fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clunky trackpad vs new mouse? 31 Oct 2022 19:26 #122697

Hi all,

I have a 16" MBP with two external monitors, an apple keyboard and an (external) apple trackpad. I'm much more of a timeline editor than a browser editor, so I select and drag clips around a lot in the timeline.

The trackpad I find very clunky for this, for example:
- I click on a timeline clip to select it, then try to drag it away, but it won't drag, so I have to wait a second or two, then click/hold it again to then drag it away
-working on a voice over audio timeline just now, I keep accidentally double clicking on an audio clip and opening up its properties tab (where it splits into two clips on top of each other etc.

Is this just clumsy mouse control by myself or do others have these issues with other devices? Any experiences welcomed...

If it is the trackpad thats a bit clunky, are there any tried and true mice that many people swear by?

And has anybody benefitted from an ergonomic mouse, where its sideways? I have a lot of shoulder and neck strain so wonder if it helps or is just marketing fluff?

TIA!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Clunky trackpad vs new mouse? 31 Oct 2022 20:33 #122700

I'm still not used to the trackpad on my new(ish) 16". This is the first one I've ever had trouble with, and it bugs me. So much frustration just trying to drag/drop in the Finder that I've all but given up on it for anything other than scrolling.

I've gotten pretty quick and comfortable with the Magic Mouse and Better Touch Tool.

Clunky trackpad vs new mouse? 31 Oct 2022 20:38 #122701

• DaveM
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 105
Here's a very good discussion of input devices that people can use while editing (and other tasks):

jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-and-video-editing/...se-for-film-editing/

I personally use a Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball  (for 20+ years) and a graphics tablet sometimes...

Last edit: by DaveM.

Clunky trackpad vs new mouse? 01 Nov 2022 18:03 #122721

Here MX master 3 for Mac (ergonomic mouse) by Logitech

Last edit: by Buhardilla.

Clunky trackpad vs new mouse? 02 Nov 2022 18:51 #122736

I switched to a sideways ergonomic mouse and it was the best decision! I use to get a terrible knot in my shoulder from using a traditional mouse and that's gone.

• Page: