I have some good news and some frustrating news, AND some more questions as I've run into a snag. Hopefully you can help.
I was able to digitize all of the Hi8 tapes with no problem, saving each tape as an archive, and they look good and now I can edit them and export them however I want. Awesome. However...
The MiniDV tapes are not working right. Here's the specifics:
1) All of the footage on the DVX-100A was shot in 24p.
2) I plug the DVX-100A in the Mac via the same DV cable and adapters and FCP X sees the camera no problem.
3) I click on Import - I try to create a camera archive OR just import the footage and there are two main problems.
A) It's only importing the footage at 29.97
It's making hundreds of individual files and even if were to drop them all onto a timeline and export them as one movie, there are frame drops / skips on every individual file, so they don't line up. I imagine the frame rate discrepancy is causing this.
4) FCP X has apparently gotten rid of the option to tell it what frame rate you're ingesting and to tell it to ignore drop frames, so no luck there.
I've tried importing the footage via Quicktime, via FCP X, nothing works. So...
5) I then thought maybe I'd use FCP 7, and installed the OS in parallels, and when I went to install FCP 7, it says I don't have the right hardware (Parallels is using the VRAM, etc.).
6) Before I go down a whole road of wiping my older MacMini and installing Sierra on it, then installing FCP 7, hoping it works, and trying to digitize the footage there, I wanted to find out if there is another way to do this and one that is a lot easier.
7) I did try to make a USB installer of Sierra, and for whatever reason, it won't work, so I don't know if I even can get it as the main OS on my MacMini.
I have about 100 to 120 MiniDV tapes, most of which were shot on the DVX-100A, and most of
which, if not all, was shot in 24p. I know there HAS to be way to get this footage into my
computer, but I am at a loss.
Would LOVE some help from you all. If I have to buy a piece of kit to do this, I can try that, I just want it to work.
Thank you again!