fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 21:49 #28818

Oh...

FCPGuru... you just made me feel so...stupid :P

My first thought is that is precisely how it is meant to be done. I'm looking into this right now. First try worked.

Edit: I should clarify I mean this is precisely how sharing by media browser is supposed to work, not sharing via XML

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Doug Suiter.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 21:51 #28819

No synced clips either. The footage was ProRes with 2 channel audio straight from a Atomos Samurai.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:02 #28820

Try fcpguru's method Mike (outlined above). It just worked like a charm for me on two projects.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:05 #28821

Just noticed it. I am exporting now.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:32 #28823

Okay, so I have exported from FCP with Roles as Multitrack quicktime. In the media browser I imported the project and it linked up to the quicktime and placed the roles on the tracks as expected. Alright for now but not what I eventually want out of this method. By doing it this way all of the volume changes that were applied in FCPX are baked in, as well as any effects that were used. I really want it to bring in the individual stems with audio keyframes in tact. Also since were using Logic effects in FCPX those need to translate over to LogicX so that i can further refine.

This is part of the way there, but certainly not where it needs to be.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:37 #28824

Yes, certainly leaves a lot to be desired. It's really just the same as exporting out stems and bringing it into Logic that way.

You can still use X2Pro to bring in an AAF file. It won't bring over the effects I don't think... but it does separate out the tracks and maintains all the fades, etc.

Hoping for an update soon. Seamless roundtripping would be amazing, even if it's just to mix. Imagine using the iPad app to do a fully automated mix... *salivates*

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:37 #28825

Okay, so I have exported from FCP with Roles as Multitrack quicktime. In the media browser I imported the project and it linked up to the quicktime and placed the roles on the tracks as expected. Alright for now but not what I eventually want out of this method. By doing it this way all of the volume changes that were applied in FCPX are baked in, as well as any effects that were used. I really want it to bring in the individual stems with audio keyframes in tact. Also since were using Logic effects in FCPX those need to translate over to LogicX so that i can further refine.

This is part of the way there, but certainly not where it needs to be.

Mike

Amen,

.fcpxml=
-Roles as Track clusters.
-A/B the overlapping tracks or at least put the same audio clip on the same track all the way across the project.
-Proper Handles
-Proper .aaf support to make it a "Pro" app so I can send the mix elsewhere if the job depends on it.

That's all I'm askin for, which is what I had before.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:40 #28826

I agree Mike. It's really just a slight improvement on manually importing roles as stems.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:41 #28828

I don't even want round tripping. I'd like to see FCPX and Logic (and Motion projects) elements dynamically linked.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 22:47 #28829

It's a start, let's see what comes next. At least now I can do some editing with sliders. And totally agree with the comment on Dynamic linking, but I'll take round tripping for a start.

Quick LogicX question though for you folks that are more proficient. Is there a way to get a larger display of the master meters? It is way to small in the mixing panel.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 19 Jul 2013 08:47 #28839

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Maybe the lack of fcpx integration means that they have something else planned for audio work with fcpx...

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 19 Jul 2013 13:56 #28850

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Yes, and each Role is it's own track, but I'd rather have each audio clip separate. Plus, it is dumping files into the Media Browser. Any one know where exactly that Media Browser's folder is? How do we remove files from it?

You can also export an AIF to the Media Browser inside LPX, and access it via the Audio media browser > Logic Pro X > Projects in FCPX. But I know where the LPX project folder is. But where are these Browser files FCPX exports?

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 19 Jul 2013 14:39 #28853

Julian - If that's the case then Apple better get on it quick. And while their at it let me know that that is the plan please!!! Right now the audio editing feels like I am back in 1997 with nothing but rubber banding. I need proper faders so I can mix on the fly! I would also like to see some type of track type editing put in place for audio. Maybe a switch that will just create tracks out of roles. And once you throw that switch to "track" audio out based on roles I want the ability to add track based effects. All this copying and pasting of effects is crazy. Let me apply effects to a dialogue role/track.

All in all I am a bit frustrated and disappointed right now. I had such high hopes for a smooth integration of FCPX and LogicX. It's not there, and true to form, Apple is telling us nothing. They need to stop treating professionals like the iPhone buying general public. We're basing business decisions off of what they are planning for the future. And as it stands now we are basing those decisions on speculation and hearsay... not the optimal way to make a business decision.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 19 Jul 2013 14:56 #28856

The best thing you can do if hit the feedback button in FCPX.

It seems certain there's a big update coming in the short term, but where it's focus will be we have no idea. This is the first major update for FCPX where we haven't been given a glimpse at the roadmap.

That's frustrating, but it's also sort of exciting, because it means they're moving beyond reintegrating legacy functionality.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 19 Jul 2013 18:22 #28859

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I think the audio is going to have to be handled with roles. I think the big challenge for them has been the fact that FCPX is trackless, so how do you convert that into something that works in a track based DAW? Roles would seem like the best option, but I'm sure there are big challenges that need to be overcome.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 25 Jul 2013 18:13 #29088

There's a LPX update today, it's worth trying xml again. I've only tried a couple of simple projects but it seems to work OK

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 25 Jul 2013 18:14 #29089

Release notes don't make any mention of FCPXML improvements.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 01 Aug 2013 19:28 #29367

Did the new FCPX update fix anything?

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 01 Aug 2013 19:32 #29369

Based on the notes, doubtful. I think it's going to take a new version of FCPXML to get things straightened out. Although my real hope is that "if" there's going to be linking between Logic and FCP, then we won't have to do an XML transfer at all.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 05 Sep 2013 17:41 #30814

Just a quick update here. Logic 10.0.3 and FCPX 10.0.9 still don't play nice together. Exporting an XML and importing into Logic resulted in none of the audio from my multicam clips coming over, and the video was just the first clip in the sequence (the entire clip, not trimmed).

*sigh* - PLEASE I hope Apple fixes this soon. **hits feedback button**