fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Importing old FCPX projects into FCP 10.6.4 14 Sep 2022 09:38 #122165

Hi all,

I came across an old hard drive with a bunch of projects from way back using FCPX 10.0.9. I'd love to load them up and have a look at them but the neither the original .fcpproject files or .fcpxml XML exports are recognised, with a "DTD version is not recognised" error message coming up for the XML file.

I still have an old machine with the old version of FCPX on there, so if worst comes to the worst, I can work on the old projects there, but wondering if there's any conceivable way I can export the projects to open in 10.6.4 on my new setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best

Si

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Importing old FCPX projects into FCP 10.6.4 14 Sep 2022 19:47 #122171

• VTC
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 57
Fire up the old machine and work from that.

Once up you may try exporting XML files in various versions to progressively reach a more modern / current version of FCP but doing that will likely leave elderly and no longer supported plugins / effects behind with you facing a timeline awash in red segments and warning triangles. (I've archived all sorts of FCPX versions just for the eventuality you're facing now.)

We all face this. There hasn't been a project I've completed yet that I didn't revisit after a few weeks with an urge to remedy those "Oh man, I could have really wailed away here by doing this..." editors remorse. The mark of maturity is realizing you could improve those yesterdays edits with todays skills but having the vision of what's possible is good enough without having to actually invest the time.

(Conscientious editors should wrangle with this exact dilemma every few days.)

Last edit: by VTC.

Importing old FCPX projects into FCP 10.6.4 14 Sep 2022 22:20 #122172

Hey thanks so much for your response... even though it probably wasn't what I was hoping to hear, I was rapidly coming to the same conclusion. What's frustrating is that I don't particularly want to have to keep the old machine just to be able to work on only projects that I'd sooner carry out on my new laptop!

I'm one half of an experimental music duo and we always create visuals for our shows, some of which are new from scratch, but often recycling/editing old films, which is what some of these older projects are. So I'll either have to tweak them in the old setup and export them to the new one to when I want to combine them with new material, or just start afresh... which isn't always a bad thing but obvs a lot more work!

All that said, it's deeply irritating that unlike a lot of music software, FCP does not seem to be backwards compatible. I can still load projects created on Ableton Live 8 12 years ago onto my current Live 11 setup!

But if anyone has got any other suggestions for any 3rd party converting software that could convert my old XMLs or even .fcpproject files to files readable in FCP now, that would be great!

Thanks

Importing old FCPX projects into FCP 10.6.4 15 Sep 2022 17:31 #122179

There are versions of the app that will convert those original 10.0.x projects/events into libraries.

10.1 - 10.2 maybe? I forget. So if you can find an old version that can run on the old machine, you should be good.

Last edit: by dmetz.

Importing old FCPX projects into FCP 10.6.4 15 Sep 2022 18:12 #122181

Much obliged! Will look into that :)

• Page: