fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
{JFBCLogin}
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Long Project Crashes Instantly 25 Apr 2022 14:10 #120199

Have an approximately 2 hour long video. Pretty straight forward. A single zoom call layered 4 times (once for each speaker) with 2 .pngs for logos and the Griddy plug-in from FX Factory to clean up the zoom look. The plug in is once on each layer. This is all inside of a compound clip.

I was able to get the design down but going back into the compound clip to cut and make a change to the grid layout instantly crashes FCP. I've read that a lot of editors struggle with projects over 20 minutes. I don't have time to figure this out now so I have to go to PP but have 3 more of these to do and would like to know if there are any ways to work around this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Long Project Crashes Instantly 25 Apr 2022 15:57 #120200

• DaveM
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Are you working with 4 different camera files (or audio files) or just one clip of the zoom UI? Are you trying to create a video wall or do you want to switch between speakers (and maybe have them be full screen)?

It might be helpful to know the versions of FCP and macOS you're using, along with your hardware setup, type of external disks or storage, etc. Resolution and codec used in your editing? Have you optimized media or converted source files into ProRes? Was the zoom recording made with "optimize for 3rd party video editor" preference setting turned on?

Have you looked at the tutorial videos for Griddy? You might want to contact Griddy's developer if other avenues don't work (they may be able to offer advice on the most effective way to use Griddy for your projects):

osmfcpx

Cheers.

P.S. - I would say that editors who struggle with projects over 20 minutes have issues with their systems, workflow approach, or a lack of understanding in how to best use FCP, rather than there being any inherent issues with FCP itself.

Last edit: by DaveM.

Long Project Crashes Instantly 25 Apr 2022 21:45 #120205

There is no problem with large projects in FCP. I currently work on a project with 130 hours worth of clips (over 8000 individual) and editing projects between 120-90 min all in one single library. Works all flawlessly. macOS 12.3.1 and FCP 10.6.1 (can’t update yet because of ColorFinale). So you must have something else going on.

Long Project Crashes Instantly 26 Apr 2022 02:23 #120208

• anickt
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74

P.S. - I would say that editors who struggle with projects over 20 minutes have issues with their systems, workflow approach, or a lack of understanding in how to best use FCP, rather than there being any inherent issues with FCP itself.

Exactly this. I have done projects from 15 seconds to 2 hours with no issues. I am always wary of plug-ins and prefer to work within FCP/Motion to meet my requirements. I have used a number of plug-ins that work OK up to a point but don’t like to be pushed.

Long Project Crashes Instantly 27 Apr 2022 14:23 #120248

Perhaps it is my plugin from FX Factory causing the issue. I'll have to try to learn better for the next project. I'm still a relatively new editor to FCP and learning the inns and outs.

Long Project Crashes Instantly 27 Apr 2022 14:29 #120249

Thank you for such a long reply! It's a single file but duplicated 4 times, once for each speaker. It's 3 in some areas, 2 in others. Or it would be if FCP didn't keep crashing. I am building a 2x1 video wall, a 2x2 video wall, and a 1x1 video wall. I was trying to do this with a plugin from FXFactory but ended up just using photoshop and premiere pro since I didn't want to deal.

I am on 10.6.1 FCP and 12.3.1 on MacOS. My set up is an M1 Max fully specced out, editing off of the internal drive of 8TB. The resolution in the project is either 720 or 1080, not sure off the top of my head, in .mp4. Media is not optimized and the recording was an mp4 from Streamlabs. I do have that setting on as a backup, however.

I am SURE I don't have the optimal workflow figured out yet. I've only been editing a few projects on the software but they are real working projects. Not just simple work to play.

Thank you again for such a comprehensive reply! I love this place and can't wait to master this software to the same level as Premiere.

• Page: