fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 17 May 2022 15:25 #120573

I am getting intermittent corruption in my FCP interface. It happened on my 27 iMac and now on my Mac Studio. (See the screen shots below) The thumbnail image in Filmstrip Icon for a project in the browser is corrupted. If I hover over it to see it in the viewer that is corrupted as well. In the timeline, if I create a compound clip it is corrupted. This does not happen all the time to all the browser icons. Sometimes they will be fine but if I quit FCP and re open they will be corrupted. This has not impact to the actual edit or footage...it's just the thumbnails. This is really weird and annoying. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 17 May 2022 17:35 #120576

Have you tried resetting FCP prefs? Hold option and command when launching and then choose Delete Preferences. This will open the default Untitled library. Reopen the library you were working on, set the prefs back to the way you like and see if the issue is resolved.

Have you tried deleting the render cache? Select the library in the browser, choose File->Delete Generated Library Files... Choose All Render files.
support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/ma...iles-ver68a8c250/mac

Last edit: by TerryB.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 18 May 2022 13:21 #120595

Thanks. I tried the recommended fixes....the weird issues remain. Any other thoughts?

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 18 May 2022 14:52 #120599

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 520

Thanks. I tried the recommended fixes....the weird issues remain. Any other thoughts?

There have been several fixes related to thumbnails in the past several FCP versions. Which version are you running? If you are on the latest version 10.6.2, a reasonable troubleshooting step is delete all the generated thumbnail files.

The thumbnail images are auto generated when the clips are first imported, or when you scroll down the Event Browser and other cases. However they not deleted by any available FCP menu. To delete those your options are:

1 - Use Finder to go inside the library via right-click on the library>Show Package Contents, then go to the Event Name>Render Files>Thumbnail Media and delete that manually (do only if you are confident in this area and have backed up your library).

2 - Within FCP, assign a separate folder for cache using the library inspector>Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Cache and designate a folder location. A popup will ask "Do you want to move your render files?". If you say no that will delete all cache, analysis, optical flow, thumbnail and waveform files. That is safe. Thereafter if you need to again delete all cache files you can simply delete the .fcpcache bundle within the folder you named.

3 - Use Final Cut Library Manager which allows safely deleting all those items: www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

After using one of those methods, restart FCP then after the thumbnails are regenerated evaluate are they distorted.

It may be a problem with pixel aspect ratio metadata, not image corruption. Is there anything unique about the media files that experience the stretched thumbnails? E.g, are they time lapses built from a series of stills? What camera and codec are they using? You can get some of that info by playing one of those clips in Quicktime Player and doing a CMD+I, then look under both "General" and "Video Details". That will show the Display Aspect Ratio but not the Pixel Aspect Ratio. To see more info it's necessary to use a 3rd-party utility such as Invisor: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file-inspector/id442947586?mt=12

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 18 May 2022 19:17 #120611

Thanks for the great input...but some clarification. The corrupted thumbnails are Not for imported clips. Those are fine and have never been an issue. The elements that are corrupted are the thumbnails for project icons and the thumbnails for compound clips. All of the footage imported for editing is standard 4k footage from either a canon cinema camera or DJI drones. Nothing unusual or exotic. FYI...I have been using FC Library Manager for years. If I have more than one or two jobs in play I clean the system with Library Manager a couple of times a week and always before I archive my projects on storage drives.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 18 May 2022 20:10 #120613

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
OK, thanks for that clarification. I now see the thumbnails are indeed corrupted, not just stretched. Have you for certain deleted all the thumbnail cache so that everything in the library in the subfolder Event Name>Render Files>Thumbnail Media is gone? That contains not only the thumbnail images but some plist data with the frame size and some pixel transform data. If that was somehow corrupt or damaged it conceivably might cause a garbled thumbnail.

Are all the files and library local to each machine or are they on a NAS or network of some kind? If a local drive is it formatted APFS or Mac OS Extended Journaled, or are any of the drives formatted HFS or ExFAT?

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 19 May 2022 13:03 #120625

I don't understand this path - subfolder Event Name>Render Files>Thumbnail Media...particularly how to I get to Event Name to start. I have looked in the library package contents and don't see anything like that. I've right clicked on the event in the bar, etc. I am blankingg on this one. Getting old.

Last edit: by Mike Petty.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 19 May 2022 13:42 #120627

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I don't understand this path - subfolder Event Name>Render Files>Thumbnail Media...

See attached. As stated previously if you are not comfortable doing this you can use the FCP library inspector to place the cache in a separate folder. The resultant .fcpcache bundle can be safely deleted with Finder and that will delete all render cache, thumbnails, waveforms, analysis and optical flow files.
Attachments:

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 19 May 2022 19:58 #120647

Thanks for the detailed directions. I followed them...and the problem persists (see screenshot)....across all my libraries. Some old...some just created.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mike Petty.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 19 May 2022 20:43 #120650

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Just to confirm: this is happening to thumbnails of individual clips in the Event Browser, and also to project thumbnails. If you click on a project thumbnail, its distorted poster frame shows larger in the viewer. But if you skim the distorted clips, that always shows OK in the viewer. Is that right?

Can you please do these things:

1 - Click on the project icon which is distorted and select File>Export XML.
2 - Click on a clip which is distorted and select File>Export XML
3 - Locate where on disk the above clip is by selecting it the the Event Browser, then right-click and pick "Reveal in Finder"
4 - Install the 3rd-party app Invisor, use Finder to drag/drop the above clip on top of the Invisor icon in the task bar. That will launch it and load the metadata of that clip. apps.apple.com/us/app/invisor-media-file...or/id442947586?mt=12
5 - In Invisor pick View>Extended.
6 - Copy/paste all that info to a text file using TextEdit.
7 - Use Finder to compress all the above XML and .txt files (not the media file) to a single file. The goal is to examine the metadata of the distorted project & clip from the viewpoint of both FCP and file system.
8 - Send me the compressed .zip file to this web location. This is a private write-only dropbox. Just drop it on here with Finder: www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 20 May 2022 14:38 #120670

Just to chime in - I am having the same Project thumbnail issues on my system. Seems to be a cosmetic problem only.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 20 May 2022 15:33 #120680

Quick Update...I spoke with Apple FCP tech suit last night. He seemed to think the cause is most likely the fact that my drive was formatted to Mac Journaled instead of the more efficient APFS. So I am in the process of working with OWC Tech support now to do that (and we are running across some other issues). I'll update this thread once I get the drive situation sorted out.

Weird Corruption in FCP Interface 20 May 2022 15:33 #120681

Quick Update...I spoke with Apple FCP tech suit last night. He seemed to think the cause is most likely the fact that my drive was formatted to Mac Journaled instead of the more efficient APFS. So I am in the process of working with OWC Tech support now to do that (and we are running across some other issues). I'll update this thread once I get the drive situation sorted out.

• Page: