I really think the portability of this thing is a bigger deal than we might realize. This kind of gear is made for people who need to work in a lot of different places, that's basically everyone now a days. It has an hdmi output, so you can basically use this computer anywhere. Just buy one of the thousands of accessory bags that will be made for this computer and wherever you go, you will be able to work. I had to lug my 2011 iMac with me to a job I'm working on for the next few days and it's just a pain to move and there are so many parts that could break, I'm pretty sure the new MacPro is just about indestructible. I bet you could run it over with a car and everything will be fine. All flash storage and every part is soldered together. Practically indestructible. Also, how cool would it be to just show up somewhere with that machine ready to just power through any job it gets.
I'd love to hear what people here think is the most important upgrades to make when buying the nMP specifically for FCPX. If you could only upgrade one thing, should you do the processor or the GPU? Thoughts?
I think there's a real danger is answering that question before the new Final Cut is released- it's been newly optimized, so how effectively FCPX would use, say, a MAXED OUT configuration, remains to be seen.
GPU- Apple has worked hard to push a lot of processing off to the GPUs, hence why they thought it was important enough to include 2 of them in the machine. For the extra $600, the D700s are a no-brainer for me.
RAM- It's hard to say when you've got too much RAM, but you sure know when you don't have enough. I would consider 16GB a minimum here. And if you're buying a MP, I'd seriously question anything less than 32GB.
CPU- This is the toughest one. Exactly how and when X and Motion use the CPU isn't clear to me. Whether you'd be better with a 4-core higher clock speed or 12-core with less? I'm not abject to fully dishing out on the 12-core machine if I'm going to see a substantial improvement over the 8-core (which is what I'm most considering)- but at that $1,500 premium- I'm really hoping to see some Benchmarks from Barefeats soon to help me make my decision.
SSD- I've pretty much make up my mind that 512GB is enough space for the OS and my apps. Everything else will be on external drives, so I don't need a ton of space.
Thanks for the reply DP (I like what you did there
Looking at the geekbench scores, I'm still tempted to grab an old 2010/ 2012 machine! I know there's more to these machines than the tests are showing, but I'm thinking a 2010 12 core might be the significant boost I need from my 2008 8-core MP. I love the idea of just tossing my current HDs into the new one, 32GB of RAM, all for half the price of a nMP!
Decisions... I've just been holding out on this dang 2008 for so long!
This is one of the reasons I'm personally (and I'd suggest just about everyone) waiting for Application specific benchmarks. There's too much we don't know about how X will use this hardware.
That said, I dunno. I'd be wary about jumping onto a 3 year old machine- I think you'd be buying for familiarity; and be afraid you wouldn't see the performance improvement you'd want.
If I think I can see real performance benefits from buying a maxed out, 10K machine- I'll do that. I'll keep that machine for 3-4 years, and it will pay for itself in the first job or two of next year.
Mac Pro now available here in U.S. including BTO. BTO delivery in January.
Here is screen shot for a maxed out 1TB Flash…
Also of interest is 4K monitor…Sharp 32" PN-K321 - 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor [Add $3,595.00]
PROMISE Pegasus2 R4 8TB (4 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System [Add $1,499.00]
PROMISE Pegasus2 R6 12TB (6 by 2TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System [Add $2,299.00]
PROMISE Pegasus2 R8 32TB (8 by 4TB) Thunderbolt 2 RAID System [Add $4,599.00]
Congrats Seanus on your order, you made it to the January delivery, we're already at February in Canada, and I'm afraid it will get longer if I wait too long to order!
I really do need a second tower ASAP over here, so I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 12 core. The geekbench scores show it (multicore) as twice as fast as my 2008, and as long as I see a moderate improvement I'll be happy for now. Then I can start building up my external storage that I will need for the nMP when I get one!
Anyone have any best guesses as to if the $1500 difference for the jump to the 8-core from the 6-core is going to pay off in the short (or long) term? Assuming a machine already bumped up to dual D700's?
Apple business rep told me I should have mine by Dec 30th, or that is what Apple's shipping is telling him.
Now, this is interesting. He said they surveyed all of their business clients, and very few wanted the new Mac Pro "tube". The minute they could take pre-orders, he said they got swamped. All those folks who had no need for one now can't order one fast enough.