fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 20 Sep 2022 08:31 #122216

Tried to import a short clip shot on an iPhone XS (60 fps, 4K), nothing big or odd, and the import that usually goes within a few seconds now caused the spinning bath ball and nonresponse. After a while a window allowing me to force quit FCPX popped up. The clip was not imported.

I tried importing this from my Samsung T7 drive from two different USB-C ports, I also saved the file locally to see if there was any difference in behaviour, but no. Same problem and spinning ball.

I was able to drag and drop the file from the T7 finder window into the open project in FCP and the import was done instantly. This leads me to believe something is up with the import function.

Anyone else notice this? Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 16" 2021, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, 4 TB SSD
MacOS Monetery 12.6
FCPX 10.6.4

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 20 Sep 2022 18:02 #122220

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Something to consider...

It may be that your Import window settings are causing the issue. When you drag and drop a clip onto a timeline/Project, the media stays in its original location.

It might be helpful to take a screenshot of your Import window when you try to import that clip and post it here. Of course, it could be something else...

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 21 Sep 2022 10:47 #122223

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

...I tried importing this from my Samsung T7 drive from two different USB-C ports, I also saved the file locally to see if there was any difference in behaviour, but no. Same problem and spinning ball....

Besides what DaveM said, reboot the machine.

Make sure you have at least 20% free space on the system drive.

Then try resetting FCP preferences (item 11 on this list): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

In FCP preferences>Playback, turn off background render. Under Import, turn off Create Optimized Media and Create Proxy Media.

Create a new library with nothing in it and try the import there.

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 21 Sep 2022 16:26 #122224

I have selected to import file into library, I have no proxy or optimised media creation. The file should just go into the library. I now tried with a 215 MB file and it took 4 minutes to import. The force quit did not show up. I have about 2,3 TB free on my SSD.

BUT - when creating a new library I could import the files as it should be. So, I suspect my library is damaged or corrupted somehow. Any good ideas on how to make it healthy again?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Robert74.

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 22 Sep 2022 04:02 #122227

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 281
Try using Pro Maintenance Tools by Digital Rebellion www.digitalrebellion.com/promaintenance/
You may have a corrupt project in the library that can be repaired. I believe there is a fully functional free trial.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 22 Sep 2022 14:45 #122230

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

... when creating a new library I could import the files as it should be. So, I suspect my library is damaged or corrupted somehow. Any good ideas on how to make it healthy again?

Possibly the best approach is first save the FCP auto-backups for that library. By default they are in /Movies/Final Cut Backups/Your Library Name. Normally those are not deleted but saving them on another drive is just precautionary. They are not large.

Then delete all generated media files from your current library to make it easier to backup at a file level. File>Delete Generated Library Files>Delete Render Files>All, and also delete optimized and proxy media. After than right-click in Finder on the current library and duplicate it. That is another precautionary step. If the situation gets worse at least you can revert to the current state.

After doing the above, the first and easiest step is grant FCP full disk access. That is in case the import hang is caused by a permission problem. To do that use System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Full Disk Access and ensure FCP in the right-hand pane is enabled.

If that doesn't prevent the problem, export a library XML, create a new library and try to load that XML. If there is library corruption, sometimes the round-trip translation to XML will clean that up.

If that doesn't work, verify your T7 drives are formatted APFS or HFS+ not ExFAT. Admittedly you reproduced the problem when copying the iPhone video file to your system drive, but this is a standard step that may prevent future problems.

Run Disk Utility First Aid on your system drive. You can do that with the system in normal mode but if it finds anything needing correction the system must be in MacOS Recovery Mode, then you run Disk Utility First Aid from there. Instructions for Apple Silicon Macs on this page under the heading "Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon":
support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/macos-r...con-mchl82829c17/mac

After doing that rebuild Spotlight indexes on the system drive: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

While that is running you can check on the status by doing CMD+space bar and typing "indexing". When the progress bar goes away the reindex job is finished.

Over the years there have been several issues which only happened when importing files using the FCP import dialog, not when using drag/drop from Finder to FCP. I thought those were all fixed. The FCP import dialog should definitely work, although I rarely use it myself.

Import video causes bath ball and force quit option on 10.6.4 27 Sep 2022 15:57 #122274

Thank you! Removing the back up library and granting full disc access to FCPX seems to have done the trick. I thought full access was granted automatically, or it has lost the access during some update.

Now I could use the importer without hiccups.

• Page: