fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 15:29 #28633

I'm up later than I should be and I'm not exactly sharp at this time of night. But...here's my personal experience:

I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess.

Simple timeline, although from a very complex Event and using sync'd audio.

The result in Logic Pro X was (first a long beach-ball) then basically salad. Vision and audio were completely inaccurate. Also there was a very, very long wait for the "creating overview" process.

Not drawing any conclusions - Just reporting my first experience. Interested to hear everyone else's when I wake up in the morning.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Doug Suiter.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 19:56 #28650

I would imagine that there needs to be a FCPX update to the XML before it works with Logic Pro X.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 22:14 #28658

Alex4D did some testing too, and while his results were better than yours they still weren't perfect.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 22:36 #28662

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
I'm wondering if it's going to be better than using X2Pro. I would hope so, but it might take some time to have something really solid.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 22:59 #28664

Alex4D did some testing too, and while his results were better than yours they still weren't perfect.

That's damn disappointing. Considering everyone asking for a great XML roundtrip and Roles going to Logic X. Not having Logic recognize roles and not even the chronology of tracks is pretty disgraceful.

I'm pretty sure it will come in an update (probably FCPX just needs the update), but in that case, you would think marketing departments would schedule the release of Logic X and the update of FCPX it together so people immediately know what's possible with the software.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 16 Jul 2013 23:08 #28665

• Mattc
  • Thank you received: 0
Pure speculation - but maybe they have scheduled the release of LPX and FCPX update (i.e. FCPX update will be imminent, maybe even next few days)

Either way i think it's good to have something like Logic back in the FCPX environment.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 01:48 #28669

I think I found a hint that FCPX does indeed require an update to get the conversation going with LPX: www.fcptalent.com/logic-pro-x-dialog-box...nts-at-updated-fcpx/

In short, in LPX there's a dialog box that refers to something FCPX doesn't do yet.

In my opinion it's kind of shabby of Apple to let that untended loose end just dangle there and I don't think it will be a loose end for long. I speculate we'll see 10.0.9 very soon.

EDIT: someone on twitter pointed out this same dialog box exists in Garageband. I verified it and it is indeed true.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 16:07 #28707

I can confirm that importing a FCPXML is a disaster. Right now the best way is to export your roles as a multitrack QT or separate audio files and bring them in manually...

But on the other side of things, this is my first time using Logic in a while and the power to create an original score is amazing.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 18:15 #28731

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
I'm very sure that there will be an LPX update soon (10.0.1?) that will fix it's FCPXML read bug. Doesn't seem like a huge deal to fix up for the dev team. Just a temporary PITA for FCPX users at the moment.

Once the read bug is fixed, I don't see any need for Roles in the round trip, really. But, an option would be nice. Fill out the LPX feedback form!

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 20:32 #28744

IMHO Roles in the round trip would be crucial. LPX is still track based and the ability to assign FCPX roles to LPX tracks is how you would organise your audio mix.

By the way - here is a fantastic walkthrough of many of the new features by SFLogicNinja who has a certain flare for explaining. Love this dude :)

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 20:57 #28751

Posted this in a different thread but it's probably better to out it here...

So far it's not working on my end. I exported out a short film I am working on as FCPXML then imported into LogicProX. In FCPX it has 5 music cuts, 2 channels of dialogue, a few SFX clips. When I bring it into LogicX it turns that into 146 tracks!!! Looks like it is grabbing every piece of audio associated with every clip and giving it it's own track. No support for Roles which might have cleaned this issue up. Additionally on the video side it is only bringing across the first video clip in the film and nothing else. And that first clip is the entire clip, not just the edited segment of the clip that is in the film. So my first opinion is that this is a gigantic fail. However I need to preface that by saying I am no Logic expert so it could be something I am doing.

Here's the workflow I used to get it in to LogicX. Exported the project as XML from FCPX. Opened a new project in logic and imported via the File --->import----> Final Cut XML menu.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 21:30 #28756

I have the exact same issue m2dpost... not a logic expert, but seems like a drastic oversight on the logic/fcpx team.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 21:31 #28757

Can I ask if you're using compound clips?

I believe Alex4D's example did not contain any, but mine did. I recently discovered the bug/design flaw that causes FCPX to bring across way too much media using the duplicate used clips function - I suspect this behaviour could be related.

A 10.0.9 update that addresses both these issues by addressing the common underlying problem would be ...timely.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 22:16 #28760

No compound clips on my end Doug. All the footage was straight on the timeline as clips.

Mike

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 17 Jul 2013 22:39 #28764

Perhaps synchronised clips?

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 04:32 #28774

I can confirm that even with two simple prores clips it cannot be brought into LPX. Can't get much simpler than that. Perhaps there is something else I am missing - surely the team could not have released this with out testing it ONCE?

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 13:03 #28789

I'm getting the same results. Same deal as the first month of FCPX. It was missing a ton of features, then the first update hit and it was actually usable. I'm betting the first LPX update will address this or maybe FCPX needs an update. Sucks for those of us needing an efficient protools roundtrip solution in time for Sundance deadlines, that would have been nice. But at least we know the solution is probably on the way... still... it is like paying full price for that new pair of jordans and only getting the left one and no laces...

I'm more disappointed than pissed at this point.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 13:15 #28791

Well, as you said, it's 10.0 of the software- there's bound to be lots of things that weren't going to get shaken out until it went past the small set of Beta testers.

That said, it seems pretty clear from the results thus far that FCPXML was not a major part of their Beta testing process.

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 21:33 #28815

I brought my video via the media browser and it seemed to work ok (although it was at 44.1Khz for some reason)

1. Export Master file and I selected to export the roles as a multitrack quicktime movie.

2. I selected to add the file to the media browser after the export was done.

3. In Logic, the project file appeared in the media browser. When i brought it in, it detected the multitracks and brought them in as well.

Works for the time being I suppose. Honestly, still just learning the app!

Well I just did my first send to Logic Pro X..and it was a complete mess. 18 Jul 2013 21:45 #28817

I brought my video via the media browser and it seemed to work ok (although it was at 44.1Khz for some reason)

1. Export Master file and I selected to export the roles as a multitrack quicktime movie.

2. I selected to add the file to the media browser after the export was done.

3. In Logic, the project file appeared in the media browser. When i brought it in, it detected the multitracks and brought them in as well.

Works for the time being I suppose. Honestly, still just learning the app!

Interesting...