fbpx
fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 14 May 2021 13:04 #114500

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 673
I've given FCP until October, and if I'm still not confident in its future, I am moving my personal studio, and our whole TV station to DaVinci Resolve and Fusion.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 14 May 2021 13:12 #114503

Why october ? just wondering....

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 14 May 2021 18:14 #114505

• PaulG
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 26
As much as I love FCPX (or should I just drop the X, once and for all?), Resolve is a better tool for VFX workflows involving feature level color management especially with log and linear transforms, LUTs and exotic file formats. But FCP is still my go-to for straight editing. I much prefer the favoriting, keywording and magnetic timeline of FCP to Resolve's awkward Cut page or warmed-over FCP7-style Edit page. I often use FCP for less complex compositing instead of AE or Motion, but it could still use some love in that area. That said, the few things I really wish FCP would implement:

• Native BRAW support for BMD cameras
• Image sequence support (PNG, DPX, CR2 etc.) for time-lapse and animation workflows
• More robust key framing interface
• Motion tracking (both planar and 3D)
• Support for vector file formats like SVG, PDF, AI with continuous rasterization (there's a Motion hack, but it's a PIA)
• Better mixing tools and LUFS support
• Native AAF support for export to ProTools
• An inquisitive Paper Clip character who sits on your screen and offers editing suggestions (just kidding!)

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 14 May 2021 23:21 #114508

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com

Why october ? just wondering....

It is significant to some major overhauls going on at the TV station I run production for. Plus, it marks a very significant amount of time that FCP will have been unacceptably stagnant.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 15 May 2021 14:16 #114512

Audio mixing. I can do it in FCPX but it would prefer getting back some of that we had in FC7 for audio; Recording level changes in real time. As an audio mixer for 40 years my personal wish would be audio level control from external hardware faders. So many audio/video editors allow that. Coupled with memorizing level changes on the fly would be great. Just my personal wish.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 15 May 2021 15:55 #114513

Of course I agree with all the suggestions but I can’t help but feel the race for ‘industry acceptance’ is lost.
Our workplace allows editors use what they want. 4 years ago we had almost everyone using FCP. But they’ve all drifted back to Premier for 2 reasons.
First, After Effects round tripping. FCP needs to do this to even be in the game at this point… but they won’t even allow it to Motion! And if they relent and add round tripping to Motion it won’t make a lick of difference. AE is ‘it’ for better or worse. There are utilities and engineered workarounds … but no editor wants the extra steps or fiddling required when Premiere just does it.
Second, Audio handling. Trackless audio is great when editing but a PIA when mixing and processing. I can get editors to assign Roles with a lot of cajoling but after that having them deal with the Role/AU role display options, then compounding to get buss/track control … then sometimes compounding again… and then having to backtrack through these structures to make changes? Lol.
I think there should be some kind of Roles to Tracks modal switch to make final mixing more accessible. I’ve worked hard to integrate the FCP method into my workflow but it’s a kludge at best. When I sometimes move a mix to A DAW there’s always a sense of relief…. ‘Ah, I can see what’s going on now’.
Without those 2 things FCP will be great idea that people use on their way to an inferior product that at least has less friction in a couple of critical places. Trouble is it’s been TEN years. It’s not going to happen is it?

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 18 May 2021 19:28 #114549

Hopefully at some point in the next decade we get braw support. This will mean me and my company can start using it again, although I would now find it hard to give up parts of Resolve (especially for audio)...

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 19 May 2021 13:35 #114561

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 20 May 2021 17:42 #114570

Longtime reader, first time poster...

I have to say this thread is such a fresh breath of air for me.
I've only been editing video professionally for about 2 years, but have been a professional audio engineer/mixer for over 20 yrs. When I decided to add video shooting and editing a couple years ago, FCPX was the first NLE on my list to try. I sincerely wish I'd started with Resolve instead for a couple of reasons, but the primary one is audio handling. It still just blows me away that FCPX is so primitive and limited in its audio handling and workflow. I've used several DAWs over the years, so granted, a track-based workflow naturally resonates with me more than it would with someone coming to the editing world with no media editing experience before. I really wish FCPX would take some lessons from Logic Pro, honestly.

That's kind of what kills me: If Apple were dedicated to doing so, they could build a fantastic media editing ecosystem by integrating the pieces they already have, and making everything seamless.

My wife and I do video/film work together, so I learned FCPX and then taught her the basics. It would be a difficult process (to say the least) to switch our workflow over to Resolve at this time. I'm stuck with FCPX for the foreseeable future. I hope Apple chooses to advance the program.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 20 May 2021 20:14 #114573

Well I wouldn't despair! FCP still provides the least amount of 'friction' for editing video. No question about it. It also beats the pants off everything else performance wise... and if you don't think thats not a big issue just wait until you have to wait for another NLE while spends 20 minutes to load a project or render something!
FCP audio has some shortfalls .... not the editing ... but mixing is not enjoyable. However smart use of Roles/Subroles will keep your audio clips managed until you need to display them grouped together, then compound to generate 'stems'. I agree its not in anyway intuitive for anyone. The audio plug ins in FCP aren't too bad. They are what you get in Logic and I've really only had to add extra Noise Reduction tools.
If you want to 'step' up and move your mix to a track based audio DAW then "X2PproAudioConvert" in the App Store will get you an AFF file to take into a number of capable audio apps... CubasePro, Nuendo( works great ), Protools ... or you can send your FCP Project to Logic ( with mixed results ) .
And if you want to move to another NLE then everything you learned it FCP will come over and be useful.
All NLE's are similar at the core ... gather media, organize it, mark the good bits, drop them in a timeline trim, tweak color and audio levels, export. 85% of the job is the same. Most of the tools & processing between apps are similar enough to be recognizable and usable. Some just have more or less focus in different areas of the production process. One thing is certain ... you audience wont care what you used!

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 24 May 2021 14:27 #114640

Well I wouldn't despair! FCP still provides the least amount of 'friction' for editing video. No question about it. It also beats the pants off everything else performance wise... and if you don't think thats not a big issue just wait until you have to wait for another NLE while spends 20 minutes to load a project or render something!
FCP audio has some shortfalls .... not the editing ... but mixing is not enjoyable. However smart use of Roles/Subroles will keep your audio clips managed until you need to display them grouped together, then compound to generate 'stems'. I agree its not in anyway intuitive for anyone. The audio plug ins in FCP aren't too bad. They are what you get in Logic and I've really only had to add extra Noise Reduction tools.
If you want to 'step' up and move your mix to a track based audio DAW then "X2PproAudioConvert" in the App Store will get you an AFF file to take into a number of capable audio apps... CubasePro, Nuendo( works great ), Protools ... or you can send your FCP Project to Logic ( with mixed results ) .
And if you want to move to another NLE then everything you learned it FCP will come over and be useful.
All NLE's are similar at the core ... gather media, organize it, mark the good bits, drop them in a timeline trim, tweak color and audio levels, export. 85% of the job is the same. Most of the tools & processing between apps are similar enough to be recognizable and usable. Some just have more or less focus in different areas of the production process. One thing is certain ... you audience wont care what you used!

I hear you on all those fronts. And yes, of course you're correct re: FCP's performance in general (esp. compared to something like Premiere). But as a professional audio engineer/producer since 1995, some of the audio shortcomings in FCP are simply mind-boggling to me. Even if Apple just gave us a 2-bus where we could apply plugins, it would be such a tremendous time saver. I already use roles and compound clips for audio, but these are really just workarounds, not solid solutions. A 2-bus (stereo bus) where one could apply a multimeter and/or loudness meter as well as a final brickwall limiter to catch any problems would be a godsend. Having each audio role flow to its own bus where one could apply plugins to that bus (without having to do all the silly compound clips) would be even better. And being able to fully render audio plugins to a clip? That would be a welcome addition, as well.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 25 May 2021 09:56 #114650

Hmm… just to throw my hat into this debate:

I see 3 levels of users:
Hollywood (… self explanatory)
Professionals (FC for a living)
Enthusiastic hobbyists (me, me, me!!)

Therefor, 3 levels of wish-lists:
e.g. support of $$$$cameras
faster workflows (e.g. audio processing without bouncing to other apps)
‚new‘ features every 6 months…. (The Motion/plug-in integration is awesome!!! - says a plug-in-maker)

… where on these 3 levels is FinalCut?
By history, obsolete FC was THE movie-makers edit.app; FCPX was no replacement (10y ago!!)
Professional users (wedding videographers, local broadcasters, travel bloggers, documentarists et al) have special needs, Apple should listen to, +3mio seats are no small market)
… and hobbyists like me would switch within blink of an eye to iMovie, IF it would offer plug-in-integration (my own, Motion-made screen-designs) and more ‚AI‘-stuff (a working color-matching/pics from different cameras, a working auto-key-wording like iPhoto has for years…)

Hollywood is a nice2have niche, and we hobbyists are spoiled by ‚free’ apps.
Sooo - Apple should listen to his pro-users. And a fast&easy way to handle audio is a first step.

Who thought of, 10y ago, on what level for professionalism things are produced nowadays - on a kitchen table?

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 05 Jun 2021 11:52 #114853

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Nice list update here;
fcpx.tv/wwdcandfcp.html

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 06 Jun 2021 10:51 #114864

My predictions:

FCP 11
Lots of the technologies Apple have developed in AR etc on their own silicon will make it into FCP. And thus only be supported on Macs using Apple Silicon. I guess they slowed new functions down to make it compatible with Apple Silicon... now that that's done I think there's gonna be a new burst of updated once there are more pro-lever Apple Silicon Macs... Next bigger update probably gonna be the last that work on Intel Macs.

My personal wishes:
•Fix the Multicam bugs!
•Some sort of built in adjustment layer that integrates better with previews etc
•Some sort of audio improvement, don't need much but being able to but some mastering/limiter like effects on the master out would be nice.
•MOTION TRACKING/Face tracking etc! At least some 'Match Move' function from Motion 5.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 06 Jun 2021 15:07 #114867

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
You mean besides the Match Move that is already in Motion 5?

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 06 Jun 2021 18:53 #114870

• cv21
  • Thank you received: 17
I use FCP in a simple way for an average of two news type videos per day.

I insist on its qualities which still seduce me:
- fewer preset and export errors than FCP7
- integration of graphic charts (from Motion with menus, top!)
- few bugs.

I would like :
- to be able to choose once and for all the columns of the media browser by default
- to be able to memorize once and for all personal roles/colors (interview, ambiance).
- a more visible match frame in thumbnail mode
- activate an automatic loudness for itw, comments (a bit like the hindenburg software)
- a simple tracker without plug-in
- like on FCP 7, indicate duplicates in the timeline
- personally, a checkbox for mono listening in the interface
- personally, a mixer by roles for audio effects ?
- as an option, the possibility to better "see" the sound (not only a vu-metre)

Not needed, but seems necessary:
- some users are lost when importing HDR images from their iPhone12
- Dolby Vision ok, but where is the interface (like Logic Pro)
- a complex tracker

Otherwise journalists have been using FPC for years without knowing what a role is...Sorry for bad english

Last edit: by cv21.

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 06 Jun 2021 20:40 #114871

You mean besides the Match Move that is already in Motion 5?
Yes, I want access to it in FCP! :)

Final Cut Pro - The Next Ten Years 10 Jun 2021 21:38 #114954

We absolutely need a native BRAW support for BMD cameras > many BMD cameras users are switching to Davinci because of the messy workflow that this format requires while using FCP as your main NLE.

Image sequence support (PNG, DPX, CR2)

• Page: