fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 25 Oct 2021 22:53 #116984

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
1 hour clip, have to cut out curse words and nudity for TV broadcast. Used to load up almost instantly, at least within 15-20 seconds. Let it sit for 3 hours, still not finished generating wave forms. Unacceptable.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 27 Oct 2021 04:09 #117016

Same issue here.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 27 Oct 2021 14:24 #117026

Similar issues here - 'generating audio waveforms' is taking forever despite the cache being a fast SSD - I can't work as I'm doing a lot of dialogue / interview editing. FCP is unusable today,

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 27 Oct 2021 15:32 #117033

I tried to go back to 10.5.4 and use a new library but somehow the old version crashes every few seconds. Working with Proxy files doesn't help either. I am pretty disappointed with Apple.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 27 Oct 2021 17:11 #117038

So it seemed that I'd got rid of this problem with a cache location change, preferences delete, restart and reopen, but on a different project its returned. Now I'm in an endless loop waiting for a project to 'load', which I'm guessing is caused by the same issue.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 30 Oct 2021 23:27 #117100

Long time lurker here, and I'm having the same problem! Mac Pro 2013 Trash can, Big Sur... editing is impossible....... new MBP won't be here for another month! If anyone sorts this out, please let us know! I'll post back if I sort it out as well. One thing that's weird is now when I quit it says "Quitting background tasks" even though there is nothing going on.

Last edit: by jefgibbons.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 01 Nov 2021 11:49 #117106

Hi all - I joined this forum just to make the point I have exactly the same problem. Things that took 5-10 seconds now take minutes or hours. This is completely ridiculous! I don't use FCP to make my living but if I did my business would fall apart. How does one complain to Apple about this?

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 01 Nov 2021 19:51 #117117

Yes! I have exactly the same problem! Had no issues a week ago, brand new MacBook Pro, finally learnt to consolidate libraries to speed things up and using proxy files. Put in some clips 2 days ago ready to edit today, no issue then only now! Every time I blade the clip or move a clip around the audio waveform disappear and can take 20-30 second to reappear… only if I do nothing on FCP. Audio still plays but it’s slowing down my productivity.
So what’s changed?? A recent automatic update to FCP that’s what. There’s a bug in the system that needs sorting… no at home work around that I can see apart from spending 30 times longer editing 😡

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 04 Nov 2021 15:52 #117245

Having this same issue with slow load times of projects and libraries. Also whenever I try and open Title Generators all of final Cut crashes! I recently updated to Monterey at the same time. Not sure which is causing the issues? The new FCPX 10.6 or Monterey? Or both? I have many clients I work for (do video for a living) and this is unacceptable to be this wonky from an upgrade!

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 06 Nov 2021 00:42 #117275

So apparently I had automatic updates on, and this morning I got unexpectedly upgraded to 10.6.

I'm noticing that the audio waveforms on my clips in the timeline are taking FOREVER to load, which wasn't the case previously. Anyone else notice this?

i.e. you make a cut in the timeline (or just zoom in or out) and the waveforms disappear and take 4-5 seconds to reappear.

I saw MKBHD's review of the M1 Max MacBook Pro 16 and he mentioned the delay in the waveforms refreshing. I KNEW it had nothing to do with it being the M1 model as it is happening to me as well. I am using an early 2015 base model MacBook Pro 13 and for me the waveforms are taking between 4 to 25 seconds to refresh whenever I make cuts/trims in the timeline.

I edit primarily based on waveforms, so this is slowing me down so much more, as if the sluggish performance of my old MacBook Pro wasn't enough 😩

I hope Apple comes up with a fix for this soon because it's driving me crazy.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 06 Nov 2021 14:45 #117291

First-time poster chiming in with the same issue. OS 11.6.1, FCP 10.6, M1 Mac Mini, audio in the clips is stereo, AAC 48k, video is h.264. This happens with a library that was updated from a previous FCP version, as well as a library that was created with 10.6.

As one example, a six-minute clip takes ten minutes or more to redraw a waveform in the timeline when adding effects or making any edits.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 06 Nov 2021 16:10 #117293

Does this improve if you optimize the media to use ProRes proxies?

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 06 Nov 2021 16:47 #117294

Does this improve if you optimize the media to use ProRes proxies?

I tried proxies, but there was no improvement at all.

I use 1080p mp4 videos from Canon SL2 with an extra audio track recorded in Audacity and exported to wav. Playback has always been smooth as long as I don't add any visual plugins. My first cuts are based on waveforms to remove silences and mistakes, and I have always been able to do it quickly and smoothly even on my 2015 base MBP.

FCP 10.6 broke something with the waveforms 😞

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 06 Nov 2021 16:55 #117295

Does your filmstrip load, just not the waveform? Optimized having the same problem?

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 07 Nov 2021 01:26 #117298

Does your filmstrip load, just not the waveform? Optimized having the same problem?

Everything loads, but the waveforms disappear whenever I cut/trim and take ages to reappear.

Optimized, proxies, same deal. Started happening with FCP 10.6 😞

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 07 Nov 2021 19:59 #117322

If you are suffering from this or similar issues with the recent update please take a moment to report it to Apple. Apple can't fix what they dont know about, and they will hopefully fix the squeaky wheel first -so make it squeak! *COMPLAINING ABOUT IT ON ONLINE FORUMS DOES NOT GET IT FIXED*
it is very quick and simple to report the issue at the Apple website, here: www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Last edit: by Struggling_Editor. Reason: emphasis added for additional 'umphff'

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 07 Nov 2021 20:44 #117325

I have sent Apple messages on these issues.

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 08 Nov 2021 16:39 #117359

So another day more slowdowns and crashes - today I crashed for the 3rd or 4th time just opening up a project and noticed this in the crash report...

Crashed Thread: 59 BGTask: FFThumbnailRequestManager Dispatch queue: thumbnailrequestvideo (QOS: UNSPECIFIED)

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 08 Nov 2021 22:52 #117371

I have no idea what happened because I haven't made any changes to my system, but it seems the waveforms issue has been resolved.

I am again able to quickly and smoothly do my cuts/trims based on waveforms as they refresh instantly again.

I'm so glad because this was really holding me back and I can't yet afford a new M1 Mac Mini 😂

10.6 Audio Waveforms Take Forever to Load 09 Nov 2021 03:53 #117376

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
I'm still having issues.