fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 14:44 #120086

• mpaulc
  • mpaulc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Started a new project today, and I'm getting no audio from the clips in my clip browser, regardless of file import format -- mov, mp3, wav, mp4, and regardless of dragging vs importing files into an event.

But if I drag those same silent clips from the browser to the timeline, the audio works fine.

Likewise, if -- for experiment's sake -- I right-click on one of these working clips in the timeline, and choose CREATE COMPOUND CLIP, it will create a compound clip back up in the browser in which the audio actually works. So this means it's not that the browser itself is somehow pointed to the wrong output.
Any ideas? I'm at 10.5.1, so this isn't some new update bug. Old events (made prior to today), all work fine. I've restarted, yep.The compound clip workaround works, but is offensively dumb.THANKS!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 14:46 #120087

Please give details of your system, hardware, OS, and FCP.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 14:48 #120088

• mpaulc
I'm using a Imac Retina 2019, running Catalina 10.15.7, Apollo x4 interface, and FCP 10.5.1. Thanks Tom.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 14:50 #120089

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
A-V or audio-only clips?

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 14:51 #120090

• mpaulc
Thanks Davis. Both and all. mp3s, mp4s, wavs, movs.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 15:24 #120093

A couple of things to try. One is removing the audio interface and just use the built-in audio and see what happens. The other is to update to 10.5.4, which is I think the last version for Catalina.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 15:33 #120094

• mpaulc
Thanks Tom. Tried w. built-in audio, and no change. I'm considering upgrading to Big Sur. I think that's probably pretty safe by now. :) One strange thing: when I expanded my clip view in the browser to include the audio waveform, I noticed that almost all the clips had 1-2 seconds of actual sound about 1-2 seconds into the video, then cut out to silence for the rest of the vid / track, whatever. I keep wondering if this has something to do w. a malfunctioning "remove silent channels" or something.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 15:39 #120095

Are the proper channels checked off in the audio inspector? Could try checking them off and back on again. This is my only guess... Such a strange issue.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 17:14 #120096

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I've seen reports where people have mentioned that when they uncheck "remove silent channels" on import in Preferences -> Import that it helps in some instances.

Another thing to consider is the "Audio Monitoring Bug" from 2015/2016. Some people have found that going into Audio MIDI Setup (in the Applications -> Utilities folder) and reselecting stereo in the "configure speakers" section can help with audio playback in the Browser.

Another tricky thing is how a clip's audio is configured, which can affect whether it will play back with audio or is muted.

If you select a clip in the Browser, then open the Inspector and select the Audio "tab" (speaker icon), you'll see the Pan (Mode) and below the Audio Configuration section. By default the "group/clip audio" is selected in the Audio Configuration section. For me, the Pan mode is set to Stereo Left/Right. Sometimes, the Pan Mode may be set to None, which can prevent audio from playing back in the Browser.

I wonder if the default system settings and changes made in Audio MIDI Setup can affect how the default settings for imported clips are configured.

Here's an example to (hopefully) better illustrate things...

I imported a bunch of media and selected a clip in the Browser with 4 mono channels of production audio. The following screenshot shows the Audio Inspector for the clip.

The clip plays back with audio in the Browser. Skimming the cursor over the "grouped/clip audio" (in the yellow selection box) plays back the audio. The meters (not shown) have two channels, corresponding to the Pan settings.

If I skim the cursor over any of the 4 individual channels (below the yellow selection), no audio is heard.

In the second screenshot, you can see that the Pan is set to None when the 1st individual audio channel is selected (yellow box). The meter shows just one channel when skimming over the selection (meters not shown). Also, no audio plays back when skimming over the selected channel. If you change the Pan Mode to Stereo Left/Right the audio does play back when skimming over the selected channel.

So, on my system at least (2019 Mac Pro, FCP 10.6.2, macOS 12.3.1), the Pan Mode needs to be set to Stereo Left/Right to have audio audible during clip playback in the Browser...
Attachments:

Last edit: by DaveM.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 18:58 #120098

• mpaulc
Davis. I just can't thank you enough for taking the time to write all this up. I went ahead and jumped from Catalina --> Big Sur. I'm still gonna update FCP, but the OS update alone seems to have done the trick. Thanks again to everyone for your help. All the best till next adventure. :)

No Audio in Clip Browser only 19 Apr 2022 20:04 #120099

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh, glad to hear the OS upgrade helped.

That would seem to suggest that the underlying audio device setup was reset in the OS upgrade. So, resetting things in Audio MIDI Setup would very likely do the same thing (in case anyone stumbles across this at a later date). Upgrading the OS is a rather brute force way to fix things and may not be possible if running the current OS... ;-)

Cheers.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 20 Apr 2022 14:41 #120104

• mpaulc
Hey Davis. Welp, today, the problem was back. I headed for Audio MIDI but didn't see anything unusual. But sure enough, that panning issue solved the problem! SELECTING STEREO LEFT RIGHT (vs "none") in the non-playing clips in the browser made the audio work. Thanks again.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 20 Apr 2022 15:23 #120105

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Yeah, I still haven't figured out exactly what's happening myself. I have always been able to get clips to play after changing the Pan setting as you did.

With respect to Audio MIDI Setup, I believe that you need to go in and do the configure speakers action, switch to something else and then quit, then re-do things, switching back to stereo. This "resets" the system's audio configuration. It might be good to do this when FCP isn't running but I'm not sure. Of course, if your setup actually supported surround sound, say 5.1, then I'd imagine you'd want to use Audio MIDI Setup to configure things for that.

It seems that FCP gets the audio configuration from the system and applies that to imported clips. If things are working correctly, it would then set the Pan Mode to properly route the audio to one's speakers (at the group/clip level, at least --- individual channels need manual configuration).

In any event, manually setting a clip's Pan Mode should fix the issue.

I wish that there was more info about this in the FCP user manual, in some Apple Knowledgebase article, or somewhere else on the 'net, but I haven't found anything. A few sentences of clarification from Apple would make thing much less opaque (at least for me)...

Cheers.

No Audio in Clip Browser only 01 May 2022 02:56 #120331

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
A follow-up...

This week I ran into some videos (on YouTube and elsewhere) that played without any audio. I downloaded the videos and they also played locally without audio. I inspected the files and it turns out that they were "mono" a-v files. They all had 1 channel of audio, set to the "center" channel. There were a few applications that would play back the videos with audio (probably all "non-QuickTime" or perhaps ffmpeg-based applications).

This reminded me of the FCP issue where mono clips wouldn't play with audio in the Browser. They would play with audio in a timeline as Projects are either stereo or surround for audio.

The workaround I mentioned previously, one with which I was never really happy, was to set the Pan Mode for clips in the Browser to "Stereo Left/Right".

Some years ago, Apple offered several people advice about resetting the system audio outpt routing using "Audio MIDI Setup". However, the provided instructions weren't clear enough (at least for me), and didn't really fix the issue.

This issue seems to affect some/many people with audio interface HW, such as an external USB audio interfaces, and perhaps PCIe interfaces, too. It may affect some people who have changed audio interfaces or where settings have gotten corrupted.

Mono audio usually plays just fine in FCP's Browser (and elsewhere) if a Mac's built-in speaker(s) or headphones (directly connected to the computer) are used.

Okay, so here's the fix:

Warning:
This is what I consider a hack. It may not apply to all cases where mono audio isn't playing back properly in the FCP Browser, QT Player, and elsewhere. In my case, it may be that the auido interface maker hasn't considered the routing of mono signals properly. For me, at least, this approach does fix how FCP handles mono audio (with Pan Mode set to "None"), as well as playback of mono audio in other applications.

Launch "Audio MIDI Setup" and make sure your audio interface is shown in the device list in the lefthand column of the main window. For reference, I have an Arturia AudioFuse USB audio interface and that is shown in the screenshot. In the main part of the window you see a list of output channels/streams for the AudioFuse device. There is no "slot" for mono audio.

You can see that it's currently set to play alerts and output audio. Next, we want to create a new Multi-Output Device, which is shown below.

After the new device is created we can see it listed in the lefthand column. You should make sure that only your audiio interface is selected in the main part of the window (see below).

Next, we choose "Configure Speakers..." from the "gear" menu, as shown below.

In the resulting dialog, we choose Stereo and then each speaker icon in turn, and finally "Apply" then "Done". That's it. Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

Now, you should be able to play mono clips in FCP's Browser with having to change the Pan Mode from "None".

Hope this helps...
Cheers.

• Page: