fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

.mov file recovery 24 Sep 2022 09:13 #122251

Hi!
I have a few .mov files which are 1 - 2 GB. The error message is 'the document XXX could not be opened The file isn't compatible with QuickTime player.' I have tried VLC as well as a couple of online recovery apps but they have not worked.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you!The file isn’t compatible with QuickTime Player.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

.mov file recovery 24 Sep 2022 12:39 #122252

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 576

Hi!
I have a few .mov files which are 1 - 2 GB. The error message is 'the document XXX could not be opened The file isn't compatible with QuickTime player.' I have tried VLC as well as a couple of online recovery apps but they have not worked...

VLC uses internal libraries, so it's not dependent on Quicktime or other OS-layer video frameworks. The fact it won't play in VLC (or other utilities you tried) implies there's something unusual about the .mov files.

Mov is a wrapper format and does not indicate the codec inside the file. The first step is inspect the file metadata, which requires a free or cheap 3rd-party tool like MediaInfo or Invisor. I personally like Invisor because it can compare in a side-by-side spreadsheet fashion several different video files: apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12

If you could run Invisor and do View>Extended or View>Comparison and post that info, we can tell more about the problem.

You could try to blindly transcode the file using the free 3rd-party Handbrake tool; maybe that would work. But if you've tried other recovery tools I'm not optimistic.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Page: