fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 06:52 #38527

• Julian
  • Julian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
So I go to file>import and my only two options are MIDI and Audio there is no option for FCPXML anywhere. It's a blank project, I've restarted and tried creating different projects and it doesn't change. Am I missing something?

It also looks like I'm missing a bunch of other import options as well.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Julian.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 07:47 #38528

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
That UI is missing a LOT of things. I notice too bar icons missing, too. Plus, under your audio tracks, it shouldn't be icons, but an "A" button an "M" button. The section title bar below the video window doesn't look quite right, either. And if this was a "blank project" you shouldn't have multiple audio tracks, nor a movie loaded up already. And the interface is gray accents, not blue.

Did you purchase this via the App Store?
Can you verify it is 10.0.5? Go to the Logic Pro X menu, select "About Logic Pro X", verify you're on the correct version. I have a feeling you're not on 10.0.5 yet.

Here is what you should see.

Attachments:

Last edit: by BenB.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 07:56 #38529

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, it's 10.0.5 and I got it through the App store. It was with an employee redemption code, but I haven't had any issues with FCPX, Motion, or any of the other apps I got with my redemption codes having any limited features, it doesn't make sense that Apple would limit those things on an employee version...

This is the first time I've tried doing this, but I've had the app for a while, but it's up to date according to the app store.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 08:26 #38533

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Go to the "About Logic Pro X" window, verify it is 10.0.5. I can almost guarantee it isn't, based on your screen shot.

Here is what 10.0.5 public release looks like.

Attachments:

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 10:25 #38540

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, that's weird. When it opens there is that loading prompt like in their other apps. This one is like a machined aluminum type look and it says 10.0.5. I've also verified this in the about window. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled from the App Store. It looks like garage band compared to your screen shot. I'll have to check my other computer when i get home tomorrow to see if it's the same thing.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 17:56 #38569

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
What OS version are you running?
What Mac model and year?
Also, I'd try to confirm with you boss at Apple that you're not downloading a beta version, too.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 19:16 #38576

Logic Pro X has two general modes: basic and advanced. Go into your Preferences (Command+comma), click on the Advanced tab, and click "Show Advanced Tools". I guarantee your Import Final Cut Pro XML will show up after you do this.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 19:38 #38578

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Ah ha! Now there's a not so useful function! LOL! Thanks Gabriel, good catch.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 19:42 #38581

You're welcome! I've actually found it to be an incredibly useful function, however. Those coming from GarageBand can work in a simplified mode that they're familiar with; once they're comfortable with the program they can just switch on the advanced controls and dive into a much deeper program. I think it was a thoughtful addition to Logic Pro X, which can be quite intimidating to those who are new to it.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 21:26 #38597

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Yes, and I just found an article about it at AskAudio.com, also. Slick.

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 09 Jan 2014 22:00 #38600

That's actually great for me. The layout of LPX looks overwhelming for someone like me who's just starting with it. I'm not a musician but want to use it for some FCPX soundtrack stuff. I can likely get by fine for a good while with just Garageband, but there will be a day soon that it won't be enough.

So, it's cool I can get in an at least start becoming familiar with LPX without all the advance stuff right off the bat.

The only thing that's preventing me from pulling the trigger and buying it, are all the reports of FCPXML roundtrip import/export not working properly.

But, I'm wondering... are these problems more related to importing older projects? For example, if I have a brand new project created in the latest version of FCPX, get all my sync'd audio where I want it, etc. Then want to export the whole thing with everything still in-sync on their own tracks, import into the most recent version of LPX, add some soundtrack stuff or effects, etc. then roundtrip back to FCPX... will that work without issue? Or, is that exactly what's broken?

No FCPXML import option in Logic Pro X 10.0.5 10 Jan 2014 00:30 #38624

• Julian
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I knew I had to be missing something. I really do like how Apple tries to simplify stuff like this, my only problem is that none of this was specified in the documentation. When I read the manual about FCPXML it didn't make a reference to the portion of the manual that would explain this feature. The documentation could be better with their products in general. I know they like to surprise and delight, but sometimes it doesn't work that way.

Thanks for the help. It worked and I got to see a really messy project. Fortunately, I give that to someone else to deal with, but I'm at a recording studio so we'll stick to ProTools for now since that does just as good of a job when using X2PRO. I'm not really seeing any advantage to using logic until they make the workflow more role based.

• Page: