fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Move individual file into library 18 Sep 2022 06:46 #122196

• lassee
  • lassee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I've really tried to find out, and it seems like it should be super easy, but maybe I've missed something really obvoius... I want to move a single file into the library, so instead of it residing in the external media folder on an external drive I want it to be in the library file/package. Can I do this in any other way than actuallt re-import it?

The reason I want to to this i audio. I make a proxy during import so I can take the library with me and work in that, but audio files don't get proxied so when opening my library those audio files are missing if not connected to the external drive.

Just for clarification: I know one can consolidate the whole library but that's not what I want to do.

If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by lassee.

Move individual file into library 18 Sep 2022 19:12 #122201

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 554
On current versions of FCP the recommended way is use File>Copy Event to Library, and select "Proxy Media". That creates a proxy-only library PLUS automatically copies all media to the target library which cannot be transcoded: audio, graphics, etc. See attached.

However it should also be possible to re-import the audio files using "copy to library", or import the audio using "leave files in place". It is typical during a field edit or remote collaboration for new media to be added by multiple editors at different locations. They have to keep track of that, send the files to the other editors, who can import that media.

For the "editing on the road" scenario, the portable proxy-only library you created using File>Copy Event to Library can be used in the field, edits performed, then upon return home connect to the original library (presumably on a large disk or array), and drag/drop the project from the laptop to the original library. That will pop up a dialog titled "Copy Project to Library 'Library Name'", with the option "Project without media". You pick that option then it copies the edited project (minus media) to the original library.

Make sure during any work like this that all drives are formatted only APFS or Mac OS Extended Journaled. Do not use any ExFAT or NTFS drives.

For details and a complete workflow, see Ripple Training's tutorial "Media Management in Final Cut Pro": www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cu...ent-in-fcp-x-10-4-9/

Move individual file into library 18 Sep 2022 19:49 #122202

• lassee
  • lassee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, I'm aware of this solution, but if I only want to copy one or a couple of audio files into the current library is seems like an overkill to copy a whole library/event. But I read your answer as there is no way of copy a single file (without having to re-import it, as you mention as a second solution)?

Move individual file into library 18 Sep 2022 20:29 #122203

You can consolidate individual or a set of media into the library. Select the Library and in the inspector set the media location to internal. Then select one or multiple media clips and select 'consolidate clip media' from the file menu. After it's done reset the media location for the library back to the external location you had before.

The media location for a library can be changed at anytime to either import certain media to a diff location or to generate proxies to a diff location than the full res media location. I use this to import full res media to an external drive but then generate proxies to my internal drive for mobile editing.

Move individual file into library 18 Sep 2022 21:10 #122204

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 554

Thanks, I'm aware of this solution, but if I only want to copy one or a couple of audio files into the current library is seems like an overkill to copy a whole library/event.

Your stated scenario is you wanted to take the proxy-only library with you. The above procedure is designed for that -- you know ahead of time you're doing it. Therefore you create the proxies ahead of time, the audio files are in the library ahead of time, then you follow that procedure and it copies the proxies and audio files to a proxy-only library.

If you follow that procedure you will not have a proxy-only library lacking audio files -- at the outset.

If you later add additional audio files, they must be added to the original library and the travel library. Just import them using the "copy to library" option.

But I read your answer as there is no way of copy a single file (without having to re-import it, as you mention as a second solution)?

If you don't re-import the file, how can you use it? "Importing" is what tells FCP where the file is and the parameters of the file.

If the new audio file was external to the library you could relink to it, but you said you wanted all media inside the library.

What is the problem with re-importing one or two audio files to the proxy-only library using "copy to library"?

• Page: