fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

One click to move playhead?? 31 Jul 2022 16:43 #121650

I find one aspect of FCPX very annoying... the moving of the playhead. I want to click on a specific clip in the timeline, and my mouse gladly takes me to that clip & highlights it yellow for me. But if I want that clip to appear in the viewer, and be the active clip I am making any changes to, the playhead has to be on that clip too.

Now... there are two ways to do this, one is I can hold "option" while clicking the mouse button, that will highlight my selected clip AND move the playhead. I can also click above the desired clip to move the playhead, and then click the clip itself to highlight it to get the same result.

The problem is, I'm not that smart... and frequently in my haste, start making changes to the clip I think is in the viewer, only to discover thats not the clip at all I am making changes to, because I clicked a different clip, which is highlighted, but not in the viewer because thats not the clip that the playhead is on.

What ends up happening is I click on the clip, realize I should have clicked above the clip first, click there to bring the playhead over, but now I gotta click the clip again to highlight it to make changes. Or... always try to remember to hold the "option" key every time I click the mouse to a different clip so the playhead moves with me.

I realize some people may be just fine with this layout and have very valid reasons why they don't want the playhead to move when you click another clip... but the way I edit... I do. So I am wondering if anyone knows a setting or something where you can simply change the default settings so when you click the mouse, the playhead just moves with the click... specifically if I click on a clip to highlight it, the playhead simply comes across for the ride, with no need to click above the clip or hold down the "options" key.

Any feedback is appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

One click to move playhead?? 31 Jul 2022 18:06 #121651

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 53
Not sure I'm following the issue you're having correctly or not but a playhead, say, parked at clip 035 remains there even if you hit 'C' which, in this case, highlights clip 038 and shows it in the viewer without having to hold an option key or click above the clip. But once you start playing the highlighted/viewer clip (038) the playhead moves from clip 035 to that clip... 038. (It's a good bet I misunderstood your problem.)
Attachments:

One click to move playhead?? 01 Aug 2022 16:02 #121664

Well sorta misunderstood, but you have the basic understanding of what were talking about. Take what you said, and simply add the fact that you DONT want the playhead to remain parked at clip 035 when you hit "C". I know the clip will start playing from that spot if I hit play, but thats not my immediate problem.

Now I should add a clarification, I thought that when I highlight the clip without moving the playhead, that it was the highlighted clip that shows in the viewer... which is true.... until I move the mouse off the clip, the viewer shows the clip the playhead is over.

However the original problem still holds true, because I'm not paying attention to this fact, and think that the highlighted clip is the one I am making changes to, when in fact it is whatever clip the playhead is on. I realize a lot of this is my own inattention, and I should, be more aware of what clip I am making the changes to, but there is an instinctual part of anything computer related that says "If I click on it, thats the one that is selected" sort of mentality.

Really, all I want to do is have the playhead move to the selected clip when I select it.

One click to move playhead?? 01 Aug 2022 17:38 #121666

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 52
If you turn on the skimmer ("S") and select (click on) a clip, the clip is selected and the skimmer is located at the point of the clip where it was clicked/selected. So, the viewer shows the skimmer location in the clip and the inspector lists the properties for the selected clip.

Seems like this might do what you want.

Last edit: by DaveM.

One click to move playhead?? 01 Aug 2022 20:13 #121668

• sc_fox
  • Thank you received: 17
Hold down the option key — click storyline. Playhead is moved to the point of the click, clip is highlighted/selected and viewer is updated.

(Sorry if I missed the point.)

One click to move playhead?? 02 Aug 2022 14:21 #121676

• Doug
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I think what you're talking about is a feature rather than a bug. If you clicked on a clip and it automatically moved the playhead to that spot every time, it would be super problematic with the editing process of moving things around. Unfortunately, I think the only options you're going to have are the ones other members have mentioned here.

One click to move playhead?? 02 Aug 2022 16:06 #121679

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 539

...if I click on a clip to highlight it, the playhead simply comes across for the ride, with no need to click above the clip or hold down the "options" key...

What is the problem with clicking above the clip?

If you click above the clip in the timeline, the playhead moves there and the "active playhead indicator" (the little bubble on the playhead) signifies that clip is selected. Any effects you apply or change will be done on that clip. You don't normally need to click on the clip to make the yellow box, and you don't need to do OPT+click.

If you then move through the timeline with JKL commands or a jog wheel, each clip the playhead passes over is automatically selected for any changes to effects, retiming, etc.

The active playhead indicator has been in FCP since version 10.1 was released 2013. It took me a little while to get used to it, but that was years ago.

Last edit: by joema.

One click to move playhead?? 02 Aug 2022 22:53 #121682

Joe's got it, but be careful to stay out of the graduated timing marks where the playhead icon travels, otherwise your previously-selected clip won't be 'unselected.'

This also works below the primary storyline. Be aware that the active 'bubble' indicator will always favor the topmost clip, image, or generator.

• Page: