fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 02 May 2022 06:49 #120349

Hello
I'm trying to free up space on a 2TB external hard drive where my library is.
The library is 1TB and stored footage takes the drive up to 1.8 GB.
FCXP has started stalling a lot during edit..
I bought some LaCie 5TB drives.
I tried backing up the library, to the new drive, but that kept stalling too.

I googled solutions, deleted render files, I updated software etc. I still have very little space left on my 2TB drive - I noticed I'd a ton of Events created in my library. In the process of the edit I'd created loads of events, to be able to access footage and ideas easily.

As per online advice, I decided to create a new library on the LaCie drive just for non-essential events and move them there. Will moving them create a mess, or should this work ok? If I use footage from those moved events, do I just need to reimport it?

(However now having moved a lot of the events to that other library on the other external HD, it, does not seem to have reduced my library sized in any significant way.... : ( )
Any thoughts on all the above appreciated!

Second question - Doing back-ups of my whole library takes ages! But I don't see any reason to do a full back-up every time, usually I am just re-editing my main project on the timeline.

Is there a way I can save time, by backing up my main project only, as my daily back-up routine and not the whole library and all its content ?

Many Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Goldfalme.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 14 May 2022 14:49 #120518

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has any advice for me.. thanks so much

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 15 May 2022 03:52 #120521

Is all the media on the 2TB drive for a single project or multiple projects?

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 16 May 2022 14:53 #120538

Hi Larrie, one project.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 16 May 2022 15:13 #120539

OK. When you imported the media into FCP did you Leave Files in place or Copy them to the Library? Moving events from one library to another just copies the media to the new library. It does not move it. What you need to do is move the non essential media to the LaCie drive and then relink it.

One way to keep the number of Events under control is the use of Keywords to identify the clips and parts of clips.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 18 May 2022 19:03 #120610

Ah ha, thanks Larrie, that explains why it didn't free up space.

Yes I kind of went crazy, I used keywords, events, markers, notes.. still learning!
I found events better than keywords for easy access gathering a set of clips together. So I used keywords for the intellectual/story content and I used events for broader themes, such as a particular interviewee or general theme.

Do you have any thoughts on a system of backing up, that does not including backing up the entire library, and just the work I've completed that day? Which is usually just my main timeline project..

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 19 May 2022 00:04 #120614

By default, FCP saves a backup of the library database every 15 minutes or so to your Movies/Final Cut Backups folder. This is the database only, no media, so make sure your media is also backed up somewhere. If you have a TimeMachine drive configured, ~/Movies/Final Cut Backups/ will be backed up there as well. Ive used Carbon Copy Cloner and I hear recommendations for SuperDuper too.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 19 May 2022 04:11 #120615

My backup solution is as follows. So far it has worked very well.

1. Copy original media to internal SSD from camera cards.
2. Make a second copy of original media to an external hard drive that is stored off line and powered down.
3. Import media into FCP with Leave Files in Place checked.
4. Set Time Machine to ignore the original media folder while backing up the Library and database backup files.

Some of you may not like this solution. All I can say is it works for me and saved lots of space on my TM drive.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 24 May 2022 19:14 #120733

Thanks for replies so far, most appreciated.

I'd be greatful for advice on my effort below to get best practice foundations in place.
I may have unnecessary copies of files. I'd like to keep it all under control anyway, before my projects get any bigger.. So this is my current scenario.

1: When I created my project I 'copied files to library'. So I think that means, I now have the original footage, both in the library (which is saved on my Project's External 2TB HD) and in the Original Footage file, also on that same HD.

This is what I currently have for my project set up:
Library Properties  External HD 2TB
Media     In Library
Motion Content  In Motion Templates Folder
Cache     In Library
Backups  In Final Cut Backups

2: I then have a 2nd external HD 5TB for BackUps. I copied the contents of my Project External 2TB HD to there, about a month ago.That I presume now means I have my original footage x 4, in total. I don't want to delete my original footage files just in case I need them for other projects etc

3: What I've decided to do going forward, is make a manual back-up at the end of each day of the Library backup (in the Movies folder) to my external HD. I understand I should be able to open that, if the drive I'm working from or the Movie folder backups fail in any way, and relink footage.

So I did a trial run to see could I rely on that as a system. (and on the Movies folder backups as I'd never tried to use them) So I copied the latest Backup from Movies folder to an external HD and then opened it in FCPX. I then went to relink files. However this is not proving straight forward.. Many files have not relinked.. one file gives me this message "The original file and new file have no shared media range."

Some audio files that came from the internal sound effects library didn't relink, couldn't be found, only I remembered where it had come from. Another file won't link because it says it's looking for a .mov file, but the orignal file is an .mp4. I don't know why the file inside FCXP is different from the original media.. how did it change type?

Actually they are the three main issues, all the other files have relinked fine..

Any thoughts on this most appreciated.

(I also plan to start using Time Machine. New laptop and still getting things sorted.)

Last edit: by Goldfalme.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 24 May 2022 19:31 #120734

• DaveM
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 49
Some "problematic" media files are automatically converted during import by FCP. For example, mp3 files get converted into PCM-style audio within an .mov file.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 25 May 2022 15:55 #120749

1. You are correct, the media is duplicated. One copy in the FCP library and the other on the 2TB drive. Having the original media and a managed FCP library on the same drive is not a good practice. The original media should be backed up on a different drive.

2. Again you are correct, there are now four copies of your media. Two in the FCP managed library and two on drives. You should be able to delete the backup library from the 5TB drive and the original footage from the 2TB drive.

My suggestion for doing this would be to move the library and original media files, from their respective drives, to the trash but not delete them yet. Open the library in FCP to check that all the media is there. Once you verify that all the media is still connected the trash can be emptied.

3. My experience is that the relinking process is not perfect. There always seems to be some media that needs to be reimported.

Freeing up space by moving events to a new library 04 Jul 2022 21:41 #121227

Update. I'm all sorted now : )
Thanks so much for the advice.
Invaluable!

• Page: