fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 10 Jan 2022 09:45 #118359

Oliver Peters looks at how to solve some of Final Cut Pro's professional workflow problems.

Read more...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 10 Jan 2022 18:39 #118360

Excellent, and very helpful ! Thank you !

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 10 Jan 2022 20:08 #118361

Thank you Oliver. Nice to learn every day something new.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 00:39 #118365

Thanks for the tips Oliver!

Last edit: by marconoe.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 00:50 #118366

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 686
Roles based mixing is really a bad workaround. I could never and will never get behind such a sorry excuse for a workaround. Overwhelmingly picture lock does not exist in more of today's work, so you can't wait until that point to do the audio work. A lot of good points here, but it's all workarounds. I love using FCPX, but it is lacking very sorely, and for way too long, in several key areas. But hey, it's perfect for YouTubers (which I'm told is its primary market focus).

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 02:41 #118374

Didn't you want to jump ship last October Ben? Totally understand your standpoint but to say FCP is only for Youtuber's and it shows in the software flys in the face of all professionals using it daily.

I can assure you I do not need any 'workarounds' to do my best work using FCP for the last 10 years :-)

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 05:23 #118377

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
It's not that widely used. And some of us struggle with the workarounds. But glad it works for you. I'm slowly transitioning, too much work to do it overnight.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 13:34 #118381

We’re I to have two FCP wishes they would be for an audio mixer and the ability to import selected portions of a clip rather than the entire clip. I do documentary work with long interviews that might only need 45 seconds of a two hour interview. But still I have to bloat the library with the whole thing, even if I leave the source material in its original location.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 13:59 #118383

I'm glad these tips were helpful. I certainly don't disagree with the criticisms of FCP, but that wasn't the point of the article. It's about working with what you have today. Nevertheless, you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that any software can be improved.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 14:05 #118384

Didn't you want to jump ship last October Ben? Totally understand your standpoint but to say FCP is only for Youtuber's and it shows in the software flys in the face of all professionals using it daily.

I can assure you I do not need any 'workarounds' to do my best work using FCP for the last 10 years :-)

It's not that widely used. And some of us struggle with the workarounds. But glad it works for you. I'm slowly transitioning, too much work to do it overnight.

I remember when I was commenting about FCPX technical issues Ben would always prays FCPX how better it was then other NLEs! lol

Funny...

Audio is still handled as it should in my craft. It is done by the Audio Guys what ever they use.
I agree Audio Editing for YouTube video could be tricky since they might not have access to "Pro" Pipeline.
lol

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 15:25 #118385

Thank you Oliver. Some great ideas that I have not used before.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 11 Jan 2022 17:59 #118386

Thank you Oliver.
Excellent and helpful article

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 01:05 #118389

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
It is a very helpful article, but I've had enough of the cool-aid, trying to justify workarounds are acceptable after all these years. FCP really should be further along than it is. I very firmly believe that.

As for switching in October, I did. The TV station I was VP of production for, I began the switch to Resolve in October. I suddenly found I was leaving the station and my replacement switched it all over to Premier Pro overnight. As he and all the new editors I'd hired (who I had to train in FCP and Resolve) were already very experienced PPro users (and TV editors).

In my independent work I have need to switch more slowly.

I love working in FCP, great media management, magnetic timeline is usually really fast, but after all these years, the fact is that it still lacks very basic tools all other NLEs have that I need. I don't want to leave it, but I'm tired of wasting time with workarounds. I'll be using it for awhile before I'm totally off, but in the meantime, learning Resolve and really liking it.

I can love the NLE, and be super disappointed (and honest about) Apple's lack of development with it at the same time, guys.

If FCP works for you, great, very happy. But there are those of us who expected more of Apple based on their track record, and are disappointed. I don't see how that makes me a hypocrite or a bad person in any way. And yet some here can't accept FCP's shortcomings as actual shortcomings, and that there are folks it doesn't work optimally for. Oh well, not my problem.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 04:01 #118390

Hey Ben, I was only ‘poking the bear’ with the October comment 😉 I have no problem with you deciding that FCP isn’t for you anymore. What I do object too is to use one’s own opinion to generalise for other people whether it is useful and if it is that they can’t be ‘professional’.
I also don’t have a problem with Oliver listing a few Workflows that he finds handy but to title the article in a way to make it sound that because FCP might be lacking them it’s not ‘Pro’ enough I find highly misleading. I as a pro actually don’t miss them and find his Workflows actually too complicated for my own work.
So we should really end this discussion about some function is essential for being able to call yourself professional or the software you use professional. Use what works for you, make suggestions what you think would be cool and if you have the feeling another software works better for you use that 🌈

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 09:13 #118394

Hi Oliver, just a quick question regarding the "flatten Multicam" workaround: does it preserve all resizes/transforms and applied effects?

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 11:28 #118398

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
“What I do object too is to use one’s own opinion to generalise for other people whether it is useful and if it is that they can’t be ‘professional’.“

Neither of which I did.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 13:56 #118401

@sampl_e "does it preserve all resizes/transforms and applied effects?"

I don't know, because I haven't tested that. Sorry.

Last edit: by Oliver Peters.

Making Final Cut More Pro by Oliver Peters 12 Jan 2022 14:15 #118402

@Carsten " but to title the article in a way to make it sound that because FCP might be lacking them it’s not ‘Pro’ enough I find highly misleading"

Haha! Welcome to the internet :) Admittedly it's a bit "click-bait-y" but my intent was more a play on words rather than anything else.

• Page: