fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 03:41 #280

Rubbish Vader. Call a spade a spade. I am a huge fan of fcp7 and have Edited with fcp since V1 and before that Avid and before that tape and before that film. Please don't assume that because I am voicing my discontent with this terrible release from Apple that I am anti Apple because I am not and I don't have time to waste trawling forums on software I care nothing about. I have requested a refund from the App Store as I do not see this being fixed to the satisfaction of the needs of broadcast editors like myself and my company any time soon. I find it an insult that they claim this is an app that can be used by editors in this field.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 04:57 #284

Further to above..
Received refund. got the following message from Apple.

"I am sorry to hear that the application "Final Cut Pro" does not function as expected and you want to cancel the purchase. I know you must be eager to have this issue sorted out at the earliest and I am glad to look into this.

Tony, I have reversed the charge for this purchase. In five to seven business days, a credit of 349.99 AUD should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase. "

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 05:08 #285

How ridiculous Vadar. Do you think as Editors we so lightly comment? I have also 25 years in broadcasting and this is a toy piece of software and certainly nothing to do with FCP.

It is currently a highly unstable piece of software and other applications like AVID , adobe and premiere have there place but FCP 7 was a giant. FCP X is an 11 year step back in time.

Fast also doesn't always mean efficient or smart, and for the record It definitely isn't fast at all. For example ,try importing a real job with several hours of media into FCP X already encoded at Pro Res HQ 422. The program cannot handle it.

It is NOT a professional application.

Rob

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 10:32 #286

:ohmy: I thought this is a two word thread??? :lol:

@Tony why can it not be used to edit? No slice and dice tools? :woohoo:
@ Rob, not really going judge or defend FCP10 at this moment since I have not received any official training or training material and have not worked on it in a real live job. I generally don't after clicking into the interface for couple of minutes.

But I can say we are about to do a test run side to side with FCP7 and FCP10.
Two of us will, well, should have some downtime with FCP10 by then.
Back to your reply we have prep both workstation which are identical in the hardware and software... Except the one fact of different FCP.
Sofar we have approx. 15 hours of ProRes 422 HQ (as you mentioned) which came out of a AJA KiPro and the KiPro mini.
Both imported fine and keywords, metadata or meatloaf was added to that footage in FCP10 with no issues. Last time I checked 30 min. ago. FCP10 is still open. So I am not sure what you mean "the program cannot handle it" maybe you give us more details (in another thread just to keep this on clean) so we can compare?

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 10:38 #287

Ha.. funny..
No. for a start, you cant view on a proper monitor, you cant input/output to tape, you cant export omf for audio mix, you cant export xml. Just a few things that are pretty much a necessity in a broadcast environment and having done it for over 30 years I feel more than qualified to make that judgement.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 10:45 #288

Did enough of Larry's tutorial, after it was downloaded, to set events and projects up in the right way. I have Pro Res HQ clips which were digitised in FCP 7 in the standard manner of 720 x 576 (PAL) for anamporphic footage.

The spatial function in FCP X does not realise that these clips are 16x9 or allow an option to "pop them out" (unless u know another location for anamorphic tick box?)

Did not copy the clips over. (Why would I want to after digitising them? ) so referenced the originals. It goes into infinite importing death. I .E. starts importing the clips and dies half way.I constantly get this...See attached file but I think any kind've real edit cannot stack up against FCP. The issues lay in that it is an island software, with no third party support, I have to throw away all my plug ins... and the list is endless. It is a piece of junk currently and deeply offensive that Apple have said how awesome it was going to be. It is NOT professional in anyway shape or form.

So staying on FCP 7 and watching how Apple react.

Rob
Attachments:

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 12:30 #292

You keep saying that FCPX cannot output in broadcast monitors etc...

What Apple has to do with that ?
Is a new program, 64 bit, and the companies like Aja, Black magic etc, are responcible for this.
When they make drivers, you will have all this !!!

I have Premiere cs5 and when adobe realeased this version, NOTHING from my old CS4 worked AT ALL.
No drivers for output in monitors, no plugins at all... until severall months.

I still have Adobe After effects cs3 , for some old projects that doesnt work well in CS5... my God are you really a PRO ?

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 13:54 #295

You are missing my point. If this is supposed to replace FCP7, then it should already do everything that does and then have extra features. It is no point going backwards and having to wait for them to implement things that we had before. I am not saying that one day fcpx will not be great, I'm saying right now it can not be used by people needing basic feature sets such as these. If You don't need them, then fine, but don't tell me I am wrong for pointing out obvious omissions of basic features when the product is touted as a replacement.

Last edit: by tonypromos. Reason: typos

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 14:38 #296

Its your opinion, that i respect.

But because i work with many NLE and Graphics - Animation programs , i have those problems, almost on every upgrade, from every company.

Especially now, that Apple choose, to write an entirely new program, with new code (64 bit) and different philosophy.

I cant see how Apple could write plugins for Aja and Black magic....

I cant see how Apple , can provide back compatibility with susch differnet workflow - philosophy.
And if they could, it would cost more than before , not 299 $ !!!

I am a big fun of their philosophy, as i was 10 yeaas ago (Avid had 10 times more those times if you remember).

You can NOW have FCPX with many innovations (and problems) for 299 and have more options , in a while ...if you are a pro you can build your system as you like (plugins will be available for upgrade for free , OMF ,EDL etc is already available from Automatic duck).
Aja an others working on it too...

Why pay all these , if i dont need them ?
I think FCPX is more DEMOCRATIC now...

Thats my point too....

Last edit: by toxotis70.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 17:52 #298

Wow! *lashes himself to the wheel, trying desperately to steer the thread back on course

'crash city'

Hoping that fcpx 1.1 will at least work properly, regardless of it's missing features.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 29 Jun 2011 22:58 #299

• cdw
  • Thank you received: 2
Steady on young man, thats not the British way!

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 30 Jun 2011 05:43 #300

Crashing adnauseam

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 30 Jun 2011 06:02 #301

Mostly Harmless

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 01 Jul 2011 10:20 #308

I don't know why all you guys are downing FCPX. You didn't really think that Apple was going to pull out all the stops in the first edition did you? if you did then you don't know anything about Apple. You guys have forgotten FCP3 that was crap when it first came out. I remember editing on two Sony 5850's and a 440 controller, NLE what the heck was that? Editors tell stories just like a musician plays an instrument, if your a piano player you can play any piano the notes are still the same. Apple is not going to do anything to mess up the release of the new Lion OS, and if you know Apple i will bet that when Lion comes out FCPX will have have things on it the will blow you mind. Just look at us we have been working with that dysfunctional FCP studio for so long we have gotten use to the dysfunction. Embrace the new, you won't regent it, watch. Apple hasn't let us down yet and I think they are going to start. FCPX is more like a baby Smoke system, everything in one program you never have to move, Avid can't do that, and sorry but Premier is still crap. Those of us that have to do editing and MG we need something thats fast and get the job done for less that $14,000 (Smoke). Avid was so scared that they lower their price just to get you to buy it. FCPX will be more than we expected very soon I can feel it.B)

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 03 Jul 2011 04:06 #315

total disappointment!

Last edit: by Jimborajd.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 03 Jul 2011 04:49 #316

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 03 Jul 2011 10:14 #318

• cdw
  • Thank you received: 2

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 04 Jul 2011 02:27 #322

Did enough of Larry's tutorial, after it was downloaded, to set events and projects up in the right way. I have Pro Res HQ clips which were digitised in FCP 7 in the standard manner of 720 x 576 (PAL) for anamporphic footage.

The spatial function in FCP X does not realise that these clips are 16x9 or allow an option to "pop them out" (unless u know another location for anamorphic tick box?)

Did not copy the clips over. (Why would I want to after digitising them? ) so referenced the originals. It goes into infinite importing death. I .E. starts importing the clips and dies half way.I constantly get this...See attached file but I think any kind've real edit cannot stack up against FCP. The issues lay in that it is an island software, with no third party support, I have to throw away all my plug ins... and the list is endless. It is a piece of junk currently and deeply offensive that Apple have said how awesome it was going to be. It is NOT professional in anyway shape or form.

So staying on FCP 7 and watching how Apple react.

Rob

Next week we are going go at with FCPX after some training so I will post my experience here but in another thread...

Why would you copy the clips? Well, if you where like us on a ProRes workflow then there is no need on capturing... just take the clips from the drives and chips and copy them on the workstation. beep done ;)

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 04 Jul 2011 11:12 #324

Automatic Duck is another $500!- I shoot with Canon XF camera- there is no way of getting the footage into the new FCPX. No multicam editing, to get my sound edited properly I need to spend another $500 on additional software, no calibrated monitoring and no import of FCP projects (but yes, you can import iMovie?). I worked with FCP since FCP4 and this v1 crap is stupid- it's missing last 11 years of development. This program is not made for professional environments.

Last edit: by Polishbob.

Re: Two words to describe FCPX... 04 Jul 2011 14:38 #326

What don't you guys understand about two words?? Then you are ranting about FCPX! Can't even get thread right lol.

Anyhow it has been demonstrated on many videos and sites that you can have more then one V1.

I can not say much about the Camera, since we rather use a ProRes file that we can record uncompressed. But training is starting this week... yeah.... :whistle: