fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

open multi screen video file 04 Oct 2022 21:43 #122386

Hello,

I have one video file that was saved as 4 monitor screens. So if I open the video file to play on VLC for instance, you can see the entire 4 screens. Is there a way to open this video in final cut pro x and crop it such that i can select which of the 4 screens in the video, I want to edit? the final edit will be 1 video file with only 1 screen shown (not 4 screens). thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

open multi screen video file 04 Oct 2022 22:05 #122387

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 99
It might be helpful to see a screenshot of the video file opened in VLC or QuickTime Player. Or, you could post a few second clip on Dropbox, etc., and post the link here. It might also be helpful to know the specs of the original video file, perhaps by using Invisor or MediaInfo. Thanks.

open multi screen video file 05 Oct 2022 02:23 #122388

Hi Dave,

the video is an mkv file with a resolution of 7680x1080. aspect ratio is 64:9. I want to find out how to edit that video to only pick one part of the screen (out of the 4) so that the output is a regular-sized video that can be played full screen on 1 monitor. thanks again!

Last edit: by mark_urir.

open multi screen video file 05 Oct 2022 02:46 #122389

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Okay, Mark, thanks for the info...

It seems like you'd want to end up with a multicam clip so you could switch angles to show one of the four "screens" as you edit. There is more than one way to handle this.

If you have Compressor or another tool, you could set cropping to select just one portion of the video ("one screen" of 1920 x 1080). You'd end up with 4 different files. After importing into FCP, you could create a multicam clip from the four sources and edit from that.

Another way would be to import the file into FCP. You could then create a new Project/timeline with dimensions of 1920 x 1080. Then edit the source clip into the timeline and use the Transform tool to just show the portion of the file you want. Or, you could crop the imported file/clip to just show one portion of the original. Do this for for all four screens, that is, edit the original clip into a Project/timeline four times, then select the "screen" you want for each clip. You could then make each clip into a Compound clip so they show up in the Browser. In the Browser, you'd then select all four clips and create a new multicam clip.

A possibly cleaner way to do this would be to import the original file into FCP. Select the imported file (now clip) in the Browser and choose to create a new multicam clip from the "File -> New..." menu (make sure the dimensions are 1920 x 1080). Double-click the multicam clip to open it. Use the pulldown menu next to the clip name (downward pointing arrow head) and choose "add angle". Do that three times. Then, click on the clip in the first angle and option-drag copies to the other angles. Make sure they are aligned. Then, select the clip in the first angle. From the main Clip menu, choose "Open clip". You can then select the video for the clip and do a transform or crop to isolate one of the "screens". Back out of the clip when done using command-[ or by clicking on the timeline history arrow to the left of the Project/timeline name. Repeat for the other 3 angles, then back out of the multicam clip. Edit the multicam clip into a new Project/timeline and edit like you would any multicam sequence.

There may be a better way (or ways) to do this that I haven't mentioned, but either of these should get you where you want to be...

Last edit: by DaveM.

open multi screen video file 05 Oct 2022 05:37 #122390

What Dave said, but first you would need to convert the mkv file as it’s not supported in FCP. I’ve never seen a file like this but you might be able to convert it using VLC or Handbrake.

open multi screen video file 05 Oct 2022 13:56 #122393

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Good catch, Tom! I missed that one... ;-) I believe I've seen a similar file for use in a kiosk display or an electronic billboard, though I can't recall for sure...

My choice for converting from MKV would be ShutterEncoder (it's an almost essential tool to have):

www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Last edit: by DaveM.

open multi screen video file 06 Oct 2022 02:12 #122401

Hi guys! I appreciate your help. I was able to convert the mkv file using handbrake and was able to import the file in FCP. I also cropped the screen that I want but for now it's blurry. let's see what happens when I process this video. thanks so much for your help I appreciate it very much!

• Page: