fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 04 Nov 2022 15:37 #122770

• Stu Wart
  • Stu Wart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 7
I am on the buying fence between MacBook Pro and Mac Studio... I just wonder about fan noise with the MacBook Pro M1

I know it's imperceptible most of the time, (if any). I know that with those machines you barely have to render when working, and I accept the noise when exporting.

My question is : do fans usually blow when editing, titling, color correcting ? (Mostly UHD footage on HD projects)

Thank you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 04 Nov 2022 17:27 #122772

I've never heard the fans on my 16" Max, but it's not my daily rig so YMMV.

I do edit with it when traveling, but that's not as much of a necessity as it used to be. Usually with media on an external SSD, fwiw.

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 05 Nov 2022 13:36 #122778

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587

I am on the buying fence between MacBook Pro and Mac Studio... I just wonder about fan noise with the MacBook Pro M1...

I have both M1 Max MBP 16 and M1 Ultra Mac Studio. They are vastly better and quieter than any other Macs except maybe the 2019 Mac Pro. I previously had the 10-core iMac Pro which had a reputation for being quiet but if pushed you could hear the fan.

The M1 Max MBP and M1 Ultra Mac Studio are much quieter than the iMac Pro. That said, the M1 Max MBP 16 will make fan noise if doing certain types of sustained computationally-intensive work. E.g, last night I was transcoding 8k RED RAW to optimized media on both machines and after a while I could hear the M1 Max MBP 16. I could not hear the M1 Ultra -- so it is quieter -- however for certain extreme jobs I can definitely hear it.

I think when I was transcoding some large 6k BRAW interviews using Resolve or EditReady I could hear the M1 Ultra after it ran for 15 min. However it was not as loud as the iMac Pro, which itself was quieter than all other iMacs. Most people for most tasks will never hear the fan on the Mac Studio. The M1 Max MBP 16 is vastly quieter than my previous 2019 i9 MBP 16, but if really pushed for long periods you can hear the fan.

The M1 Max MBP 16 has a unique feature from all the other Apple Silicon Macs -- in System Preferences>Battery>Power Adapter, there are settings for Automatic, Low Power and High Power. Those work whether on AC power or batteries. High Power lets you squeeze out a bit more performance at the cost of more power consumption and fan noise. Lower Power makes it quieter, at the cost of lower (but still fast) performance. Automatic has some algorithm based on the job. I usually leave it on Auto.

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 07 Nov 2022 09:45 #122789

• Stu Wart
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
ok, so fan noise only for batch transcoding, renders, exports...

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 07 Nov 2022 13:22 #122791

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587

ok, so fan noise only for batch transcoding, renders, exports...

On the M1 Max MBP 16 you normally don't hear fan noise for those tasks when using FCP or Compressor. If using Resolve (not FCP) you can hear it now and then. If using FCP with a 3rd-party plugin for transcoding (like Apple RED Workflow) you can hear it, but even then not like an Intel Mac.

Also each Apple Silicon MacBook has different characteristics. I think the M1 Pro MacBook Pro is slower to spin up the fan since its GPU is 1/2 the size of the M1 Max.

Even between the 14 inch and 16 inch M1 Max MacBook Pro there is a difference -- the 16-inch model apparently has better cooling, also it alone has the special setting in System Preferences>Battery>Power Adapter to adjust power consumption vs fan noise.

They are all vastly quieter than any Intel laptop I've ever used.

Fan noise with MacBook Pro M1 08 Nov 2022 09:54 #122799

• Stu Wart
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
thank you

• Page: