fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Location list of missing media 16 Aug 2022 20:39 #121868

Hi all,

I know that if I try to relink missing media, FCP will show my the path of where it is expecting one file (example 1 attached). However if I try to relink multiple filles the files path is replaced instead with an example (example 2 attached)

I also know that the inspector will show media locations when I select the library in question, but it will only show me the location pf online media.

So...FCP knows where it is expecting media to be, but won't show me that information unless I select one clip at a time.

Does anyone know of a solution (build in or third party) that will show me a list of locations for all media online or offline? If it is not a built in solution perhaps this is something that can be extracted from the Library XML?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Location list of missing media 16 Aug 2022 22:55 #121869

There might be tools out there like FCP Library Manager that could do this, but here's a down and dirty command line to get the original media locations from an fcpxml. It worked on a few of mine but no guarantees it works on everything.

$ grep "original-media" project.fcpxml | cut -d "\"" -f 6

Look for lines with "original-media" in project.fcpxml, set the delimiter to a quote and output only the 6th field.

Location list of missing media 16 Aug 2022 23:21 #121870

Thank you Terry - I would probably need to know a bit more to try that command - when you say command line i am assuming that you mean using terminal.app

However your answer is definately helpful. I opened the fcpxml in BBEdit and extracted all lines with "original-media". From there I can take those lines into a spreadsheet to arrange them in such a way as to group each location which will get me to where I need to go.

Location list of missing media 16 Aug 2022 23:29 #121871

Glad to be of assistance. Yup, in Terminal.app. BBEdit is also a very good tool. I don't always remember to suggest it because it used to be a paid app.

Location list of missing media 16 Aug 2022 23:53 #121872

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557

...Does anyone know of a solution (build in or third party) that will show me a list of locations for all media online or offline? If it is not a built in solution perhaps this is something that can be extracted from the Library XML?...

Inside the library, within each event is an "Original Media" folder. That contains either the files or symlinks to the external files. The problem is if the external file has been moved, Finder will not show you that location.

You can use the terminal command ls -l to list the symlink name and where it's pointing, regardless of whether file file is really there.

However Final Cut Library Manager will do the same thing and places the output in a convenient .csv format. That is an add-on extra feature but the cost is trivial next to the convenience. Like the ls -l command, it shows the symlink target location even if the media file is missing.

www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Unfortunately it does not have a status column for "missing", so it shows the symlink paths regardless of whether the media is there. It would be nice if they had a column for missing vs present.

Location list of missing media 17 Aug 2022 00:08 #121873

Thanks Joema - I already have library manager but did not know about this functionlity - perfect :) I just purchased the add-on

Location list of missing media 17 Aug 2022 00:27 #121874

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 557
Doug, years ago you did one of the first FCPX workflow tutorials on how to organize media for a documentary project. I think it was about a winery. That was a big help.

Location list of missing media 17 Aug 2022 00:34 #121875

Wow! Did I? I did quite a lot of tutorials - I don't remember specifically but that's so cool to hear :)

I still do a lot of tutorials - just mostly for my in house edit team these days.

• Page: