fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Editing Canon Cinestyle in FCPX? 27 Nov 2022 06:18 #123081

Hi I am using FCPX 10.5.4 and am revisiting a project I started 2 years ago. I have cinestyle footage from a Canon EOS 6D. I have already done the video editing and now am trying to do color adjustments, but haven't applied a LUT. I see under the info tab in upper right in FCPX that there is an available camera LUT called Canon Log. Is that what I should choose?

Curious what you all suggest.

thanks,
Brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Editing Canon Cinestyle in FCPX? 27 Nov 2022 11:26 #123082

Cinestyle and C-Log are totally different. You should find LUTs for Cinestyle in google. I don't remember if there is an official one.

Editing Canon Cinestyle in FCPX? 27 Nov 2022 17:42 #123084

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 289
There is an actual Cinestyle LUT provided by Technicolor, and there is a Cinestyle Picture Profile that you load into your Canon camera to shoot with. Footage shot with the Cinestyle Picture file can then be post processed with the Cinestyle LUT. You will need to clarify what your original footage is and what picture profile you shot it with first. Optionally, you don't even require the LUT and can simply grade the footage using FCP's color controls if you have knowledge of how to do that. Here is some information on the Technicolor Cinestyle Picture profile. It's free but as I recall you may need to register or sign up to obtain it.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Creating history....one edit at a time !
Attachments:

Last edit: by dgwvideo.

Editing Canon Cinestyle in FCPX? 28 Nov 2022 07:40 #123091

I didn't shoot the footage, but the files I have from the videographer show HD 1-1-1 as color profile in FCP. Not sure if that is just something FCP adds once a ProRes project is created, or if that truly was the color profile. I recall the videographer telling me it was cinestyle, but applying that LUT in FCP results (in case of low lit shots) in very bizarre images, ultra-saturated, horrendous looking. The Canon Log LUT produces far more natural looking results. But in general, I have realized that adjusting manually is more sensible, so trying to figure out among ColorBoard, ColorWheel, Hue/Saturation Curves a sensible workflow.

Editing Canon Cinestyle in FCPX? 28 Nov 2022 18:28 #123098

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 289
The HD 1-1-1 is a metadata tag for the color space of the video. Basically it indicates Rec-709 as opposed to a wide gamut or standard def profile. The list of typical codes is this:

The metadata tag consists of three numbers, which refer to standard color spaces. Here are the correct codes for the standard formats:

1-1-1: Rec. 709 (HD)

9-16-9: Rec. 2020 PQ

9-16-9: Rec. 2020 HLG

9-1-9: Rec. 2020 SDR

5-1-6: PAL SD

6-1-6: NTSC SD

Once your clip is properly graded for normal exposure levels, then the LUT gets applied. You may be noticing oversaturated or unpleasing results because the clip is not manually corrected prior to applying the LUT. Either way, you are probably better off in this case to do all of the color grading yourself. Workflows vary, but there are some simple best practices - starting with basic exposure corrections before grading a specific "look". Check out the Ripple Training website for some free tutorials on color grading in FCP, and then some of their better advanced courses you may want to purchase,
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Last edit: by dgwvideo.
  • Page: