fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 04:19 #123129

• Smesh
  • Smesh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Anyone have a clue what's going on? I am having annoying issues when trying to playback Canon c500ii Multicam footage on the timeline. It's 10 bit MXF. Latest version of FCPX (10.6.5) and last Monterey v12.6.1.

I press the spacebar to play and there is a serious lag before it starts. Beachball for almost 3 seconds.
  1. I plugged in the Mac keyboard to see if was bluetooth lag. Nope. Still there.
  2. I created prores proxy files at 50% for the interviews to test. Set to prefer proxy, then proxy only. No change.
  3. Restarted a few times, no change.
MBP specs: M1 Max, 10 Core, 32 GPU, 64 GB, 8 TB SSD. The SSD has 3TB available.

Ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Smesh.

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 15:46 #123135

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587
I haven't seen this but we recently had a report of similar behavior that was traced to a slow external mechanical drive: fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/3746...nal-cut-pro-x-10-6-5

Besides that, a common cause is poorly-behaved 3rd-party plugins. The last post by HoneyBadger in the above thread has some troubleshooting suggestions on that.

In general recurring beachballs are not normal. That is not a "busy" indicator like a progress bar. It means the FCP UI thread cannot update the app window for several seconds because something inside the process is interfering.

Normally the FCP UI thread does not block or enter a sustained CPU-intensive path, rather that is delegated to worker threads. In that case the app may be sluggish but the app cursor is normal and you don't see a beachball. If the FCP app cannot update the UI for several seconds, the MacOS Windows Manager notices that and changes the cursor to a beachball to indicate a problem.

As mentioned in the above thread, you could try duplicating the project, opening that timeline, selecting all clips with CMD+A then removing all effects with Edit>Remove Effects. Then try to edit the project and see if the beachball still happens. If so that could indicate an effect problem which you could narrow down. However as mentioned by HoneyBadger, sometimes 3rd-party effects can cause problems simply by being installed.

I don't know the current status of the Chrome browser causing problems, but you could try not running that. It has a history of misusing the MacOS VideoToolBox framework causing FCP to hang.

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 17:22 #123141

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Hi Joe.

First off, thank you for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

This project is so fresh that I've only just organized the files and started cutting the first Multicam interview. No effects or attributes have been applied. FCPX had automatically applied the Canon Clog 2 out to the footage and I changed the 8 interview clips to Arri in the inspector, but switched it back with no effect.

The only thing I can think of is I foolishly installed a mega pack of LenoFX plugins I bought about a year ago. There were a ton of them, but that install was done well over a week ago, and up until a few days ago, this footage was playing back fine. It's only now that I finally have time to dive in that it started to act weird.

To further trouble shoot, I moved all of the LenoFX plugins out of the motion folder, but several of them have quite an invasive install, and I cannot find any files outside of motion, even though I am sure there are some.

I deleted Color finale pro app, since that app has caused me all kinds of problems in the past on other computers and although the app was up to date, I was not sure if it was in fact playing well with the latest version of FCPX.

I removed the pixel films studios tracking suite. It was one of the last plugins I installed after they updated it for M1 and I thought I might use it, but again, I think I imported and organized the footage after that and it had been playing fine. To be safe, I uninstalled all that.

I'm at wits end now. It is very hard to edit at all right now because of the crazy lag. I am going to call apple support shortly but I am at a loss and doubt they can help.

I have NOT uninstalled chrome now, but that is another step. I'm not using it while running FCPX and safari the default browser, but it might be wise to get rid of it altogether.

I'm not sure what else I can do other than resinstall the entire system, and that will take a LONG time. Ugh.
Attachments:

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 17:36 #123142

• DaveM
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Have you tried rebooting in safe mode, then restarting? Starting up in safe mode performs some important system maintenance. In addition, you might as well reset the MBP's' SMC and PRAM/NVRAM.

What external devices are connected? Have you tried disconnecting any external drives, monitors, etc. to see if this helps?

After rebooting, you might try to only have FCP running (no Safari, etc.).

How about trying to simplify the project (in a new Library) as much as possible to see if things improve. Or, create a new Library (maybe under a new user account) and create a very simple test case.

You could delete any generated media in case some files are corrupt.

Plenty of other things to check, as well (if needed)...

Last edit: by DaveM.

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 17:44 #123143

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587
There should be ways to manually remove each plugin. Sometimes the plugin providers have documented removal apps, somethings they suggest a manual method, sometimes they have an undocumented removal utility you must get from them after contacting their support people. You will need to do that for each group of plugins: LenoFX, Color Finale Pro, Pixel Film Studios, etc.

Another approach is take your multicam scenario, trim that down to a smaller dataset which still reproduces the problem. Then you could send that to me and I could test on my M1 Max MacBook Pro 16 and M1 Ultra Mac Studio. That would rule in or out whether it is some "residue" from a plugin or something else. This is a write-only DropBox link you could put them in: www.dropbox.com/request/sbw0JuycBx7AYCCAe1GJ

On the previous thread, Honeybadger mentioned some troubleshooting procedures and utilities for tracking down problems with plugins: #123064

The FCP plugin ecosystem has advantages and is beneficial for both the plugin developer community and FCP end users. However Apple's plugin architecture can create lots of problems due to lack of standardization about removing/installing, no supported way for a "safe mode" to fully disable plugins, and no standardized way to check plugin version numbers. Template-based plugins tend to be more reliable, but code-based plugins like Color Finale Pro can destabilize FCP. The new FxPlug 4 framework is intended to improve that but apparently there is still progress to be made.

Playback Lag with XMF files and Maxed out M1 Max MBP w/8TB drive, Even Proxy. 01 Dec 2022 18:32 #123144

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Okay. I figured it out with FCPX support. First he told me I had to pull everything gin from the camera cards or XMF would not play right. Ummm....no. Interestingly, there was no lag playing back the Multicam clip in the browser.

So we created a new project and copied and pasted the files into the new project. Still had lag.

Next, I created a new project tried some of the other MXF files no lag. So then went back to Multicam clip instead of copying and pasting, I selected new portions of the MC clip in the browser, stopped in the timeline and Wa LA! Problem fixed. Not sure what the hell was going on, but thankfully all of the clips have been favorite so I should be able to recreate the timeline that way without losing all of my work. Just the entire day of deleting all the plugins and preferences, plists and such. Lol.

Thanks guys. So for anyone searching, there is something I did not try that works.

• Page: