fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 16:23 #123018

• Smesh
  • Smesh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
So I purchased a new maxed out MBP with 8TB SSD so I could edit projects without external drive. I just finished shooting a large corporate project with four days of shooting and each day copied the cards with all the structure and metadata to the internal drive. FCPX will not allow me to "leave the files in place."

The other interesting thing is that in the import window, the directory tree is gone. Notice in the finder, you see all the folders and metadata, but in fcpx it just ignores those and finds the camera files.

Any idea why or how to get around this? It's so annoying.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 18:43 #123019

Have you tried dragging the media into an event, not using the import dialog? This works for our Sony FX6 media to reference it in place. Don't know if it will work for Canon media.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 19:00 #123020

You can never leave files in place when they’re inside a camera card structure, just as an original card. The application doesn’t allow it. Use EditReady to prepare the files for import.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 19:10 #123021

Tom, we use ShotPut Pro to duplicate the FX6 card media (the parent folder, so the card structure remains intact) onto a HD, then drag that folder into an event. FCP complains that there are unsupported XML files but imports the media by referencing them in place. If I use the import dialog, it rewraps them into the library. Is this different than what you're describing?

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 20:25 #123022

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

You can never leave files in place when they’re inside a camera card structure, just as an original card. The application doesn’t allow it. Use EditReady to prepare the files for import.

Ah yes. So I had issues with FX9 and A7S III footage in the past without the file structure, but now tested importing the canon and red footage OUTSIDE of the folder structure and it allows me to do so. My computer is powerful enough to edit without proxies, so why would I want to use editready? I used it some years ago but I don't understand its relevance today unless batch converting for some specific use, like applying a Lut and compressing down multiple files...or conforming high frame rates to playback in slow motion natively (instead of slowing down in the timeline). Plus, FCPX has the ability to convert to proxies and seems to handle that better than trying to relink them. At least from what I remember. Trying to relink external proxies used to be a headache. Isn't EditReady a little outdated and irrelevant considering modern computers and workflows? Why should I buy it? I can upgrade right now for $38 but have no idea how or why I would want to use it.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 20:44 #123023

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Oh forgot to mention. I pulled the files outside of the structure and they import fine. Thanks. Not sure why I always get mixed up with that. I do a project about once every six months. ;)

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 20:46 #123024

It lets you extract the files from the camera, place them where you want so it can use leave in place, and maintains the camera metadata, which you can lose by simply dragging it off the camera structure. You can of course import from the structure and let FCP put in a designated location outside the library, but I don’t like the folder structure it creates.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 20:48 #123025

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Have you tried dragging the media into an event, not using the import dialog? This works for our Sony FX6 media to reference it in place. Don't know if it will work for Canon media.

I just tried it and this popped up. I cancelled out though since I'm not sure how FCPX is handling it (in the library or leave in place) and this is just a test event I created. I didn't know I could drag into an event. I've always had to import or drag single clips into the timeline. Cool.
Attachments:

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 20:59 #123027

• Smesh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

It lets you extract the files from the camera, place them where you want so it can use leave in place, and maintains the camera metadata, which you can lose by simply dragging it off the camera structure. You can of course import from the structure and let FCP put in a designated location outside the library, but I don’t like the folder structure it creates.

Ok. I just bought it. All of my camera cards from four days of shooting with multiple cameras a drones are copied onto my local SSD drive. I am just about to set up the project, though have no idea what to do with EditReady now. All of the available YouTube videos are super old. Like 8 years. You would think the Software Company would update their videos. Lol. I have had issues with lost meta data before so like what you said, though I have no idea how to integrate that workflow before ingesting and organizing into FCPX. Normally I just bring stuff in and start keyboarding.

"Leave Files In Place" Greyed Out Even with Full Card Structure 23 Nov 2022 21:00 #123028

If you have Leave in Place set in Preferences, FCP will reference them where they are. At least that's how it behaves for us with FX6 media.

• Page: