fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Final Cut Pro 10.6.2 Spotted in Benchmark Tests 13 Mar 2022 00:48 #119433

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520

i supposed precomposing or rendering the titles would isolate them as the problem.

That is correct. If you could do that, it would eliminate the current problem.

Obviously that should not be required; it is a workaround. I think the underlying issue involves the Motion runtime engine. Assuming that 95% of built-in FCP Fx are Motion-based, there are two separate cases:

- Fx can be rendered to ProRes 422 cache and re-used for export, so the Fx does not need recomputing.

- Fx is rendered to ProRes 422 cache but is blocked from re-use for export (and also all layers and Fx within the same timeline range), so all in that range must be recomputed.

In addition to the cache problem the computation itself of certain Motion-driven Fx is apparently less efficient on Apple Silicon than x86. So those two problems feed on each other.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by joema.

Final Cut Pro 10.6.2 Spotted in Benchmark Tests 13 Mar 2022 01:53 #119434

all of that makes sense, also seems to explain why HEVC exports were in line with my expectations. hopefully, it means at some point there be an update that just makes the renders at least faster. sounds like the export cache issues you've been trying to get recognition of will be a harder battle. :/

Final Cut Pro 10.6.2 Spotted in Benchmark Tests 30 Mar 2022 23:46 #119725

were you ever able to figure out exactly which effect in the title stack was causing this?

Final Cut Pro 10.6.2 Spotted in Benchmark Tests 31 Mar 2022 15:12 #119729

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520

were you ever able to figure out exactly which effect in the title stack was causing this?

Unfortunately I'll be working on a different project for at least a week, and cannot continue examination of the above problem until after that. However my testing to date implies many (if not most) of the built-in titles prevent re-use of existing render cache to accelerate export.

To review, there are three separate issues:

1 - Various built-in FCP effects and many (if not most) built-in titles will prevent use of FCP render cache to accelerate export. I suspect this involves the Motion runtime engine which implements these effects and titles.
In this case when the timeline is rendered to cache, the timeline runs smoother, so the cache is properly used for that. However it is not used for export, and all Fx & titles must be recomputed from scratch. This is most apparent if exporting to ProRes 422 on a fast machine with SSD drives. If you are exporting to H264 it may be less obvious since encoding itself can be a bottleneck.

2 - Some combinations of titles or Fx may prevent use of render cache, even to accelerate timeline operations. After background render or manual render to cache via CTRL+R, No render dots appear on the timeline, yet timeline operations are still slow. I have less info about the specifics and it will take more testing to better define this.

3 - Some built-in FCP Fx and titles are significantly slower to render on an M1 Max machine than x86 machines which should be slower than M1 Max. Comparing a 10-core Vega 64 iMac Pro to an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16, this varies by effect. Some effects such as Neat Video render about 2x faster on the M1 Max. This implies some inefficiency or bottleneck in the some Motion-implemented titles and effects which are unique to Apple Silicon.

In general Apple Silicon Macs are fast and overall I'd rather use my M1 Max than the 10-core iMac Pro. However even before Apple Silicon, there have been some long-standing issues with FCP render cache, and now there are apparently some new issues with runtime efficiency of the Motion engine for some tasks, unique to Apple Silicon.

It will be interesting to re-test these cases when FCP 10.6.2 is released.

Final Cut Pro 10.6.2 Spotted in Benchmark Tests 31 Mar 2022 15:19 #119730

yeah, no rush and thanks for your insight on this hoping it will be as easy as removing some element of the title effects to speed things up while we wait for the real fix to #3. :) unfortunately, it's a bit tough for me to test on my end since my old mac is basically decommissioned at this point.

• Page: