fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 19 Nov 2022 17:33 #122955

Hi, I've been looking at 27" and 32" HDR monitors for my Late 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max. I came across a few with great spec's (below) especially with the first one shown but, with mixed reviews (as usual) such as; MacBook Pro M1 Max compatibility, Support, etc.. that leaves me no more than undecided. With that being said, I would like to find some real world user's. I would like to know what you're using and/or any recommendations. The following is a list of spec's of what I would like. Your help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks, Ray

Spec's I would like:

IPS Mini-LED Backlit Flicker Free: Doesn't matter if its non-glare.
Resolution: 4K 3840x2160
Aspect: 16:9
HDR-10: 500 nits or better
Color Space: DCI-P3, Rec. 709, HLG, Rec. 2020, sRGB, Adobe RGB
Contrast Ratio: Preferably 1300:1
Response Time: 5ms or less
USB-C Thunderbolt: Connectivity (Would like another USB-C for daisy chain future use)
Budget: $1,500.00

ASUS ProArt Display PA32UCR-K 

Dell Ultrasharp U2723QE

BenQ SW271C

LG (2019) 32UL950-W

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 19 Nov 2022 19:33 #122960

I'm a BenQ SW271 owner USB-C connected to a Mac Studio. This is the previous model to actual SW271C. Both are great displays with very interesting features: coverage sRGB, rec709 and DCI P3 color spaces, you can do hardware calibration (I've got Datacolor Spyder X) in three users modes, possibility to connect it for USB to your computer and also use a HDMI connected to a video interface (I use a BM Decklink monitor), Mac integration excellent. Cons: although it supports HLG and HDR10 is not a HDR monitors, ie. this panel has less nits than apple Studio display (400 vs 600). I think that it is an excellent display for jobs in Adobe RGB, sRGB and 709

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 19 Nov 2022 19:38 #122962

I'm a BenQ SW271 owner USB-C connected to a Mac Studio. This is the previous model to actual SW271C. Both are great displays with very interesting features: coverage sRGB, rec709 and DCI P3 color spaces, you can do hardware calibration (I've got Datacolor Spyder X) in three users modes, possibility to connect it for USB to your computer and also use a HDMI connected to a video interface (I use a BM Decklink monitor), Mac integration excellent. Cons: although it supports HLG and HDR10 is not a HDR monitors, ie. this panel has less nits than apple Studio display (400 vs 600). I think that it is an excellent display for jobs in Adobe RGB, sRGB and 709

Thank you for the great information! Appreciate it. 👍

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 23 Nov 2022 02:36 #123013

I use BenQ and I know that ViewSonic is also ok.

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 24 Nov 2022 18:15 #123039

I use BenQ and I know that ViewSonic is also ok.
Thank you for the help. I did look at the BenQ SW271C & SW321C which looked pretty good in regards to spec's. My only hesitation is dealing with calibration. Do you find this to be user friendly in doing so? Also, in regards to these compaired to the Apple Studio Display would you stick with BenQ? Thanks again, appreciate your help. 👍

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 12:02 #123055

My only hesitation is dealing with calibration. Do you find this to be user friendly in doing so? Also, in regards to these compaired to the Apple Studio Display would you stick with BenQ? Thanks again, appreciate your help. 👍
Both SW271 and SW321 monitors are already calibrated for sRGB, rec709, adobe RGB and P3 color space. A certified report is included in the monitor's documentation. You can work with these calibrations. What can custom color calibrations do for you? For example, I’ve a got a Spyder X colorimeter that can measure the intensity of ambient light in my office and this allows me to perform calibrations with different brightness levels. The calibration proceeding is very ease: you need a colorimeter compatible and download a free Benq application (Palette Master) exclusive for SW.
www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/photographer/p...-master-element.html
Is the Apple Studio Display a better option? You will have to evaluate this according to your budget and needs :)

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 19:12 #123060

In my opinion, there are better options than those two Benqs because they are more focused for Photo than video (99% AdobeRGB coverage and only 90% P3). The PD2725U seems more video focused.

Also, take into account that none of those monitors will allow you to work in HDR with accurate colors and brightness values, no matter how you use them (fullscreen as a video monitor or in window mode).

You will still need you MacBook Pro monitor to display a full HDR signal or a true HDR screen connected through an Aja or Blackmagic thunderbolt i/o box.

Last edit: by MotionFX.

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 19:57 #123062

My only hesitation is dealing with calibration. Do you find this to be user friendly in doing so? Also, in regards to these compaired to the Apple Studio Display would you stick with BenQ? Thanks again, appreciate your help. 👍
Both SW271 and SW321 monitors are already calibrated for sRGB, rec709, adobe RGB and P3 color space. A certified report is included in the monitor's documentation. You can work with these calibrations. What can custom color calibrations do for you? For example, I’ve a got a Spyder X colorimeter that can measure the intensity of ambient light in my office and this allows me to perform calibrations with different brightness levels. The calibration proceeding is very ease: you need a colorimeter compatible and download a free Benq application (Palette Master) exclusive for SW.
www.benq.eu/en-eu/monitor/photographer/p...-master-element.html
Is the Apple Studio Display a better option? You will have to evaluate this according to your budget and needs :)

Thank you for this great information and link for Palette Master! Both of those BenQ monitors are very nice. Spec wise, it's pretty hard to match them with other monitors. The price point isn't bad especially when comparing with Apple displays. Color calibration with the Palette Master looks to be fairly straight forward. Less complicated than I thought. I'll keep digging into these along with trying to make a good solid decision. Thank you for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.👍😊

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 20:49 #123065

In my opinion, there are better options than those two Benqs because they are more focused for Photo than video (99% AdobeRGB coverage and only 90% P3). The PD2725U seems more video focused.

Also, take into account that none of those monitors will allow you to work in HDR with accurate colors and brightness values, no matter how you use them (fullscreen as a video monitor or in window mode).

You will still need you MacBook Pro monitor to display a full HDR signal or a true HDR screen connected through an Aja or Blackmagic thunderbolt i/o box.

Thank you for your help. I did look at the PD2725 but, their specs show Brightness (typ.) 250 nits - Brightness (peak) (HDR) 400 nits. Im not an expert or even close by any means but, I.M.O. and from what I have read is that 400 nits for HDR isn't even close to 1000 nits what's really needed. As for 100% Rec.709, 100% sRGB, 95% P3 those are great along with Native Contrast of 1200:1 which is better than the average 1000:1 As for the rest of the spec's, they do look good. Here
Looking at the SW271C Here  shows that it has HDR10 but , looking at the
Brightness (typ.) 250 nits I don't see how. Spec's like this is why it's extremely hard to make some kind of decision. Here's the kicker, this monitor is at the same price point of the Apple Studio Dislay. Although, the ASD is not HDR, the nits are at 600 along with it's other very good specs. Of course there are daisy chaining issues due to only having one Thunderbolt input with no Thunderbolt output. No on/off switch for the monitor just sleep mode. Even worse their stand adjustable height stand for an additional $500.00. It's really tough to jump on anything which brings me to this forum. Your input along with others here are really appreciated in helping myself and I'm sure, other member's in making an informed decision. Thank You. 👍😊

Last edit: by RayPaula.

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 21:01 #123066

HDR in computer screens is meant to watch HDR content, not to create HDR content. That is why I said that you will still need the MBP screen to work in HDR projects.

It may not be the best accurate HDR screen, but it can display true HDR content in a window with FCP. You will not be able to do that with any other screen except the XDR Display.

When you plug a different external screen to a Mac, you can enable HDR in the Display Control panel but color in the interface will look weird and it's only meant to watch HDR videos. Final Cut Pro does not "interact" with those HDR displays.

Until OLED or other MiniLed screens become popular, the HDR in screens is useless regarding video editing.

Need Monitor Recommendations - M1 Max 25 Nov 2022 21:08 #123067

HDR in computer screens is meant to watch HDR content, not to create HDR content. That is why I said that you will still need the MBP screen to work in HDR projects.

It may not be the best accurate HDR screen, but it can display true HDR content in a window with FCP. You will not be able to do that with any other screen except the XDR Display.

When you plug a different external screen to a Mac, you can enable HDR in the Display Control panel but color in the interface will look weird and it's only meant to watch HDR videos. Final Cut Pro does not "interact" with those HDR displays.

Until OLED or other MiniLed screens become popular, the HDR in screens is useless regarding video editing.
Thank you, that really helps clear up things. I've been staying clear of the OLED's simply due to Burn In. As you know, FCPX has too many static windows. It would be fine for other content that doesn't have open static windows. As for the XDR nice but, waaaay above my budget. Thanks again for giveing me another outlook into HDR. 👍

• Page: