fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Capture Live Video while editing? 05 May 2022 09:17 #120415

Hello! I have a question:

I have a podcast. We recently moved to video and I'm not sure how to do what I want to be able to do. I'll try to explain it quickly and simply.

When I go to edit the show, I have three compound clips on the time-line; 1) Full screen video of the guest, 2) Fullscreen video of me (host), and 3) A split screen shot of both of us with a nice frame around our images.

Each of these three are compound clips because they are a merger of the professional audio file and the video file synced, and then a frame placed on top of it. I can post reference pics if you want me to.

The issue... is that sometimes I have to go back and re-record something I said, or add a clip of me nodding and smiling that replaces a clip where I coughed or something.

Scenario 1: I'D LIKE... to be able to have my Canon EOS R6 hooked directly up to my iMac, so that while I'm editing in FCP X, if I come across a clip that needs to be replaced, (and let's assume I have my studio lights on, and the same shirt, etc. for continuity), I can just record that video clip right then and there, pop it in, and move on.

Scenario 2: We have some episodes that were recorded last year, but haven't been put out yet. They were shot on our old background, which isn't very flattering, and our new studio setup is beautiful, so I'd like to edit those episodes and then go back and re-record my entire hour of responses against the new backdrop, so there's continuity across all the episodes.

To complicate things a little... I record my audio through a Shure MV7 (USB). I can also plug it into a Focusrite audio interface via XLR if necessary. We record that audio directly into Logic Pro while we're recording the show and then in post, sync the pro audio to the video files from Riverside or Zoom.

I'm thinking I might be able to simplify the setup a bit, but not 100% how.

Questions are:

1) Can I record my video WITH the Shure MV7 pro audio directly into FCP X while I'm editing, and I mean live. I press play on the time-line, so as my guest is talking, I can respond to them in real time and it gets recorded by FCP X.

2) If I can, I think the audio from the MV7 should still be recorded into Logic so I can add EQ and the post we normally do, then I can drop that audio into FCP X and sync it to a new clip, and replace the old video with the new one.

3) Going forward, as we record more episodes this season, Do you think it's still best to record the video and audio separately like we do, or should I consider syncing them to one source?

4) We just got an Elgato 4k camlink capture device but haven't tested it yet. We wanted to get higher res video from riverside.fm and they said that's the best way.

I know that's a lot of info and hopefully it's clear. Thanks for all your help and if there's anything I need to clarify, please let me know.

Thank you!
Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Capture Live Video while editing? 05 May 2022 13:30 #120417

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
You could try recording directly in QuickTime Player (new movie recording). Record audio there and in Logic. Process your audio in Logic. Bring everythng into FCP and sync the movie recording with your Logic audio, then disable the movie recording audio and edit into your project.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Capture Live Video while editing? 07 May 2022 17:05 #120440

Thank you! Good idea!

Capture Live Video while editing? 08 May 2022 22:31 #120447

• Redifer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
I'm not sure why Logic is needed. Final Cut Pro can do EQ and whatnot and it's a lot easier to do anything with recorded audio meant for video than it is in Logic. Plus you wouldn't need to worry about re-syncing. Are you adding musical instruments to your recording? Logic is more a music app and less a sound app.

Capture Live Video while editing? 10 May 2022 06:25 #120466

I like the control of Logic. We also have multiple audio files, music, multiple guests, etc., and it's easier in Logic to manage it all as I've used it for years and years, etc.

• Page: