fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FCPX Crashing 20-30x daily 28 Apr 2022 07:53 #120272

FCPX is crashing 20-30x daily for me. It only happens when I drag and drop something from Finder onto the timeline. Doesn't matter what file it is. Driving me crazy and killing my workflow.

Been a FCPX user for many years and never had this issue. Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Installed all updates for FCPX and macOS
  • Closed all open libraries and created a new 'test' library
  • Closed other applications
  • Deleted Generated Clip Files
  • Rebooted the machine at least 10x a day
I've attached the crash report (it was 1200+ pages, so I've only included the first few pages)

Really appreciate any help! I'm going crazy over here!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

FCPX Crashing 20-30x daily 28 Apr 2022 08:55 #120274

Trash your preferences whenever the application crashes.

Don’t drag from the Finder, use the import window if dragging causes crashes. What’s the media you’re dragging?

What OS and FCP version did you update from?

Please post an EtreCheck report etrecheck.com giving the application Full Disk Access in Privacy System Preferences.

FCPX Crashing 20-30x daily 28 Apr 2022 12:09 #120276

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521

FCPX is crashing 20-30x daily for me. It only happens when I drag and drop something from Finder onto the timeline. Doesn't matter what file it is...

The crash dump shows a hang, not a crash. As you observed it happened during a drag/drop of media from Finder to the FCP timeline. An FCP thread was apparently validating the URL of the source location, entered a wait state and never returned.

What is the source location? Is it a locally-attached drive, a network location, an SD card or what? Can you try first copying that to your internal drive then try importing from there? Does it happen if you drag/drop to the event in the event browser? Are FCP Preferences>Import set to "Leave files in place" or "Copy to library storage location"?

Does FCP have permissions on the disk or folder you are importing from?

Drag/drop from Finder should work, provided it's on a supported volume type and permissions are OK. However, as Tom mentioned, also try importing using the normal import dialog.

FCPX Crashing 20-30x daily 28 Apr 2022 13:20 #120277

Are you using a secondary display for part of Final Cut? I found I would often get crashes if I tried to drag/drop between displays. Its a shame because I have 3 displays and would very much like to devote a display to my timeline, but it wasn't worth the crashes. Since I switched to using only two for Final Cut (interface and AV output) things have been rock solid. Its nice to have a display for scripts and email and stuff anyway.

FCPX Crashing 20-30x daily 29 Apr 2022 02:26 #120286

The crash dump shows a hang, not a crash. As you observed it happened during a drag/drop of media from Finder to the FCP timeline. An FCP thread was apparently validating the URL of the source location, entered a wait state and never returned.

What is the source location? Is it a locally-attached drive, a network location, an SD card or what? Can you try first copying that to your internal drive then try importing from there? Does it happen if you drag/drop to the event in the event browser? Are FCP Preferences>Import set to "Leave files in place" or "Copy to library storage location"?

Does FCP have permissions on the disk or folder you are importing from?

Drag/drop from Finder should work, provided it's on a supported volume type and permissions are OK. However, as Tom mentioned, also try importing using the normal import dialog.

This is very helpful! I'm using a networked drive (a NAS RAID array), so based on your sharp observation about the URL source location, there must be something with the NAS. I'm going to run some updates on that today -- hopefully it'll fix it.

Will report back -- thank you!

What OS and FCP version did you update from?

Please post an EtreCheck report etrecheck.com giving the application
Full Disk Access in Privacy System Preferences.

- FCPX I'm running 10.6.2. The issue first appeared while using 10.6, but it worked fine on 10.6 for awhile
- macOS I'm on 12.3.1

If the fix above doesn't work, I'll post an EtreCheck report next. Thank you so much!

• Page: