fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 25 Nov 2022 01:04 #123044

• Smesh
  • Smesh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
One of you recommended I use Edit Ready so bought it and have been trying to do a passthrough from the card folder to an edit ready folder for importing. Problem is that even though I have it set to passthrough, Edit Ready is converting it to a .MOV file. It shows as CRM in "Get Info" but I cannot import the files into FCPX at all. They are greyed out. There is no option to preview (play) the files in edit ready either before executing the passthrough. Is Edit Ready not compatible with Canon RAW or Red Raw? Are we forced to convert to Prores or DNxHD? I notice there is no ability to convert to CDNG either, which would be better for Prores Raw when coloring in Resolve.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 25 Nov 2022 02:23 #123047

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Don't know about Canon Raw but Edit Ready plays video. Hit the triangle to the right of the flag. (Post a tiny file and I'll take a run at it to see what the roadblock might be.)
Attachments:

Last edit: by VTC.

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 25 Nov 2022 02:34 #123048

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks but I'm going to just put the app away. I can open a preview for the Raw files but I haver to use key commands (Command 3). Double clicking does not work. I tested on some BTS footage that ended up in RAW and while I could add a LUT option, clicking the LUT source folder does not work and nothing I do allows me to choose one. Interestingly, if I use Command 3 to preview, I can select a LUT folder and LUT, but when I do so the preview goes black and nothing plays. Clearly Edit Ready is not not useful for Canon RAW. I did use to it convert some Prores Raw footage from the DJI X7 to Prores 4444, but it's pretty useless for everything else I have and the way I work. Pretty much explains why there is so little about it and no updates on YouTube or people talking about it for 6+ years. Thanks.

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 25 Nov 2022 02:37 #123049

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 99
You might want to look on the Canon website in the downloads for your camera. There is "Canon RAW plugin for Final Cut Pro", which allows you to process and import Canon RAW files. There is also "Cinema RAW Development for macOS", which you can use to process and transcode Canon RAW files.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 25 Nov 2022 02:41 #123050

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
No problem importing to FCPX. Was just trying to use editready for some of the other functions. For example, all of our BTS was supposed to be shot in XAVC Rec 709 with LUT applied. But cam op just shot everything in RAW. I would love to be able to use edit ready to fix that using batch processing to add a LUT and compress to pores or h264, but cannot.

Edit Ready and Canon Raw 01 Dec 2022 15:13 #123132

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 576

One of you recommended I use Edit Ready so bought it and have been trying to do a passthrough from the card folder to an edit ready folder for importing. Problem is that even though I have it set to passthrough, Edit Ready is converting it to a .MOV file. It shows as CRM in "Get Info" but I cannot import the files into FCPX at all. They are greyed out. There is no option to preview (play) the files in edit ready either before executing the passthrough. Is Edit Ready not compatible with Canon RAW or Red Raw? Are we forced to convert to Prores or DNxHD? I notice there is no ability to convert to CDNG either, which would be better for Prores Raw when coloring in Resolve.

Sorry about the problems. I just tested 6k and 8k REDRAW from a Komodo and V-Raptor in EditReady 22.3.3, and it transcodes to H264 or ProRes 4444 fine. Normally you want something like ProRes 4444, else why shoot RAW. In general you cannot "passthrough" any RAW codec from any manufacturer using any software.

Re transcoding from RAW to H264 with color conversion (say to Rec.709), that works fine on RED RAW. I just tested that with 6k material from a Komodo and 8k from a V-Raptor. That's a common reason people would use a LUT but with color space conversion you don't need it for that case.

Re using a LUT with RAW material, that also works OK in EditReady with RED RAW. I just tried applying a RED IPP2 LUT in EditReady to 8k V-Raptor material and transcoded it to H264, and that worked fine.

Re playing or previewing the RAW file in EditReady, that works for RED RAW. I don't have any Canon RAW material to test. If you can upload some of that to DropBox I'll be happy to examine it.

Platform details: M1 Ultra Mac Studio, Monterey 12.6.1, FCP 10.6.5, Apple Pro Video Formats 2.2.4, Apple RED Workflow ver. 20.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: