fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Import Window closes immediately 17 Aug 2022 11:50 #121879

Running FCP 10.6.4 on an M1-Max 16" MBP with 32 GB ram and 2 TB SSD.

Starting today, I cannot import into FCP, because the import window closes the instant it flashes up as opening. I have made no changes to my system.

I have tried:
- Resetting FCP preferences
- Running CleanMyMac X and purge un needed files
- CCleaner for similar
- Restarted the Mac
- Closed every other program
- Closed all Libraries and created a brand new temp library

At one point it came good, but this only lasted about 30 minutes. When I wanted to import new clips, it went back to the same condition. My only workaround was to drag clips in, from Finder.

Any ideas what the heck is going on and how to fix it?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Import Window closes immediately 17 Aug 2022 12:49 #121881

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
(Though, perhaps, not directly related to the Import window issue...)

FYI, many of those "cleaner" applications will make your system less stable, if not damage it. While some of the operations these applications perform may be okay, they can still destablize or damage your system by the timing of these operations (some operations need to be followed immediately by a restart, something that isn't always the case when using these utilities, etc.).

You might want to reinstall FCP, along with resetting the preferences. Another step would be to go into recovery mode and reinstall macOS (to mitigate what the "cleaner" applications have done).

Once you get things to a more stable and known state, it the issue persists it'd be easier to troubleshoot...

P.S. - One way of safely "cleaning" your system is to boot in safe mode (hold shift key right after power on or the chime and continue to hold until the login screen appears). Log into your account and then restart normally. Booting in safe mode will do some system maintenance, remove cache files, etc.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Import Window closes immediately 17 Aug 2022 13:32 #121883

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

...Starting today, I cannot import into FCP, because the import window closes the instant it flashes up as opening...

Import from where? Is that on an SD card, an external drive, an internal drive, a network drive or what?

Does FCP have read/write access to that folder? I agree if you can drag/drop it probably does, but you can check that by granting FCP "full disk access" in System Preferences>Security & Privacy, in left pane select "Full Disk Access", in right pane make sure FCP is enabled.

There was a problem on a previous version whereby the FCP import dialog was sensitive to certain files in that folder. In some rare conditions specific types of files with certain characteristics would cause it to crash upon opening the dialog or within a few seconds afterward. I haven't seen that reported in a long time.

This doesn't sound like a normal FCP crash but it could be a "handled exception" whereby the thread managing the import dialog crashes and the app handles that and shuts down the thread to prevent an app crash.

Move your import files (or a small selection of them) to a folder you create on /documents and try to import from there. If the import dialog crashes before you can make that selection, reset FCP preferences again. The last selected import location is stored in preferences and if there is some problem with the import location it can crash every time the dialog is raised. Once preferences are reset, when the import dialog is raised you should be able to select the new location.

If that still crashes it could be something unique about those files. Put a small "known good" test file in that newly-created folder and try the import using that.

If that doesn't work try rebuilding Spotlight indexes on all drives (inc'l system drive), not just the drive the media is on. I don't remember if FCP does a Spotlight lookup for the import dialog but it's a good idea to periodically rebuild the indexes. Procedure: support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Rebuild the indexes one drive at a time, do not try to rebuild all drives in one pass. You can monitor the status of the reindex by doing CMD+space bar and typing "index". When the progress bar goes away it is finished and you can repeat that on the next drive until all are reindexed.

Import Window closes immediately 19 Aug 2022 09:40 #121891

The SHIFT key on boot did nothing for my M1-Max MBP.

Import Window closes immediately 19 Aug 2022 09:46 #121892

...Starting today, I cannot import into FCP, because the import window closes the instant it flashes up as opening...

Import from where? Is that on an SD card, an external drive, an internal drive, a network drive or what?
Can't import from anywhere as the normal import selection window disappears so I can't even select a source. Clearly any source files do not come into play, because I can't even select a location!

Found the answer! See my separate post below...

Import Window closes immediately 19 Aug 2022 09:49 #121893

Problem SOLVED! It is caused by Command Post. Don't yet know why or what CP setting ( I have not made any changes from default), but if I close CP then not problems!

I will try to contact CP and see if they can shed any light on this.

Import Window closes immediately 19 Aug 2022 14:57 #121899

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Sorry about the errant advice about booting into safe mode. Apple has changed the procedure for Apple Silicon Macs:

support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mh21245/mac

My advice to avoid the "cleaner" applications (unless you're very technically savvy and understand everything they do) still applies. Sooner or later those "cleaner" applications will likely cause issues.

Glad to hear you narrowed it down to CP. CP likely has some unresolved issues running on Apple Silicon Macs...

• Page: