going to go and see Apple demo and discuss these new features?

Unfortunately, I think really big BLOW AWAY new stuff (not revitalized legacy features) would be for 10.1 and wouldn't be pre-announced.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 05:12 #9990

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I just feel, personally, that anniversaries are very special, and should be honored. A boy can dream...

iChat Theater, [drrrrroooollllll].....

As for legacy features, they are still a few we need badly. BUT that said, every legacy feature that came back has been so far advanced and awesome it's been all that and fries. Do kids still say that? I mean, look at multiclip, look at the Browser, look at effects we can roll our own with in Motion.

[ddddrrrrrroooooooooolllllll......]

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 05:13 #9991

Talk to Peter Hall at the Training Center (888) 922-1132. I think he arranges trainings in Toronto.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 05:21 #9992

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Hey Tom, you've been through the FCP mill more than most of us here, any predictions?

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 05:39 #9993

The other think I hope they really get sorted out is backups. Personally, I haven't had any problems with project or event file corruption in 4 months. But Twitter is littered with people who say they've lost days of work.

Either these people are doing something TERRIBLY wrong, or there's a deeper problem that's completely inconsistent from user to user. Regardless- loosing work should be the last thing people have to worry about- so backups should be as frequent and redundant as necessary so this never happens.

Auto Transcription on import would be gangbusters, but probably a 10.1 feature.

Also wonderful would be the ability to hear the full project audio within a compound clip (optionally).

Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 05:56 #9994

I've had 2.5 events go "corrupt" on me, so it feels kinda like part of dealing with a new product to me. I was able to get back up and working but in one case I had to create the event from scratch and relink the project. Major pain.

As far as backups, there should be a feature that allows you to automatically save at least a project file to another volume--you know, in case your main volume where the event and project are goes down. Best practices dictate you've got events in two places and at least the original source backed up twice.

I do it manually now every couple of hours but that's a pain. (and please don't take that sentence out of context). Gotta get the app from Digital Rebellion that does it automatically.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 06:19 #9995

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
When your Events and Projects go bad on you, have you tried restoring from FCP's own backup database file? Just wondering if that's backing up so often it actually backs up the corrupted data or not. I can say that the Auto-Save-Vault feature still in Motion keeps saving my ass, just like it did in legacy FCP.

As much voice work as I do, and FCP X is phenomenal for recording and editing voice work. WOW! I wish when I brought up the audio record window, it defaulted to the same default Event as the Project/Timeline I'm recording to. Why it doesn't know baffles me. Ugh...

Event Manager X should be purchased and incorporated as part of FCP X internally, as should a Disk Image creation function that makes it way easier. AND allow us to eject volumes from inside FCP X.

PLUS the telepathic interface I know Apple is close to perfecting that I've been waiting decades for....

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 06:36 #9997

"When your Events and Projects go bad on you, have you tried restoring from FCP's own backup database file? Just wondering if that's backing up so often it actually backs up the corrupted data or not."

I did not. My understanding is that if X sense that the primary event or project is effed, it will automatically open the backup. Is there a way to manually invoke the backup?

The Ripple guys showed how to screw up your main file on purpose to force that back up to launch but that seemed pretty far off the grid when trying to troubleshoot an actual corrupt work project.

Totally agree with your other suggestions. Let's hope they are listening!

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 06:51 #9998

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Yeah, their whole point was to show that there are times you're going to have to force it to open the backup.

Move the corrupted database out of the Event/Project folder to your Desktop. Move the backup into it's place. Double click it. You'll get a warning the file can't be read, ignore that warning and it'll use that file to create a new Current...blah..blah file and open it. If that works, move the original from your desktop to the trash and EMPTY it. If it doesn't work, post here.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 18:03 #10002

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
I woke up, saw it was Tuesday, and checked for FCP X 10.0.6. Nothing. Then I realized, it's only 5am in Cupertino...

California sleeps way to late into the day.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 18:08 #10003

It's always after 9am ET. Though time of day is never certain. Updates have dropped in the afternoon before.

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 23:24 #10021

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Hey, I don't see that post on Larry's webinars page. You sure it's there? Is that the correct link? Or am I really getting too old?

Re: Apple To Speak At LAFCPUG On June 27 19 Jun 2012 23:37 #10022

Okay. This is really getting weird. IT IS NOT THERE ANYMORE! He took it down! Perhaps all the caterwauling on this and other boards? Did Apple slap his hand? This gets more curious by the minute.

Either that or I am the one getting too old.