fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 15:23 #120217

After an arduous amount of time spent on this g0d forsaken program, I am throwing my hands up in defeat. Hehe, you have won. I have about two days left to finish a massive project, and Final Cut's insistence in stopping me is quite amusing. The beach ball. The infamous rainbow wheel, everywhere I go, I see it. Every command Z, every delete, every action, he's there. Staring at me, burning my sanity. The rendering. There is no reason in the entire world why he's deciding it's a fine time to start rendering, but he still does it. No matter what. I can't watch my project without the audio no-clipping into the backrooms and the video deciding to take a short lil' break to breathe, and then appear without a moment's notice, seconds later. These are the main issues, that have kept me in the past few days from accomplishing little to nothing.

What is the issue here? Is it that I am editing a heck ton of 4k footage on a 2018 Mac Mini with a 3ghz 6-core intel i5 processor, with 8gb of memory 2667 mhz ddr4? Or maybe, for some obscure reason, it's my graphics card providing only 1536 of MB? Or maybe it's my 4tb hard drive not being fast enough? Or maybe, it's all these random plugins I have clogging up FCPX? Whatever it is, it's causing me to go into conniptions and bury myself in 10 feet snow. Any help would be much appreciated!

(And no, I can't run a darn etrecheck because apparently it's damaged and can't be opened. Screw you, Apple and your useless antics)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shadow Flamingo1.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 16:56 #120219

• anickt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74
Blaming FCP is the easy way out. You answered your question in your “what is the issue…”. It is some or all of those things.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 17:02 #120220

Oh oh, I feel your pain. I've been there too.

For me, it was a corrupted project file, caused by crashes and a system that wasn't happy with my drive set up. Hope the same isn't happening to you because the recovery was long a painful and required a lot of re-work.

Things you can try:

1) Immediately back up your whole project, and by that I mean quit FCPX, and do a backup of everything, your project file, and all your media. Put that in a safe place and don't touch it.
2) Delete your render files. You might have something corrupted in there that's causing FCPX to beachball. support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/final-cut-pro/ver68a8c250/mac
3) If your render files are not at fault, start down the path of going backward in your edit and opening your backups. You may not know this but FCPX has had your back the whole time and been doing automatic backups for you. support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/final-cut-...a9/10.6.2/mac/11.5.1
4) Beyond that, and this is getting into more extreme and desperate territory, see if you can export a master from your existing timeline/project. Do it high-quality like ProRes 422 at least. Start a new library, a new project and import that. Yes, you'll lose the ability to access any of your edits, adjustments. You're basically baking in everything you've done at this point, BUT with 2 days to go, it might just save your project.

Just off the top of my head, but I hope it helps. I'm sure a lot of us have been there too. You're not alone in this.

Flemming

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 18:23 #120225

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Without knowing more about your version of FCP, macOS, types of storage (SSD, spinning drive, USB or Thunderbolt, etc.), I'd suggest trying a couple of things:

- Turn off background rendering in FCP preferences.
- Optimize your media, or create ProRes proxies (or both). For proxies, choose frame sizes down to 1/8 of the original 4K resolution. Before export (or color work), you could switch back to original/optimized media (Viewer menu).

These should help with the performance and responsiveness of FCP.

Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 18:23 #120226

If you can't open/run Etrecheck, that sounds like deeper issues going on. What you're experiencing in FCP is not normal. If it were me, I'd try to get Etrecheck working and post a report here for others to see what's going on.

Some wild guesses:

FCP preferences are corrupt. Reset them.

Chrome and the system killing keystone daemons are installed. chromeisbad.com for instructions on how to completely remove all the cruft Google installs. You should reinstall FCP afterwards.

Drives are formatted to something other than HFS+ or APFS.

CleanMyMac was installed and it damaged your System.

You're running 3rd party antivirus software.

(And no, I can't run a darn etrecheck because apparently it's damaged and can't be opened.

Last edit: by TerryB.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:13 #120227

Huzzah! It is a joyous day. I managed to get Etrecheck up and running for the first time, so that's a step in the right direction. (It for some reason previously told me that it was severely damaged. Dunno)

Here is the report: (Main problem seems to be heavy CPU usage by Final Cut and Chrome Helper, so this thing about Google messing with computers performance that I have been hearing about could be the case here possibly, search me)

EtreCheckPro version: 6.6 (66014)
Report generated: 2022-04-26 22:01:16
Download EtreCheckPro from etrecheck.com
Runtime: 2:57

Performance: Excellent

Problem: Beachballing
Description:
Mainly, constant rendering causing my FCPX project to go really slowly
, beachballs any time an action gets performed, (such as command Z, bl
ade tool, simple things), impossible playback with constant frame-rate
issues, etc.

Major Issues:
Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

Heavy CPU usage - Some processes are using an unusually high amount of CPU.

Minor Issues:
These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.
Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.
Runaway user process - A user process is using a large percentage of your CPU.
Heavy I/O usage - Your system is under heavy I/O use. This will reduce your performance.
Insufficient permissions - EtreCheck running under a standard user. Diagnostic information may not be available.
x86-only Apps - This computer has x86-only apps might not work on future versions of the operating system.
Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.
Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.
Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:
Mac mini (2018)
Mac mini Model: Macmini8,1
3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-8500B) CPU: 6-core
8 GB RAM - Upgradeable
BANK 0/ChannelA-DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR4 2667
BANK 2/ChannelB-DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR4 2667

Video Information:
Intel UHD Graphics 630 - VRAM: 1536 MB
LG TV 3840 x 2160

Drives:
disk0 - APPLE SSD AP0256M 251.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)
Internal PCI-Express 8.0 GT/s x4 NVM Express
disk0s1 - EFI [EFI] 315 MB
disk0s2 [APFS Container] 250.69 GB
disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 250.69 GB (Shared by 6 volumes)
disk1s1 - Macintosh HD - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (Shared - 108.16 GB used)
disk1s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (Shared - 279 MB used)
disk1s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (Shared - 1.10 GB used)
disk1s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (Shared - 2.15 GB used)
disk1s5 (APFS) [APFS Container] (Shared - 25.15 GB used)
disk1s5s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) [APFS Snapshot] (Shared - 25.15 GB used)
disk1s6 - Update (APFS) (Shared - 106 MB used)

disk2 - Seagate Portable 2.00 TB
External USB 5 Gbit/s USB
disk2s1 - M***** (MS-DOS FAT32) 2.00 TB

disk3 - WD My Passport 25AF 4.00 TB
External USB 5 Gbit/s USB
disk3s1 199 MB
disk3s2 [APFS Container] 4.00 TB
disk4 [APFS Virtual drive] 4.00 TB (Shared by 1 volumes)
disk4s1 - M********** (APFS) (Shared - 1.50 TB used)

Mounted Volumes:
disk1s1 - Macintosh HD - Data [APFS Virtual drive]
250.69 GB (Shared - 108.16 GB used, 116.27 GB available, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Data
Encrypted

disk1s2 - Preboot [APFS Preboot]
250.69 GB (Shared - 279 MB used, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Preboot

disk1s4 - VM [APFS VM]
250.69 GB (Shared - 2.15 GB used, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/VM

disk1s5 [APFS Container]
250.69 GB (Shared - 25.15 GB used, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Update/mnt1
Encrypted
Partitions:
disk1s5s1

disk1s5s1 - Macintosh HD [APFS Snapshot]
250.69 GB (Shared - 25.15 GB used, 116.27 GB available, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /
Read-only: Yes

disk1s6 - Update
250.69 GB (Shared - 106 MB used, 113.61 GB free)
APFS
Mount point: /System/Volumes/Update

disk4s1 - M*********
4.00 TB (Shared - 1.50 TB used, 2.49 TB free)
APFS
Mount point: /Volumes/M**********
Owners enabled: No

Network:
Interface en0: Ethernet
Interface en9: ZTE Mobile Broadband
Interface en1: Wi-Fi
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

Screen sharing: Enabled

System Software:
macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)
Time since boot: About an hour

Notifications:

mInstaller.app
3 notifications

Security:
Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers
System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Antivirus software: Apple

Screen sharing: Enabled

Unsigned Files:
Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.qustodio.engine.plist
Executable: /bin/bash '/Library/Application Support/Qustodio/bin/qproxy/proxy-selector.sh'
Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Apps: 2

Old Applications:
15 x86-only apps

Kernel Extensions:
/Library/Application Support/Qustodio/bin/qproxy
[Not Loaded] qnke.kext - com.qustodio.qnke (Qustodio Technologies SL, 1.0 - SDK 10.9)

System Launch Daemons:
[Not Loaded] 36 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 194 Apple tasks
[Running] 145 Apple tasks
[Other] One Apple task

System Launch Agents:
[Not Loaded] 16 Apple tasks
[Loaded] 190 Apple tasks
[Running] 143 Apple tasks
[Other] One Apple task

Launch Daemons:
[Loaded] com.adobe.acc.installer.v2.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2020-05-20)
[Loaded] com.fxfactory.FxFactory.helper.plist (Noise Industries, LLC - installed 2022-04-10)
[Running] com.motionvfx.Helper.plist (MotionVFX Szymon Masiak - installed 2022-04-10)
[Running] com.qustodio.engine.plist (Not signed - installed 2022-04-19)
[Running] com.qustodio.updater.plist (Qustodio Technologies SL - installed 2022-04-19)
[Loaded] com.teamviewer.Helper.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2020-03-28)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_service.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2020-04-27)

Launch Agents:
[Running] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2020-05-20)
[Running] com.qustodio.apptray.plist (Qustodio Technologies SL - installed 2022-04-19)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2020-04-27)
[Not Loaded] com.teamviewer.teamviewer_desktop.plist (TeamViewer GmbH - installed 2020-04-27)

User Launch Agents:
[Loaded] com.adobe.ccxprocess.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2020-05-20)
[Loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google LLC - installed 2022-04-19)
[Loaded] com.google.keystone.xpcservice.plist (Google LLC - installed 2022-04-19)
[Loaded] net.kidlogger.plist (Tesline-Service s.r.l. - installed 2019-10-30)

User Login Items:
[Not Loaded] KMA helper (Tesline-Service s.r.l. - installed 2019-01-05)
Modern Login Item
/Applications/KMA.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/KMA helper.app

[Loaded] StartUpHelper (Spotify - installed 2022-03-12)
Modern Login Item
~/Applications/Spotify.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/StartUpHelper.app

Internet Plug-ins:
AdobeAAMDetect: 3.0.0.0 (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2020-05-20)

Audio Plug-ins:
BlackHole16ch: 0.2.9 (Existential Audio Inc. - installed 2021-02-22)
MMAudio Device: 1.3.3 (Romero Stanley - installed 2022-04-13)

Backup:
Time Machine Not Configured!

Performance:
System Load: 4.29 (1 min ago) 4.67 (5 min ago) 4.93 (15 min ago)
Nominal I/O speed: 20.60 MB/s
File system: 23.09 seconds
Write speed: 1242 MB/s
Read speed: 2023 MB/s

CPU Usage Snapshot:
Type Overall
System: 15 %
User: 47 %
Idle: 38 %

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU:
Process (count) CPU (Source - Location)
Final Cut Pro 159.66 % (App Store)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (15) 70.22 % (Google LLC)
opendirectoryd 34.18 % (Apple)
WindowServer 18.68 % (Apple)
kernel_task 15.67 % (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory:
Process (count) RAM usage (Source - Location)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (15) 1.69 GB (Google LLC)
Final Cut Pro 768 MB (App Store)
kernel_task 547 MB (Apple)
EtreCheckPro 410 MB (Etresoft, Inc.)
Google Chrome 141 MB (Google LLC)

Top Processes Snapshot by Network Use:
Process Input / Output (Source - Location)
webfilterproxyd 7 MB / 1 MB (Apple)
mDNSResponder 274 KB / 178 KB (Apple)
apsd 23 KB / 73 KB (Apple)
remoted 39 KB / 49 KB (Apple)
corekdld 293 B / 27 KB (Apple)

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:
Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)
Final Cut Pro 81 (App Store)
Google Chrome Helper (Renderer) (15) 14 (Google LLC)
opendirectoryd 10 (Apple)
WindowServer 10 (Apple)
VTDecoderXPCService (5) 3 (Apple)

Virtual Memory Information:
Physical RAM: 8 GB

Free RAM: 388 MB
Used RAM: 6.03 GB
Cached files: 1.59 GB

Available RAM: 1.97 GB
Swap Used: 1.38 GB

Software Installs (past 60 days):
Install Date Name (Version)
2022-03-18 XProtectPlistConfigData (2158)
2022-03-18 MRTConfigData (1.91)
2022-04-06 Pro Video Formats (2.2.2)
2022-04-10 FxFactory (7.2.8)
2022-04-19 Qustodio (11.22.33.44)

Diagnostics Information (past 7-30 days):
Directory /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports is not accessible.
Run as an administrator account to see more information.

End of report

EtreCheckPro vers
End of report

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:26 #120228

Follow the instructions at https::/chromeisbad.com to completely remove all Chrome related files. Just removing the app is not enough. Reboot then reinstall FCP by dragging it to the trash (don't empty it) and go to the AppStore, clicking your name at the bottom left and redownload FCP. Note that this will install the latest version available for your macOS which is FCP 10.6.2.

Also, you have a 2TB drive that's DOS formatted. If it's used with FCP you'll need to reformat as HFS+ or APFS.

Last edit: by TerryB.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:31 #120229

Wow, that's hard to swallow. So I can't use Chrome ever again?

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:32 #120230

Just a quick note to what Terry wrote: You should also update the OS. You’re still running one of the first iterations of that operating system.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:34 #120231

Use one of the other Chromium based browser Edge or Brave or use Firefox if you can’t use Safari.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 19:40 #120232

Entirely your choice but it would be the first thing I would try in addition to Tom's advice to update the OS.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 26 Apr 2022 21:28 #120236

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
While removing Chrome and reinstalling FCP is probably helpful, you still need to consider what I suggested earlier.

My suggestions will definitely have a positive effect on using FCP. In fact, you're still going to see performance issues if you don't implement some or all of what I've mentioned earlier.

Having an external disk formatted with MS-DOS FAT32 limits file sizes to 4 GB, which could cause serious issues, especially if generated files are being stored on that disk. If you are using this disk with FCP, you should re-initialize the volume with macOS Extended (Journaled) ASAP. I recommend APFS only for SSDs (APFS is optimized for use with SSD).

Also, both of your external disks are really "inadequate for purpose" when working with 4K media or on more complex projects. Those drives have a maximum bandwidth of 5 Gb/s (less in realworld usage — USB3.0 connections with a spinning disk typically have a realworld bandwidth from 85 MB/s to 120 MB/s; USB 3.2 and Thunderbolt connected disks can be much faster if they are SSDs, depending on the type of SSD). If the source media uses some variant of AVC/H.264/H.265, it stresses FCP (the computer's CPU) more than if you use ProRes (ProRes requires more storage, of course).

A "worse case" scenario with your current disk setup would be if you tried to edit unoptimized source media at 4k where you're using multicam clips with several angles. This can chew up bandwidth quite fast...

Again, to mitigate the disk I/O bandwidth issue, you should optimize media and make ProRes proxy files. You'll see a huge difference in the FCP UI's responseiveness if you make AND USE proxy files (start with 1/4 size, for example).

The other thing is to disable automatic background rendering in FCP's preferences. You can (manually) force things to render during lunch or a break. Things get rendered fully during export, anyway. You can also generate optimized media or proxy files on a per clip/file basis. This can help you reduce overall storage requirements for a project.

For color correction or complex FX work, you might want to switch from proxy to optimized files. Be sure to do this before final export so that highest quality media is rendered for export.

So, your setup may actually work fine with proxy files. Upgrading your RAM may help, as well.

Cheers.

Last edit: by DaveM.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 27 Apr 2022 03:47 #120240

• VTC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
Your system needs an enema beginning with ditching anything FAT32 related. I can run 4K (using proxy files if an edit gets really heavy) on a geriatic 2009 Mac Pro old soldier so there's all sorts of disjointed hardware / softwate problems with your setup.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 27 Apr 2022 11:14 #120245

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 521

...Final Cut's insistence in stopping me is quite amusing. The beach ball. The infamous rainbow wheel, everywhere I go, I see it. Every command Z, every delete, every action, he's there...

As already mentioned, you are running Monterey 12.0.1. There were well-reported memory leaks on that version which could cause problems like you've experienced. That version was released October 25, 2021, whereas the current version is 12.3.1, released March 31 2022. You need to upgrade to the latest version.

- Update to Monterey 12.3.1
- Update to latest FCP version
- Remove Chrome (at least temporarily while you troubleshoot this)
- Get rid of or reformat the FAT32 disk to MacOS Extended Journaled

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 29 Apr 2022 14:38 #120290

CleanMyMac was installed and it damaged your System.

Since September 2019, CleanMyMac X has been notarized by Apple. It's sold in the App Store. I don't see how it's reasonable to believe that the app has been or is damaging computers.

welp somebody save my brain cells from Final Cut 29 Apr 2022 14:58 #120293

"Since September 2019, CleanMyMac X has been notarized by Apple. It's sold in the App Store. I don't see how it's reasonable to believe that the app has been or is damaging computers."

Because the application works well for most users. Apple doesn't care otherwise. But for pro apps users it's still a complete piece of shit.

Last edit: by Tom Wolsky.
  • Page: