fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Angle Viewer bug 28 Apr 2022 14:24 #120281

Hey!

Ever since Multicam function was introduced I've had this bug... Sometimes when switching angle (mostly these days when alt-switching) the thumbnails in the Angle Viewer get distorted to the point they are useless. This is most common if the footage in the angle is resized and so, but happens sometimes anyway. See attached images.
I've had this across all versions of FCP and across every Mac I've used. Now it's still happening on my new Mac Studio in FCP 10.6.2.

Has anyone else seen this and found a solution?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Angle Viewer bug 28 Apr 2022 14:39 #120282

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Is there anything in common with all of the projects, such as source media frame size, codec, frame rate, number of angles, etc? Do you transcode the media used in multicams? Is the "create optimized media for multicam clips" preference turned on?

Have you tried doing a test in a new user account? Or, doing a test on a new system with no other third-party SW installed (just Apple "pro" applications and bundled applications)?

It's got to be frustrating. I use multicam clips a bunch and haven't seen this behavior...

Last edit: by DaveM.

Angle Viewer bug 28 Apr 2022 15:57 #120283

Nothing really in common.
And I always do a clean install when getting a new computer.

I haven't tried in a while but it used to happen 100% of the time if the angle hade been scaled!

One thing that has been suggested to me is that it might be related to disk speed. It seems to be happening more the more angles I view at the same time, which seems to suggest there might be something to it. Weird thing is that it happens when switching when not playing. And in the project I posted images from, 9 angles play back absolutely fine. It's UHD, 10bit I-Frame at 25p from FX9, FX6, A7SIII. And my drive is an Samsung EVO970 in a usb-c chassi reaching 520mb/s)

Was hoping someone knew for sure the problem would go away if I just get a faster drive.
I guess I could move it to my internal drive and test it though.

Is there anything in common with all of the projects, such as source media frame size, codec, frame rate, number of angles, etc? Do you transcode the media used in multicams? Is the "create optimized media for multicam clips" preference turned on?

Have you tried doing a test in a new user account? Or, doing a test on a new system with no other third-party SW installed (just Apple "pro" applications and bundled applications)?

It's got to be frustrating. I use multicam clips a bunch and haven't seen this behavior...

Angle Viewer bug 28 Apr 2022 16:27 #120284

Ok, so I tried moving the project over to the internal 4-5000mb/s on my Mac Studio and the issue still prevails. I could, however play back all 15 angles which wasn't possible before.

Angle Viewer bug 28 Apr 2022 17:25 #120285

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
You didn't mention which codec the clips are using. Did you transcode the source media to ProRes or use the optimize media option during or after import into FCP?Proxy files? Again, is "create optimized media for multicam clips" turned on in the preferences?

You should be able to calculate the bit rate of your media (add all of the clips in the multicam together) and compare that to your disk's speed/bandwidth. The 520 MB/s you mention seems a bit slow. Is this an M.2 NVMe module? What size is it? How old? Samsung mentions read and write speeds of over 2000 MB/s. FYI, SSDs can slow down significantly with age or when they get hot (whereas spinning disks usually slow down when getting near their capacity).

Angle Viewer bug 29 Apr 2022 14:41 #120291

It's the codecs from the cameras UHD, 10bit I-Frame at 25p from FX9, FX6, A7SIII. But this issue was also there back when I used mostly ProRes from my FS700 recorded to the Convergent Design 7Q.
No optimised or proxy files. I can't remember if I ever saw the issue using proxies or not.

And also the issue was there when I tested it on the internal drive of my Mac Studio which measures 5000mb/s read.

When I'm Playing back 11 angles at the same time the Activity Monitor says it's using 250-290 mb/s.

So it seems I can rule out disk speed being the culprit.

Last edit: by DmitriZigany.

Angle Viewer bug 29 Apr 2022 14:45 #120292

I use multicam clips a bunch and haven't seen this behavior...
How many angles do you usually work with?
I regularly work with 8-20 angles, and it seems to be an issue mostly on higher angle counts...

Angle Viewer bug 29 Apr 2022 19:51 #120297

I've seen this on as few as 2 angles... in my case I was more likely to see it if the project was longer than 15-20 minutes, or if one or more angles was scaled (usually 4K down to 1080). Hasn't happened in quite awhile for me though. I don't typically work with more than 4 angles, so anecdote is anecdotal.

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 00:04 #120305

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Would you please post a screenshot of the Playback tab of your FCP preferences?

What is the exact model of the USB-C enclosure you're using? The connector is USB-C, but Is the enclosure/chassis Thunderbolt 3/4, USB-C/USB 3.1, or USB-C/USB 3.2?

Which port do you use to connect the enclosure/chassis to your Mac?

Which model Mac Studio do you have?

Does the enclosure get hot during extended use?

This info would be most helpful in troubleshooting your issue. Thanks.

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 01:32 #120306

It's USB-C 3.1 gen 2. Deltaco enclosures with, Samsung EVO 970 2TB drives in them. They don't get particularly hot.
But I've seen this on older spinning drives, and also happens on the internal drive...

Seen it across all my recent Macs 2012 MacBook Pro, 2018 MacBook Pro, an Hackintosh and now my Mac Studio with M1 Max 32gb ram, 32 gpu cores, 1 TB internal drive.

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 01:34 #120307

Nice to hear I'm not the only that has seen this!
Yes, to the scaling that is the surest way to make thois happen. But usually its fine as long as the clips are set to "fit" but once you scale them it happens...

I've seen this on as few as 2 angles... in my case I was more likely to see it if the project was longer than 15-20 minutes, or if one or more angles was scaled (usually 4K down to 1080). Hasn't happened in quite awhile for me though. I don't typically work with more than 4 angles, so anecdote is anecdotal.

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 01:51 #120309

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 11:04 #120316

Attachments:

Angle Viewer bug 30 Apr 2022 14:23 #120317

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks for posting your Playback settings. Do you ever get the warning that frames have been dropped?

Angle Viewer bug 02 May 2022 03:05 #120347

Thanks for posting your Playback settings. Do you ever get the warning that frames have been dropped?
No, playback is great. This particular project eben plays back with the Angle Viewer open playing back 9 angles plus timeline with effects on it...

• Page: