fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Slow MXF import 14 May 2022 00:59 #120512

• dtmp
  • dtmp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I shoot on a Canon XF100 that produces MXF MPEG2 files.
When I edited on Legacy FCP (a couple of years ago) it would import them pretty quickly without having to re-encode them to Prores.
Now that I'm in FCPX, it seems to take FOREVER to import, especially long clips (more than 10 minutes). They seem to import at real time. So, an hour and a half for an hour and a half video clip! I'm know I'm impatient but that seems way too long.
I've noticed other formats do not have this issue.
When I check the final FCPX file in the "Final Cut Original Media" folder, the files are now .mov but still MPEG2.

What gives? Am I missing something?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Slow MXF import 14 May 2022 01:34 #120513

Try dragging the folder of footage into the event instead of using the import dialog. This works for our Sony FX6 MXF footage and does not copy/rewrap it to the library. This might not work with MPEG2 footage.

Slow MXF import 14 May 2022 08:29 #120517

Do you get the same behavior as the OP if you use the Import window?

Slow MXF import 14 May 2022 17:11 #120519

• dtmp
It doesn't let me drag and drop into the media browser window like some files. I always have to use the import window.

Slow MXF import 16 May 2022 20:26 #120553

I seem to recall having to install a Canon XF plugin of some variety...

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 00:13 #120584

• dtmp
I tried this one, but did not change anything.

id.canon/en/support/0200654702?model=4888B

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 01:07 #120585

Sorry Tom, I missed seeing your question. I haven't imported MXF using the import dialog in a while and don't have any footage in front of me to test, but I recall it imported fairly quickly and was usable quickly but I could see the background process chugging along, copying and rewrapping into the library.

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 02:06 #120587

Thanks Terry.

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 12:34 #120594

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521

I shoot on a Canon XF100 that produces MXF MPEG2 files....FCPX, it seems to take FOREVER to import, especially long clips (more than 10 minutes)....When I check the final FCPX file in the "Final Cut Original Media" folder, the files are now .mov but still MPEG2...

FCP must re-wrap (not transcode) certain formats which copies that media to the library. That process is normally fairly fast. I don't know why it seems to be so slow in your case. If the imported .mov files in your library "original media" folder are still MPEG-2, that implies they were re-wrapped, not transcoded.

However in general it's best to import using "leave files in place", but FCP won't do that for tree-oriented formats. IMO the best solution is use the 3rd-party utility EditReady and externally re-wrap the files, then import to FCP using "leave files in place". The rewrap preset of EditReady is extremely fast and combines all camera metadata, joins split files, etc. I've used it on various MXF formats but MXF is just the wrapper -- I don't have any MXF-wrapped Canon XF100 media to test. hedge.video/editready

EditReady is not just usable for this one case but for any case such as AVCHD or other tree-oriented formats. The latest version can also transcode from Blackmagic BRAW to ProRes.

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 14:41 #120598

Count me as another vote for EditReady. If you prefer to leave files in place, this tool is indispensable.

Slow MXF import 18 May 2022 15:27 #120600

• dtmp
Hmmm, another $80 program to do what FCP legacy did quite well?!

FFMEPG does it for free with this:
ffmpeg -i "concat:input.MXF" -codec copy output.MXF

Hang on, I've discovered some work-a-rounds, will post soon.

• Page: