fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...

TOPIC:

IS FCPX dead? 03 May 2023 19:24 #125226

• alex4D
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 256
Note that their recent track record means that it is likely Apple will remain silent… and release an update.

A sign that Final Cut Pro isn’t dead. But I have a feeling that fans will still pronounce the death of Final Cut.

My temporary policy is to be nice and positive. So, that’s all for now.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

IS FCPX dead? 04 May 2023 13:46 #125237

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 694

Appleinsider.com is reporting that a leaker states that Apple is developing FCP for the iPad to be released in 2024. If true, and that is a big IF, that would also explain the near absence of any updates.

If that is true and it's full featured, that would possibly require a rewrite using Swift and SwiftUI. As part of that rewrite they might redesign the current app frameworks and the associated object model. They need a lot more multithread parallelism on the key tasks. Right now the UI thread is frequently overloaded.

By contrast, DaVinci Resolve is written in C++ and uses the Qt cross-platform framework. That is how they achieve cross-platform products. The Qt framework requires C++. OTOH Resolve can also be sluggish on some large timeline drag-and-drop operations, just less so than FCP.

Apple will never change to a C++ codebase. They will more likely rewrite FCP in Swift and use Swift UI to achieve a mostly-common UI codebase between the desktop and iPadOS version of FCP. As part of that rewrite, they might change from Grand Central Dispatch to Swift Concurrency, also examine the FCP object model and frameworks (TLKit, Flexo, etc) to improve multithread parallelism.

According to the rumor, their goal is porting FCP to iPadOS. But given the age of the Objective-C codebase and issues with the data model and object model, they likely need to do a lot more. If they just wanted a quick-and-dirty reduced-functionality port to iPadOS, they could have already done that.

IS FCPX dead? 04 May 2023 14:10 #125239

Joe, if Apple did employ all of these code changes would it be likely too that they change to something other SQLite for performance gains (assuming Core Data will support something different) or is that not necessarily needed? Just curious.

IS FCPX dead? 04 May 2023 14:52 #125240

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 694
Tangier, that is a good question. In the Instruments traces I have studied, SQLite is not the main problem. Rather it is the UI thread getting bogged down in all kinds of computation when handling a very complex timeline. E.g, it gets into deeply recursive calls in the FCP private framework TLKit (TimeLine Kit), which then calls the MacOS framework Core Animation many times.

I was suspicious about SQLite but that does not currently seem the main problem area. However SQLite is not designed for collaborative use, so maybe for non-performance reasons they will change that.

Using terminal, there is a method to log what SQL statements FCP sends to SQLite (use at your own risk):

defaults write com.apple.FinalCut com.apple.CoreData.SQLDebug 1 (use 0 to turn off)

Terminal command to actually write the above-enabled SQL statements to the MacOS system log:

defaults write com.apple.FinalCut com.apple.CoreData.Logging.os_log 1 (use 0 to turn off)

To monitor the SQL commands in real time to a terminal window, assuming FCP PID is 5559:

First obtain PID of Final Cut Pro. Either look on CPU tab of Activity Monitor or use this terminal command:

pgrep -x "Final Cut Pro"

Terminal command to log to a terminal window in real time the debug and informational messages from FCP (assuming PID is 5559; use PID you obtained above). To abort that just type CTRL+C in that window.

log stream --process 5559

Last edit: by joema.

IS FCPX dead? 05 May 2023 13:00 #125251

This is all the evidence you need that FCP is dead and does not matter to Apple anymore…

2Q 2023 financial results:
Services revenue $20.9 billion
iPhone revenue $51.3 billion

At the bottom, the pro Macs revenue declined dramatically and continues to nose dive. There is simply little reason for Apple to put any resources into the pro apps. Would make more sense for Apple to kill of the pro apps and pro machines. They don’t need the pro products to be “halo” products anymore. This is the downside to an enormously profitable Apple. Why keep developing products that don’t make financial sense and contribute very little to the bottom line?

IS FCPX dead? 05 May 2023 13:53 #125256

• cseeman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
MidNorth, that's an oversimplification of stats. How many iPhone users also have Macs so as to have an easier ecosystem? It's entirely possible that people are updating their iPhones but holding on to older Macs. Yet if Apple dropped Macs how much more open would people be to switching to Android and Windows computers? Keep in mind that, unlike Resolve (or Premiere or CapCut, etc) users, the ProApps is Mac only. It may well be that iPhones encourage people to continue to use Macs even if they've become slower to upgrade those Macs to newer models.

The unanswered question is that does support FCP limits the bleed-off to Windows. All other NLEs keep that door open?

Will a bleed-off to Windows also result in opening the door to a transition to Android? Also, keep in mind that people upgrade their phones far more frequently than their computers and it would only take 2 years for iPhone sales to crash and burn Apple if you opened the door to Android switching.

IS FCPX dead? 05 May 2023 14:51 #125257

• ltf3
  • Thank you received: 5
I don’t think “dead” is the correct term to use. Way too extreme.

For what it’s worth ( nothing ) I see FCP /Motion gravitating towards the status of the Apple Productivity trio Pages, Numbers and Keynote. All three are wonderful takes on what they do , but theres’ zero possibility of running an enterprise level administration with them. Perhaps with enough effort you *could*, but why would you even try? There are solutions out there that *will* work.

So perhaps the Apple creative trio FCP/Compressor/Motion will find themselves lined up along side the other three as valued add propositions for hardware purchases. Apple just isn’t interested in developing “industry standards “. If FCP shows up on iPad I think that will say it all!

That’s said I prefer the Apple tools in every case! And in particular I love FCP… but these days I see significantly more development in Pages/Numbers / Keynote than FCP….

IS FCPX dead? 05 May 2023 16:00 #125259

that's an oversimplification of stats. How many iPhone users also have Macs so as to have an easier ecosystem? It's entirely possible that people are updating their iPhones but holding on to older Macs. Yet if Apple dropped Macs how much more open would people be to switching to Android and Windows computers?

Oversimplification, correct. And a bit pessimistic. But the numbers don't lie. Apple don't really need the pro apps or the pro Macs. Their best selling computers/tablets are the basic non-pro Macs and the iPads. The impact of pros switching to Windows or other NLEs would be minimal on their bottom line. The Mac Pro holds a lesson. They could have released an Apple silicon Mac Pro to replace the obsolete Intel version, but they see no need to because it's a low margin product in Apple's ecosystem of products and services. Despite the rumors, the Mac Pro as the ultimate machine for creatives, will not be long for this world. If there's a replacement it will be a lesser machine, with few or no options for upgrades

I second @ ltf3 ...at best the pro apps will eventually join the Apple suite of productivity apps. They will be good enough, but pro editors, animators, graphic designers and others needing heavy duty pro apps and workstations -- sad as it sounds -- will need to look to third parties to meet their needs..

IS FCPX dead? 06 May 2023 00:01 #125266

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 99
"What is dead, Alex."

Sorry, Owen, the answer we're looking for is necrotic, as in having to do with necrosis.

Last edit: by VTC.

IS FCPX dead? 10 May 2023 04:28 #125375

• JeremyG
  • JeremyG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
FCP is now on the iPad. I guess this is the moment we have all been waiting for.

Let's see where it goes, I guess.