fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 28 Sep 2022 13:40 #122297

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587
Using the two test clips I can reproduce it using 10.6.4 on both M1 Ultra, M1 Max and a 2017 i7 iMac 27, all running Monterey 12.6. I also tested 10.5.2 on the 2017 iMac 27 and can see it there.

However it's not 100% predictable. If I use JKL to go forward, pause, backward pause, etc. It will eventually stop showing a clear frame. I also just tested several formats from the Sony A7SIII, and those also show the problem but in a less predictable manner. I tried "show both fields" on/off and having the Inspector on/off and it sometimes seem to make a difference, but other times not.

It's not blurry and clear frames -- it changes state so the same frames are sometimes blurry and sometimes clear. On the above two clips they are normally blurry but sometimes clear. On the Sony clips they are more often clear but sometimes blurry (varies by clip and codec). It has an unpredictable characteristic that feels like a hardware cache state or race condition. The fact it never happens on ProRes might imply a hardware decoder issue. It would be very interesting to test on a machine without hardware acceleration such as a Mac Pro "trash can".

That said, it does not happen on Resolve Studio 18.0.3 or Premiere 22.6.2 on my M1 Ultra or M1 Max. I haven't tested that on the Intel iMac yet. However since those are likely using the same Video Toolbox framework, OS and hardware, that would imply a problem at the app layer (ie FCP) not at the framework or OS layer.

The problem is more complex and elusive than first appears. It will take a lot more work to fully describe the boundaries and test conditions to ensure a comprehensive fix. I'm now testing various transcodes and rewraps of the test clips using EditReady and other tools. This will take a while.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 01 Nov 2022 08:34 #122706

I am showing the same issue here.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra - Base model - 48 COre 64GB

Monterey 12.6.1

FCPX 10.6.5

Noticing it on Canon R5 4k long gop 4:2:2 10 bit h265 files, R3D raw files also to a lesser extent though it would appear, but it's still there.

Very annoying as you can't use a still frame to ensure critical focus was achieved in the edit. It's really annoying.

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 01 Nov 2022 11:52 #122708

I can confirm the same issue here:

Mac Studio Ultra / 48 / 64GB
Monterey 12.6

Panasonic S1H footage 10bit 422 All-I

BUT since the recent ProApps codec update the issue has changed. Now during playback footage is sharp. press spacebar to pause and the image goes blurry briefly before sharpening again..

Weird

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 01 Nov 2022 11:55 #122709

Wait Scratch that, footage in the browser is still showing the blur behaviour when paused. Project Timeline though (unrendered) show the behaviour I mentioned above

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 03 Nov 2022 23:48 #122760

Just a further update if it is at all helpful. When using my external Ultrastudio 4K to provide the monitor with a clean HDMI feed, there is no issue at all. The paused video does not blur at all.

FCPX paused video is blurry... but sharp in motion? 03 Nov 2022 23:50 #122761

Just an FYI.

When using my Ultrastudio 4K over thunderbolt to provide the same monitor with a clean HDMI feed at the same resolution, the issue is not present at all. The paused video is as sharp as the source is and there is no blurriness at all.

• Page: