fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 19 Aug 2021 19:24 #115855

• peteramwiggins
  • peteramwiggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 400

Adobe has announced it is to acquire Frame.io, the cloud based video collaboration platform.

Read more...
Administrator

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 19 Aug 2021 20:47 #115856

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
Maybe it's concerning that Adobe and not Apple made this move. Although this kind of service is not high on Apple's radar. I'm not sure Adobe is going to be keen on continuing FCP support. Sigh!

Last edit: by cseeman.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 19 Aug 2021 20:49 #115857

I sure hope good folks at Frame.io can continue to serve the FCP community. It has changed my workflow for the better and would hate to lose it. . .

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 19 Aug 2021 21:38 #115858

Apple needs to buy Postlab with Postlab Drive... and maybe Vimeo too!

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 19 Aug 2021 22:07 #115859

From the Frame.io website- "The changes you’ll see will be additive to our existing capabilities; you can expect to see deeper integration with Premiere Pro and other Adobe products. We will also continue our commitment to invest in other partner integrations including Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and AVID Media Composer."

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 00:43 #115860

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64

From the Frame.io website- "The changes you’ll see will be additive to our existing capabilities; you can expect to see deeper integration with Premiere Pro and other Adobe products. We will also continue our commitment to invest in other partner integrations including Final Cut Pro, DaVinci Resolve, and AVID Media Composer."

A promise made to be broken in the future IMHO. It may help them through regulatory approval. Afterward, I wouldn't be surprised if there were higher subscriptions prices for non-Adobe users (who may some level free with Creative Cloud) with Adobe finding it's not worth it to provide support and features to competitors at some point in the future.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 11:51 #115867

Peter - a slight correction. Frame was up and running before there was any FCP integration, IIRC. So it didn't start out based on those tools.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 14:25 #115871

Disappointing news for sure. I am also not confident Adobe will continue to support FCP.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 14:39 #115872

• peteramwiggins
  • peteramwiggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 400
Frame.io as we know it came from ClipExporter that was released a year after FCPX's launch. Was there a service before the integration? Yes for a few months, but the new app that did the hard work.

If you look at GTrends, it wasn't until Summer 2015 when things started to move, which was when ClipExporter got rolled in and then marketed to FCPX users.
Administrator

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 14:52 #115873

Peter, I think you are only talking about the integration. I've been using Frame since nearly the beginning and for us it's always been a review-and-approval site. We have the FCP and Premiere integrations and never use them. However, at that time, the options were Wipster and Frame. Wipster is the engine behind Vimeo's R&A feature, AFAIK.

You are correct in that FCPX integration followed shortly after the launch, but I doubt that was the impetus for creating the service in the first place. Simply that it was an easy integration and a receptive community. But at it's core, Frame is an R&A service that's trying to become something more.

Last edit: by Oliver Peters.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 14:54 #115874

We spent years freeing ourselves from the Adobe claws. We will not go back there. Goodbye frame.IO

I guess it really is a time of enormous change.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 15:46 #115875

But Frame has always been a subscription, so how does this change things? Every R&A service available is a subscription business model. Alternatives include Kollaborate, Vimeo, and Wipster, among others.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 16:57 #115876

Thats really unfortunate, not because I'm overly concerned about FCP support (I don't find the extension to be that great currently, so I use Frame.io web only to begin with)........my bigger concern is just Adobe's track record of buggy, crashy, poorly thought out software.

Hopefully the entire Frame.io team stays on board and keeps developing. And who knows.....perhaps they will shock us all and improve the FCP extension.

It can't get much worse than the PP Frame.io Add On!

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 17:00 #115877

This^^^^^^

Frame.io is Review and Approval by Web. Extensions were an add on that never worked that great to begin with.
Hopefully there won't be any actual cross over with Adobe.....they just own it and fund it but hoping the Web interface stays as its own entity.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 20 Aug 2021 17:15 #115878

This was to be expected. Fame.io was already acquired by venture capitalists. Once that happens, you can expect a fast sale-out of the company for short-term profits. The product and the people become irrelevant at that stage. VC is a sick world.

It doesn't really matter anyway. It's just a Review and Approval app and there are many of these on the market. If you cannot live without it, keep using it. If you object to the acquisition for some personal reason, use something else. Much to do about nothing.

- Ronny

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 21 Aug 2021 13:33 #115897

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 671
blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2021/08/19/ado...meio.html#gs.8wg88x…

Zero mention of support for other NLE's, sounds like they'll super-charge their own apps to integrate with Frame.io but not other NLEs. Even if they maintain support for other NLEs, I'm sure PPro will outshine being Adobe and the "owner".

I know Patrick is on Twitter claiming over and over and over they are committed to continuing support for FCP and Resolve, etc. But, once the sale is final, it won't be his decision anymore. Not to mention how really horribly bad the plug-ins were for FCP which never worked correctly.

Yeah, not an Adobe fan, we've seen what Adobe does with acquisitions before. But more importantly, look at this and other recent news from Adobe, and from Resolve (BMD), and you'll see Apple is letting FCP fall further and further behind. That's the reality, not an opinion.

Good bye Frame.io, it was a bumpy, buggy, half-working ride anyway.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 21 Aug 2021 13:45 #115901

The proof will be in the pudding. Past acquisitions have varied in their Adobe evolution, depending on how successful the previous company was prior to acquisition by Adobe. Sample of previous examples:

CoSA (After Effects)
CoolEdit Pro (Audition)
Iridas (SpeedGrade, then just Lumetri)
Behance

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 22 Aug 2021 10:17 #115920

It would have been better someone that understands Workflow would have picked up frame.io like blackmagic Design.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 22 Aug 2021 13:59 #115923

Edited - see below

Last edit: by Oliver Peters.

Adobe to Acquire Frame.io 22 Aug 2021 14:00 #115924

Scrubelicious: "It would have been better someone that understands Workflow would have picked up frame.io like blackmagic Design."

That's not how these things works. Blackmagic only has bought companies that had great IP, but were no longer very successful in the marketplace. IOW, they could acquire the assets on the cheap.

If you are worried about how Adobe handles it going forward, remember that when Blackmagic originally purchased the assets of DaVinci, they promptly cancelled all existing support contracts and stopped all of the existing hardware production. As parts inventories dwindled, customers were SOL. Quite frankly I was surprised the many of the high-end customers even continued using Resolve.

Another point of interest is that Resolve was not the dominant DaVinci product at the time. But it was the only resolution-independent, software-based, color correction product that DaVinci had, and therefore, easier for Blackmagic to adapt. Shops that had rooms based on DaVinci 2K were simply set adrift.[/quote]

• Page: